• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Too old to learn to squat?

My right hip pops out. I blame 14 years of childhood ballet for my farrked up hips. It happens less frequently now days, but I can still remember going shopping in New York with friends & I came to a sudden halt in the middle of the footpath on 5th Avenue because my hip had popped out mwahaha

Cannot move at all when this happens, its like I become paralysed on the spot. my friend Sven had to push me against the glass window of Tiffany's, stand on my right foot with his own foot & yank me up from beneath my arm pits, like he was going to pick me up. Hip clicked back in like a charm, but I felt like a freak show :D

New York's full of 'colourful characters' ... nobody would have batted an eyelid :)

New York's full of 'colourful characters' ... nobody would have batted an eyelid :)

Sadly, this is true lol

Although I think people thought we were having sexual relations mwahaha my groaning & squealing didn't help! Sven couldn't breathe he was laughing so hard :D

Ahh good times!

I find it amusing that someones actually called Sven.

lol He's swedish, we lived together in Greenwich Village for almost two years. He's a sculptor and is very gay - he's also still there, 10 years later and still an artist. Bless him. He's a good man. lol

There used to be a paralympian at my old gym in England who had really bad cerebal palsy. She couldn't walk without sticks and would go to the rack with her handler and squat 40kg for sets of 10

So yeah, even heavily disabled people that can't even walk still manage to squat so get your shit together if you say you can't squat because of dodgy knees or back etc etc

I'm gonna teach my 59 year old dad how to squat soon. he's even considering going into PTC. he's beast, he held a plank for 11 minutes at a fitness bootcamp last year. I was mirin' and completely jelly.

You don't LEARN to squat.... you FORGET.

Everyone of us was a master squatter when we were born until our way of life made us lazy and we forgot.

Kids are only good squatters because they have a massive counterbalance (disproportional head)
If you cut the babies head off I'm pretty sure it's squatting ability would be diminished

I think you may be right Oni, get most adults to squat down like a toddler does and most would start to fall backwards.

You don't LEARN to squat.... you FORGET.

Everyone of us was a master squatter when we were born until our way of life made us lazy and we forgot.

not sure about that, i was about the most un-co kid that ever existed...

Yep, we're not all born anatomically perfect. Lots of kids can't squat properly simply because of structural and mechanical reasons.

i always had a problem squatting without lifting my heels. I only understood the full reason for it a few years ago.
It really used to irk me that I'd get told I 'should' be able to squat easily if I just practiced.
Well, yes, I can squat but never with the amazing skill and depth of those who find it natural to do so.
I do lots of mobility work but dammit if my left ankle simply will never get the mobility you'd hope despite that effort.

Plus Oni makes a very good point.

One's ability to squat goes up exponentially when holding a weight as a counterbalance.
That's why back squats are so hard for those of us for whom squatting is mechanically challenging.

Kids are only good squatters because they have a massive counterbalance (disproportional head)
If you cut the babies head off I'm pretty sure it's squatting ability would be diminished

You've thrown the baby with the bath water, jolly good show.