• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Question

Have this every morning Morgan.

500ml full cream milk
1.5 scoops protein (45g)
100g Oats
1 banana
1 TBLSP of honey

This is ~1000 cals, ~80g protein can't remember the carbs or fats.

4L of full cream milk = 2500 cals. Drink that each day and still eat your usual meals and you WILL put on mass.

Though if you're going to drink 4lt of milk a day, build up to it. 1lt/day in the first week, 2lt/day in the second, 3lt/day in the third, and 4lt/day in the fourth. Otherwise you will not feel very good, I speak from past experience

If you're having that amount, for the sake of your wallet I would buy full cream or skim milk powder, much cheaper, and easier to consume (eg the powder you'd put in to make 1lt of milk you can have in 250ml of water instead).

4L of fresh milk is only 5-6 bucks a day, less than a meal from maccas and it'll last all day. most people i work with spend $10-20 a day on lunch alone.

edit: i pay $1.10 per litre so 4L will only cost you $4.40 a day, stay away from skim milk you want the fat too.

milk = bang for your buck

Last edited:
Yep, milk is definitely good bang for your buck in bulking. I just mentioned that the powder was cheaper because we don't know anything about morgan7, he could be a skint student or about to get married or something and every $ counts for him, not like the idiots blowing $15 at lunch every day.

yeah definitely. i was using skim milk for my pre workout shake and i ended up changing to skim milk powder as its cheaper and lasts longer when opened.

Unfortunately I have very limited amounts of dairy,
because I was always blowing my nose when I was
having dairy. I just drink soy and rice milk now. So
that sort of rules out the milk idea.

Interesting. Try the skim milk powder instead, you may find that better.

Failing that, soy and rice milk are fine. The main reason milk is recommended is that it's a cheap, easy way to consume and digest a lot of calories, carbs, fat and protein quickly. A litre of milk is about 600kcal, 32g protein, 33g fat, and 51g carbs. That's like 150g of steak with a dab of garlic butter and a cup of vegies and cup of spuds. The milk is cheaper than all that, quicker to prepare and knock back, but if it doesn't agree with you, then have the steak, butter, spuds and vegies

if you 'eat a lot' when bulking & your not gaining size you either need to get a new hobby or eat some more.

i fail to see how increasing your calories wont give you mass. That said, i highly recommend not over eating. Yeah, hey i just said 2 opposites. There's a big difference between eating slightly over what you need to exceed maintenance....and having 1500 extra calories that go straight to either your hip, butt or gut

skip soy milk. soy promotes estrogen production.

Eat oat milk or rice milk. Same price as Soy but better for muscle growth esp. oat milk whcih is full of protein.

doesnt soy milk give you titties?
It's not been shown to do this in humans or any other animal. It's just broscience, just the good old bros saying "YOU MUST EAT MEAT." Yeah, whatever mate.

Give us a scientific study showing it has any effect on male hormones or muscular growth, SubCom, or stop spreading made-up stuff. Anyhow, soy does not promote estrogen production, it just has compounds which mimic estrogen. But only weakly and in small amounts.

There was some study where they fed male mice nothing but soy and they became less aggro, but did not grow breasts. Soy given to postmenopausal women in combination with weight-bearing exercise increases bone density and increases muscle mass [source].

Soy has no effect on testosterone in males. [source].

The only way eating soy will give men breasts is if they eat so much they get fat. Like eating too much burgers or pizza. But you won't get milk from those manboobs.

If soy really did act like a heap of estrogen, then male-to-female transexuals would eat a kilo of tofu a day, and... well, we have about 1.5 billion Asians who eat it every day, and... there are 1.5 billion of them, which does not suggest depressed testosterone levels in the men (low testosterone --> low sperm count ---> less babies).

Last edited:
in fairness tho kyle, Asians may have evolved in such a way that their body can handle the estrogenic effect on soy. And that's a MAY

Anything may happen. Let's focus on what has been shown by science or experience to be true. Let's focus on what is probable or certain, not on the zillion things that're possible.

The science must be more than "this bunch of rats once..." and the experience must be more than "this guy at the gym said", but experience of competent coaches over years, etc.

Present the science or the experience that shows soy makes men grow breasts, or in some other way hinders or reverse muscle growth or anything related. Anything may happen, let's look at what probably or certainly happens.

Soy has no effect on testosterone. See link above.

[/font]

Part 2.....................

Part3 .......................

n00bs, when providing quotes, you ought to reference the text they came from. Then we can go and check it for ourselves.

Every year books are published saying that food X is a wonder food, and food Y is the devil itself. When you read the book and check its references, what you usually find is that there were 1,000 studies on the thing, 500 said something bad, and 500 said something good - they reference only one half of the 1,000, guess which half. And then when you read the studies themselves, they don't express the idea as strongly as the book does. That's called "cherry-picking" - you find 100 ideas or words, pick the 2 or 3 that reinforce your point, ignore the rest.

Fadi, in the other thread you presented no evidence, only assertions, mostly quotes from Elaine Hollingsworth's book. Her website is here, where she describes that doctors and modern medicine are bad for you. Formerly Sara Stone, she was an actress in the 1950s and 1960s, and has no medical or scientific qualifications, but still runs a health centre. She sells some ground up root vegetables called "maca" for more than $100/kg; maca itself retails for under $0.30/kg in Peru, and is often fed to their goats.

Lots of former Hollywood stars open health centres based around some particular food or idea being brilliant, and everything else being evil. I did not bother to respond in the other thread, Fadi, because when people base their medical and diet ideas on some unqualified guru who has some Wonder Food product, the belief is religious in nature, and can't be argued.

Last edited:
It seems I may have been wrong about soy, damn it!
I'll do a bit of research, but I have a feeling it'll end up like the egg (bad cholesterol) searching I did a while ago. Some great arguments from both sides, still not sure. But I'll eat em for now.

The trouble is the more studys that are done the more stats there are. And a clever person can make those stats dance to any tune they please.

So I'll have a look and make up my own mind.

Mike.