• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
newbies and tightwads.

I consider myself to be both of these, particularly the last one haha.

If I am going to buy a bar it's going to be a good one. If I can come to a decision on a marking and knurling I will be putting my order through with ABC.

I will probably either sell my old bar, or if it's not worth enough I will hold onto it and set it up for T bar rows.

I'm not sure what the PTC knurling is, but if it's like the knurling on the Ironedge bar get that, as the standard ABC power bar knurling is like the texas power bar and it's pretty harsh and will tear your hands up with a high volume routine like Sheiko.
wouldn't bother with the olympic lifting marks, with oly lifting you can snatch with your hands as wide as you like so the marks are there just as a guide, as opposed to powerlifting where you can't bench with your hands outside the marks

I have the ABC bar with deep fine knurl. It isn't nearly as harsh as the texas but still provides excellent grip. It's not as good as Eleiko, but it's very good for training at home, especially for the price. I have sensitive skin and am prone to dermatitis on my hands and I can manage with the deep fine knurl. I would be cracked and bleeding with the Texas bar knurling.

I have the deep fine knurl (sticky's knurl) it is a pleasure and I have found I don't even need to chalk up anymore, I can also clean with this bar and not destroy my hands.

Definitely get power markings.

Excellent value for money with the ABC bars.

Get the cheese grater knurling. I have the Texas power bar and the knurling is good but I would like it harsher.

They knurling wears on them overtime anyway.

Order placed. I am currently waiting on an ABC power bar with the deep fine knurling, standard powerlifting markings and center marking on the center knurl. Thank you for all the advice.

Daniel from ABC was good to deal with on the phone and answered all the questions I had.

The deep fine knurling is the perfect mix between grip and comfort IMO, hands get a little torn up doing high rep deads, but other than that it is great.

Doesn't the knurling rip your hands apart and burn?

Or you like it rough?

Rough! Is there any other way ;)

In all seriousness, it's super grippy without the studs to rip your hands to bits.

The sportskraft bars I get from Europe are better and are 29mm, but also more expensive.

ABC power bar ordered tuesday, shipped wednesday...arrived Friday. Unfortunately note in my mailbox from Toll asking me to come and pick it up :(

The worst part is I had actually knocked off early today, I just didn't check the mailbox.

First workout on the ABC BOP220 power bar done. This thing is seriously amazing.
I am on the final stages of recovering from a minor knee injury so I just did a medium weight workout with a bit of everything thrown in.

I didn't realise how much energy was being wasted using a slippery, slightly bent bar with sleeves that moved up/down/side-to-side. power cleans and hang presses feel much smoother, deadlifts I don't have to pull as much slack out of the bar. With squats I can't feel the sleeves moving around as I walk the weight out. It's a great feeling, and I hoping it's going to translate into good gains.

The deep fine knurl is perfect. It's grippy as hell, but not too painful.
My skin is still intact, but I feel like I have a slight road rash. I would love to try a cheese grater version of the bar some time.

The bar comes from the factory pretty greasy, so get a rag to wipe it down before your first use. I can't wait to get some chalk on it and hit some deadlift PRs

Like I said, I can't believe what a step up this is from my old bar, and I just wish I had done it sooner.

Is this the bar you guys are talking about?

Australian Barbell Company Pty Ltd - 220CM OLY B/N POWER BAR

Looks to be over $600 delivered for a fairly standard bushing bar :/

I looked on that site and their other store-less site, couldn't find any dimensions for the shaft diameter.

I also find it a little strange that this needle bearing bar is less than $100 more expensive
Australian Barbell Company Pty Ltd - 220CM CHR MENS OLY BAR- NEEDLE
I understand needle bearings are fairly expensive, and even though I can't find any shaft dimensions for this either, I would hope that it is 28mm with a different kind of knurl. The difference in shaft material and knurl work combined with pricey needle bearings vs bushings, to me the price difference doesn't seem great enough.

I'm also finding no information on warranties anywhere which is an obvious concern on a $600 bar. Is it lifetime?

Also can anyone tell me if the bumper plates on there are for a single plate or a pair? The 25kg plate has a price of $474.51 which would be expensive for a pair and exorbitant for a single, like $100 more than Eleiko. The plates are also described as having 52mm bore holes which I'd think would flap around the bar a lot unless you lifted constantly with tight collars.

