• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Slow and steady weight loss? I think not

I came across this today, and i agree with a fair bit. This is from my experience only

http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm

Not a bad read.

The main reason why your metabolism slows down is because you lose weight (see #3) but overall…
yes, but there is still a portion of the downregulated metabolism that goes beyond the predicted amount from the loss of weight. This is called adaptive thermogenesis

Important bit is in bold

I have to agree with what [MENTION=7082]jzpowahz[/MENTION]; bolded above - for simple weight loss it is simply about calories in V caolories out - you will find most people who are trying to drop weight are either underestimating what they eat, or they are simply lying to themselves/others about what they consume.

As I said weight loss is easy - just takes abit of drive and focus - then the rest is simply eat less/exercise more.

The media and the fitness industry build weight loss into this huge thing - of course - there has been a whole industry built around it/whole tv shows built around it - billions of dollars are year are following through this industry - they dont want people to know that it is simple - they dont want people to know that if you simply eat less and exercise more then you will drop the weight - in that regard I can understand where some people may see it as a hard thing to do - because they see how "big" the process is through tv/media etc - when really its not hard at all and I hate using myself as an example because really I am no example - but if a 14 year old with pretty much no knowledge (besides basic nutrition knowledge) can do it himself, with no1 guiding him, or pushing him - then everyone can do it.

Ask anyone to do a 20km jog. They'll know what to, one foot in front of the other until you finish.

Simple. Yes.

Easy. No.

Losing weight is pretty similar.

I aim for 1500, but i know il go a bit over logging every bit of food that hits my mouth, so i end up about 1650 most days which im happy with.

Ive learnt your only lying to yourself if you don't do it 110%, no one else gives a shit what i eat. so its up to me.

Either way im just over the moon that ive found something to finally work, i knew something wasent right as i was slowley gaining weight eating the calories that people said i should be eating, ie 2400, 2500.

Yep. So much BS in the media and people trying to sell books that the basics of move more, eat less get forgotten.

Sydking: can't remember if I've asked this but have you had blood tests? Either your cal estimates are off or you have a VERY slow metabolism. This can be from a very long period of dieting with no refeeds/diet breaks.

As I said, I don't have a single female client on less than 1500/day. (I will if required but it hasn't been) Most are strength training primarily with some doing some other cardio but nothing excessive. Not the amounts you are doing anyway.

I had bloods done end of last year and they were all fine, Ive always said i have a slow metabolism but then again i dont know..... Ive never done low cals for long periods, this 1500 is the lowest i think ive ever eaten, ive never done real long diet periods either. Beats me.

Im just starting to do what works for my body, not what the IIFYM calculators tell me ect.

Even though my BRM is 2108 from my last dexa i was still gaining weight slowly/ stating same eating 2500 and 2700 calories.

I even did a 3 week re feed at 3100 calories like you suggested a while ago and then went back to 2500 and nothing at all with weight loss.

Ive lost 30kg before but i never new what a calorie was or good nutrition ect, Just shit loads of training.

calculators are just estimates for sure.

It must be frustrating. Did your activity levels drastically change since you lose the 30kg?

You are still doing IIFYM now basically but your macros are required to be very low for some reason.

calculators are just estimates for sure.

It must be frustrating. Did your activity levels drastically change since you lose the 30kg?

You are still doing IIFYM now basically but your macros are required to be very low for some reason.

Yer i got lazy for about 1.5 years after that. no training at all and eating what i wanted. So only me to blame.

But the last two years trying to do it all properly it just seems like nothing is working, hence the drastic drop to 1500 at day.

My metabolic rate is actually pretty high (diagnosed hyperthyroidism)
Bottom line is an hour of lifting a day, desk job and 75kg doesn't take a great deal to maintain

You can see in the thread above, there are people having great success with weeks of a protein sparing modified fast and they are above 90kg and pretty lean a lot of the time. Both natural and on steroids
One thing though, my thyroid did crash after months of "hard" dieting at 2000kcal, or 2200 maybe I forget. But a few weeks at 1000kcal and I was fine. Maybe it was a coincidence, maybe not

I don't see any reason why someone shouldn't do 8 weeks of this sort of dieting though. Strength will start to suck after that time but so what, you're dieting. It will come back when you increase the calories again
Beyond 8 weeks I think might be an issue, but I'm not really basing this off anything. If it takes longer than 8 weeks you were probably very fat or you're doing something wrong

Anybody see Rachel's transformation on Biggest Loser S15?

Granted she lost some muscle on the way from 120 to 47 kgs but she was a work-horse.

She pre-made allot of her meals too when they were on the run, travel etc

I don't like the TBL approach but she was a beast in the gym.

Oni: I don't think you can get any conclusions from what you have done because of A) gear and B) hyperthyroidism (more importantly).

There is going to be a hell of difference between 3 people one hypo, one "normal" and one hyperthyroid doing the same very low cal diet.

While you may be right jz, I'm not willing to just throw out what 0ni says purely for those reasons.

My wife is about to run the HCG diet (google it) for the second time as she won't be able to gym for a month (TBA). It's a modification of the crash diet in that you have a couple of days loading (eggs, salmon, avocado, dairy, cheese etc) and then do 21 days of very low calorie (the other calories coming from your fat stores). You then have a period where your metabolism has to reset. It worked incredibly well the first time round (9-10kg) PLUS it taught her to count calories (you try squeeze every last bit of food into 500 calories) and made her find low calories ways to enjoy eating lean meat and vegies. It also meant that when she started at gym she already was much closer to the shape she wanted. Oh the bit I left out was that you have to go to Terry White and buy these HCG drops.

First the HCG diet is very stupid.

Second are those HCG drops homeopathic? Because if they are there is nothing actually in them.

I don't think you can just just buy HCG from the chemist, then I'm pretty sure it needs to be injected anyway. To get around that they decided to scam people with homeopathic HCG which is just water, so they can sell it no worries.

Unless you're competing or simply experimenting out of interest, what is so hard about just eating sensibly day to day, exercising regularly and not making the consumption and timing of food harder than it needs to be?

All this IM, crash diets and other wacky diet ideas aren't sustainable for the majority, which means any benefits they might bring are only short term. Not a great thing if health and fitness is a long term proposition. Nothing brings long term results better than consistency and sustainability.

I'm convinced so many people shoot themselves in the foot getting caught up in the hype of all these diet fads. If they can't master the basics, they have no hope at the extremes.

Last edited:
In my opinion IIFYM is eating sensibly from day to day and very sustainable because it fits into normal eating and a normal life.

I agree - but I can't disagree with results.

I agree - but I can't disagree with results.

500 calories a day. What else is going to happen but lose weight. You are essentially not even eating anything. Long term results after crash dieting aren't usually great.

A friend of mine doesn't eat a calorie on monday-wednesdays and fridays

He doesn't exercise much either but on the eating days I told him to do some bodyweight training for 30 mins a workout.

We have a weekly weigh-in at my work.

I heard of the HCG - 500 calories day thing, a lady at the dentist does it and she loved it