• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

the art of bodybuilding?

BBers focus on a specific muscle (geneally), PLers focus on a movement (generally) which may recruit many muscles.

yes, two sports have different requirements.

but in bb terms, there are still different skill levels in how people exercise a movement, although i will be the first to admit that some people still get huge from lifting very heavy.

A powerlifter and non powerlifter or bodybiulder should both work the chest the same way, you douchebags.

A powerlifter and non powerlifter or bodybiulder should both work the chest the same way, you douchebags.

yes, this is a good point, although i may have a different view why than silver.

Regardless of the specific movement skills, there are general exercises to do to strengthen key muscles.

Life is full of problems.

For the powerlifter.

if these blokes spent the majority of their time doing exercises to biuld their muscles and less time practicing their show lifts, they'd be surprised how well these show lifts would improve.

i do not understand why they spend so much time "training" and not bodybuilding

so you reckon bb's don't have an ability to get more out of an exercise in terms of targeted muscle when compared to someone just trying to get exercise completed.

I think they do.

So do I. I wasn't disagreeing.

I said there was nothing "novel" in the article, as in it's basic knowledge.

As I said, you get a nufty to do a brand new exercise and they get through a few reps. Now you tell them HOW to do it and they will do it completely differently, activating muscles differently using slightly different form.

I just don't see what the breakthrough is. Can't even see how it qualifies as research!?!

no is not break through research, probably another example of the research catching up with athletes.

For many years, most sports journals said steroids hardly boosted strength.

However, would be interesting stuff is same approach was conducted on better athletes, say an experienced body builder v power lifter doing bench to further verify what we know.

That is assuming we need to waste public resources.

If focusing on the muscle you want to exercise increases the stimulation why not skip the lifting part and just focus on the muscle.

some people talk of mere muscle stimulation.

What that study may confirm, however, is that some bb's do have a knack to get much more out of an exercise in terms of muscle targeted.

We all know this is possible from viewing big squatters who have ordinary legs. clearly how you do the lift matters.

of course, some people may still struggle due to levers and unsuitability to certain exercises.

some people talk of mere muscle stimulation.

What that study may confirm, however, is that some bb's do have a knack to get much more out of an exercise in terms of muscle targeted.

We all know this is possible from viewing big squatters who have ordinary legs. clearly how you do the lift matters.

of course, some people may still struggle due to levers and unsuitability to certain exercises.

Would it also be Spart, that focusing on using a certain muscle more changes the form you use, thereby recruiting that muscle more as well?

absolutely, bench press can be done many ways with emphasis more on chest, depending on how one does it.

absolutely, bench press can be done many ways with emphasis more on chest, depending on how one does it.

Yeah? I don't agree with that Spart.

Unless you're using dumb-bells, the hands aren't converging, move the hands further apart won't change anything for the better, in fact will make it worse..

fair enough silver.

With bench, I would have thought that position of elbows, width of hands would shift impact to different muscles say chest, front delts and triceps.

Even then, if two people use identical style, some people will have ore focus to activate pecs more.

I know when I train on 60% of bench max, I can really focus on squeezing pecs more when I lift weight. When going heavy, I don't even think about anything but getting weight up.

Of course, certain exercises may be better than others at activating muscles, but this may also depend on individual given we all have different levers.

I may be wrong, but I would have said that even though the hands are fixed in place, you can still do the bench press different ways.

The bar could start higher or lower (as in, closer to your toes or the top of your head) and it could go through a vertical motion or diagonal, plus your elbows can be higher or lower. Changing any of these will change the motion and therefore, change the muscles used.

"Thinking" about a particular muscle will cause you to make small (even imperceptible) changes in the motion and muscles activated.

I'm probably missing the point...