• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
in case of any interest, a leading international sports academic journal, after peer review, might publish my article on govt policy and drugs in Aust powerlifting if I address all comments adequately.

The biggest criticisms of my draft is that it made a value judgment that taking drugs is wrong, a sentiment also expressed on this forum.

I did not mean it to come across that away, so redrafting will allow me to refocus the balance. There is a lot of academic articles that also question effectiveness of drug testing and threats to liberty.

However, journal still interested as provides a thorough example of a govt response to a sport (powerlifting) with multiple feds. My argument remains focused on govt failure rather than attacking non-tested feds.

There is a lot of academic articles that also question effectiveness of drug testing and threats to liberty

Because academic opinion on "threats to liberty" has any place in deciding the rules of a sport?

By the way, you use the word are when talking about multiple items. Were any of the comments made on your paper related to poor usage of grammar?

I would say there is a considerable argument to be made on drug testing making drug use worse in athletes

yes Oni, a good piece will acknowledge all sides of debate. There are academics that do question effectiveness of drug testing.

I am not one of them, but admit there are still difficulties in ensuring fair play around world.

I mean from a health perspective
it encourages athletes to dose heavy in the off season
instead of pre-contest for a short period of time

maybe, but sports with effective out-of-comp testing world wide should get around that.

Trouble is there is only a few sports that are.

The IPF is certainly not one of them, although it tries very hard.

Last edited:
no, I would say that tested sports are far more healthy today than in the past.

I remember days when women powerlifters looked much more like men. Today, fewer examples in any Aust fed.

Also, if there is effective out-of-comp testing, this merely allows low dose drug use as tests occur all year round.

Drug use in well-tested sports now mainly with micro dosages. This is how they get around biological passports, albeit increasingly harder.

Last edited:
You're not going to disclose your findings?
That's all I am asking for. It should be in your paper anyway right?

Could I ask why you are even writing the article - I think it would be hard/nearly impossible for someone like yourself to write such an article considering (and they have picked this up) that you are against drug use in any sport tested or not test - or just your avg gym rat - I know you may say offerwise but its fairly clear from alot of your posts that you are....and again like I said above the person/people reading your draft have picked this up aswell - which honestly surprises me that you would draw judgement in such an article - it has nothing to do with individual drug use as such but the testing behind that drug use within sport - am I correct?

I will be very interested to read the artilce published or not.

Unfortunately there is nothing that anyone will ever be able to do to stop athletes using drugs in tested sports/feds.

Unfortunately there is nothing that anyone will ever be able to do to stop athletes using drugs in tested sports/feds.

Lol. What are you on about. Nothing??? Lol. It's getting harder and harder to cheat in tested sports everyday.

Oni, I am not allowed to put out article until article is published once draft is subitted. That is the way with academic articles. I had wanted to do a brief piece for a couple of online policy and sports forums.

My article does not have any magic cure, and much of what I will argue is already mentioned in this thread.

I argue that, in the case of powerliftng in Australia, if reducing the use of drugs in Aust powerlifting was a major goal, Aust govt policy has been a failure.

Rugby, motivation for article was after PA's CEO Wilks went on tv and slammed non-PA lifters as being drug cheats and criminals. l merely want to provide an alternative summary that provides all of the reasons why Aust powerlifting remains divided. Clearly, at least from my experience, thee are good pople in all feds.

I sought input from all feds on how to improve sport and transparency, but Wilks never responded to any of email requests, nor did CAPO. Only GPC (Markos) and ADFPF responded. This is also stressed in article.

I also mention ideas, drawing on overseas examples, on how better testing procedures may be encouraged, albeit that most of my ideas have already been largely attacked on this thread.

Again, as I will now stress in alteration of article, I am not a diehard against the use of drugs. I would like to think I still am friends with those on drugs in powerlifting. I merely prefer drug testing now, and am just highlighting another govt failure.

Will the scene change because of my article, highly doubt it, although I will send the piece to the govt, as I have with previous pieces such as on the home insulation program.

2012 version of 2010 article in a academic journal.

http://press.anu.edu.au//apps/bookw...ralian+Commonwealth+Government/9931/ch08.html

Last edited:
You really have to take Wilks with a grain of salt I am honestly not sure if mentally he is all there...

Jealousy and hatered have really clouded his thoughts I feel.

Most good athletes are not thinking about winning as such they are thinking about how they can win - the driving force will always be how to win, how to be the best - there is no possible way to ever have sport 100% clean - so be it that it may be getting harder - or purely for the fact that more athletes are doing it meaning more slip ups - giving the illusion that it is harder but it is simply more people doing it, meaning an increase of people getting caught out.