• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

strong for 140 pounds

Why's it an ignorant call?
A ridiculous arch serves to reduce ROM, surely you're not denying that?
A ROM of 14" is far more impressive than a ROM of 6" with the same weight

And where did I say that it compensates for a weak bench FFS.

Not just from you, I'm sick of it in general as I hear it a lot.

There is more to benching than just ROM, there is tricep power, chest power, etc, etc.

By going super wide grip and arching you actually inhibit your lockout power so you need to be able to smash it off the chest with enough force to finish the lift. Tricep strong benchers who don't arch as much balance out a longer ROM with a stronger lockout.

True some people arch to compensate for a shit bench, but these people usually still have a shit bench.

Its not more impressive either way when you understand it more, its just choosing what works best for you. Its the same as sumo vs conventional deads. There are always benefits of each for and sacrifices made.

Not just from you, I'm sick of it in general as I hear it a lot.

There is more to benching than just ROM, there is tricep power, chest power, etc, etc.

By going super wide grip and arching you actually inhibit your lockout power so you need to be able to smash it off the chest with enough force to finish the lift. Tricep strong benchers who don't arch as much balance out a longer ROM with a stronger lockout.

True some people arch to compensate for a shit bench, but these people usually still have a shit bench.

Its not more impressive either way when you understand it more, its just choosing what works best for you. Its the same as sumo vs conventional deads. There are always benefits of each for and sacrifices made.
Freako, I'm not here to debate the pros and cons of how people bench and I don't disagree with what you've just said, I've been around the block a few times.
My comment was directed at the vid that was posted, nothing more.

Freako, I'm not here to debate the pros and cons of how people bench and I don't disagree with what you've just said, I've been around the block a few times.
My comment was directed at the vid that was posted, nothing more.

I get that. My problem is that I see that same comment a lot from a lot of different people. And I see the opposing comment about arched benchers even more. It pisses me off to no end now.

Racism is a crime Brick
Do you know who crime is for?

tumblr_m8om6hKD4Y1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

He's doing CAPO nationals I believe . . .

Could be thinking of the wrong guy though

Ps lol at USPlabs or whatever it was. Aren't they the same guys involved at BALCO?

*edit*
Definitely a different guy
Same haircut though

Last edited:
I hate this whole "strong for 140lb" bullshit
It's fucking bullshit, you're either strong or you're not.
When Stan Efferding got on his high horse about his squat and total, Ed Coan said to him that there will still a number of lifters that were stronger than him. Stan got the message. When Ed Coan was told he was the best lifter ever he explained that there were still lots of people stronger than him. Ed Coan didn't give a fuck about weight classes because it doesn't mean shit- you're either strong or you're not.

I pissed me off when people say that I have good numbers.... for my size. I'm either strong or I'm not which one is it??? For the record if you bench less than 100kg then that lifters name and "strong" should not be in the same sentence. Same with if you squat less than 180kg.

Oni, do you actually think before you say some of your comments; why do you think they have weight divisions.

Look at you, quite weak by what you say, but reasonable for your weight division.

I hate this whole "strong for 140lb" bullshit
It's fucking bullshit, you're either strong or you're not.
When Stan Efferding got on his high horse about his squat and total, Ed Coan said to him that there will still a number of lifters that were stronger than him. Stan got the message. When Ed Coan was told he was the best lifter ever he explained that there were still lots of people stronger than him. Ed Coan didn't give a fuck about weight classes because it doesn't mean shit- you're either strong or you're not.

I pissed me off when people say that I have good numbers.... for my size. I'm either strong or I'm not which one is it??? For the record if you bench less than 100kg then that lifters name and "strong" should not be in the same sentence. Same with if you squat less than 180kg.

strong is strong

to reinforce point, PA indicates that a 147.5Kg bench press at 66kg is scored the same as a 225kg benhc press for 120kg+ class and so on.

Oni wtf are you on about?

Sure the statement was unnecessary, its obvious that the lifter is strong because he can do these lifts at that bodyweight.

But then your statements about the 100kg bench and 180 squat made no fucking sense. Strength is definitely relative to size, so a 180 squat for a SLW is heavy whereas it should just be a warm-up for a SHW.