I have used ABC gear in the past, my last gym had chrome ABC bars. Not sure on their specifics, but they were definitely a cheaper model. Shafts of at least 30mm with chrome that made the knurl slippery. They had a centre knurl and I think powerlifting rings. They'd been there for a long time (I'd hope) as the knurl on the outer 6 inches of shaft had been smashed completely flat and black from being bashed in racks all their life. Made anything snatch grip a challenge! The sleeves had a moderate knurl making that enjoyable zippy noise adding or removing plates. They were regular brass bushing bars, but they'd completely seized up over the years, some even completely rusted. I think one of them would spin when forced to, the others would either scream and squeak or were completely fused. I remember black end caps with Australian Barbell Co on them. They had very little flex to them, I remember shrugging 200kg or so and it barely flexing at all.

In a previous gym, the nicest bar I had used until some experiences with WL bars was I think an ABC. It had a black shaft which I'd never seen before, and I recall it as being very thin compared to the regular cheap bars I was used to, definitely men's bar length though. It felt great to deadlift with apart from having a massive bend in it meaning you had to be sure to have the shaft oriented right before attempting to lift it.

Is this the bar you guys are talking about?

Australian Barbell Company Pty Ltd - 220CM OLY B/N POWER BAR
YES
Looks to be over $600 delivered for a fairly standard bushing bar :/
Undewr $500 delivered interstate if you ring up
I looked on that site and their other store-less site, couldn't find any dimensions for the shaft diameter.
28-29mm like all decent barbells, only cheap shit chinese bars and uber exotic squat bars are 30+mm
I also find it a little strange that this needle bearing bar is less than $100 more expensive
Australian Barbell Company Pty Ltd - 220CM CHR MENS OLY BAR- NEEDLE
I understand needle bearings are fairly expensive, and even though I can't find any shaft dimensions for this either, I would hope that it is 28mm with a different kind of knurl. The difference in shaft material and knurl work combined with pricey needle bearings vs bushings, to me the price difference doesn't seem great enough.
The shafts are identical except for the set-out of the rings

I'm also finding no information on warranties anywhere which is an obvious concern on a $600 bar. Is it lifetime?
Only if dropped on a platform on ABC bumpers, pretty much the same as any bar, although I do recall ABC replacing a poster's bar who had bent it in 6 months. Can't really warrant when some poeanut goes and drops 5 plate squats on the pins of a rack
Also can anyone tell me if the bumper plates on there are for a single plate or a pair? The 25kg plate has a price of $474.51 which would be expensive for a pair and exorbitant for a single, like $100 more than Eleiko. The plates are also described as having 52mm bore holes which I'd think would flap around the bar a lot unless you lifted constantly with tight collars.
Get iron edge standard range of bumpers better value, very well made

I have used ABC gear in the past, my last gym had chrome ABC bars. Not sure on their specifics, but they were definitely a cheaper model. Shafts of at least 30mm with chrome that made the knurl slippery. They had a centre knurl and I think powerlifting rings. They'd been there for a long time (I'd hope) as the knurl on the outer 6 inches of shaft had been smashed completely flat and black from being bashed in racks all their life. Made anything snatch grip a challenge! The sleeves had a moderate knurl making that enjoyable zippy noise adding or removing plates. They were regular brass bushing bars, but they'd completely seized up over the years, some even completely rusted. I think one of them would spin when forced to, the others would either scream and squeak or were completely fused. I remember black end caps with Australian Barbell Co on them. They had very little flex to them, I remember shrugging 200kg or so and it barely flexing at all.

Cock knockers in gyms abuse the fuck out of the bars, not much you can do about that. ABC represents the best value for money in barbells IMO

In a previous gym, the nicest bar I had used until some experiences with WL bars was I think an ABC. It had a black shaft which I'd never seen before, and I recall it as being very thin compared to the regular cheap bars I was used to, definitely men's bar length though. It felt great to deadlift with apart from having a massive bend in it meaning you had to be sure to have the shaft oriented right before attempting to lift it.

Answers in red

I have the troy Texas bar from gym and fitness, it is made by Capp and is EXACTLY the same bar as others sell and claim to be the "real" one