• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

ProRaw Powerlifting

A question I answered in regards to knee wraps in another thread

Speaking to lots of lifters at our Nats and the Worlds, the general conscensus is that wraps protect more than they assist.

I'm all for longevity, and I have an open mind. You guys know my stance on equipment.

If a lifter can lift safer with knee wraps, and its not going to add 100kg to his lift, then I'm for it.

Speaking to Max and Alen, who both still refuse to wear a belt, said their knees felt much better with wraps. Remember, neither had gained a kilo when I asked their thoughts, they just said it felt better.

In time, they may add 20kg to their squat, but we dont have double,triple strength wraps that are going to give the variance that multiply suits give.

So, firstly its for safety.

secondly, a few equipped lifters would never lift without sleeves/wraps, hope to attract them

A couple of Pro Feds in the USA are allowing them

It takes us back closer to the start of PL, ace bandages, a belt and chalk. If we had stayed that way, PL might be in the Olympics today. Wont happen now.

They are much cheaper than sleeves, offer more protection.

Suits will never be allowed, but I would consider a single ply shirt, if it was a "control" shirt, same one used by everyone, if a major manufacturer put in big bucks to have his shirt as "the one".

My goal now is to get as big a purse for as many lifters as possible.

In discussions with some, to a man, they all agree that any extra prize money I can secure, should go to 2nd and 3rd place rather than topping up 1st.

Pretty much guarantee that 1st place in each of the 4 classes will be a minimum of $1000. If I can get more dollars, then 12 lifters will pick up cash on Australia day.

Any thoughts on this????

Would love to know what you think about the "control" single ply shirt. Allowing it may add major $$$$$$$$$$$ to the purse.

I'm pretty determined to get this right from the start. I wont be lifting so it has no effect on me, its you guys that it will effect.

Maybe keep shirts for single lift ProRaw bench comps. Thoughts???

Any opinion welcome.

Markos - to begin with im considering making the trip down.

I'm okay with knee wraps (because theyre **** cheap) but shirts exclude people because they $$$, make training a pain in the ass and wouldn't be recognised by your average gym goer. I wouldnt do it personally.

KInda agree with Oli were do you draw the line? And extra cost is extra cost, but that would need to be weighed up with the potential to walk away with a fist full of cash..

But it is about getting competitors and having a good prize pool, It will attract more of the current equipt lifters maybe, which are typically the seasoned lifters that can move a lot of weigh, it will definetely push the bar up so to speak. Will this attract more competitors overall but??? or more of one type.

In my opinion, there should be no bench shirts allowed. It's called "ProRAW", having bench shirts would defeat the purpose of calling it that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Markos as long as the suit doesnt really add anything to the lift.

I feel if you cant walk into a gym off the street and lift without it then its not really RAW is it?

What would a single ply shirt or suit add in terms of lifts or is it more a safety thing?

Frankly i think stubbies and a singlet should surfice!

I like the idea of a very basic shirt as I do believe that they give the lifter alot of protection and would reduce the amount of injuries + attract more lifters. The basic shirts are not expensive at all and are VERY easy to use, I also think that adding that would pretty much cover all protection sides of things leaving no room for excuses. The oldschool shirts would give a lifter about as much as knee wraps do in terms of kgs added (I mean oldschool like hd blast type shirts not the new single ply.) Maybe giving the lifter a choice of 2 shirts of your choice, or getting one made up as you had mentioned. I really like the idea of all of this, as someone earlier said from little things big things grow.. this could potentially be adapted and taken on to how powerlifting should be and possibly unite many lifters.

Markos, a few other things:

- I find the okay on knee wraps a bit odd. Knee wraps store energy like a suit - if lifters want the support then why not simply allow sleeves and be lenient on them? (eg allow convicts)

- I'd ditch the monolift if possible. It scares a lot of people, also the ER bench/squat stand combos look way more efficient.

- I'd run all lifts by IPF/RAW Unity rules.

- I'd have safety rails on the bench.

Sounds like you need to have 2 divisions.

Raw - no belt, no wraps just man vs barbell.

Equipped - single ply, belt, wraps.

some more opinions/ideas...

for put up pull done speed the squat bench combos are much easier and quicker than the mono, and in terms of adjusting pin height etc there isn't much difference between the two

I do think that safety pins on bench are a good idea, all it'll take is a spotter to be distracted and you could have issues on your hand, that being said they're not as important with raw benching as they are with shirted benching as things can go pear shaped alot quicker in a shirt.

wraps should be restricted in length

no shirts.

Sounds like you need to have 2 divisions.

Raw - no belt, no wraps just man vs barbell.

Equipped - single ply, belt, wraps.

The whole point Markos is starting this is because there are too many divisions and he hates equipped lifting. If he does a equipped division, he's already doubled the amount of divisions he has and it no longer becomes RAW.

I'm not a fan of the wraps but most Feds allow them in raw comps. How many Feds allow bench shirts in raw comp?? If ur worried about hurting ur shoulder benching then bench less.
Posted via Mobile Device

The knee wraps are definitely in, as are belts and wrist wraps, they are not negotiable. This is the same format run by the big raw shows in the USA and Russia I think. We need to get normality back into PL.

I wont be getting a monolift. Transport and storage are big issues, plus you have to walk the weight out anyway.

There will only be one style of lifting, not raw/semi equipped/equipped. This is what I'm trying to eliminate from our sport. I want to go back to the old days where you wore equipment for safety, not to add 300kg to your total.

Knee wraps max length will be 2.5m

Oliver, sleeves only retain heat, they do not give adequate support to the knee. I found the no wraps issue cool with guys squatting 160kg, but we have 5 guys that have gone over 200kg now, and with the influx of CAPO lifters joining, some have done 300kg without support.

Until you've had massive weights like this on your back, you wont understand the piece of mind a simple $25 knee wrap brings.

But thank you for your opinion Oli, and of course, you dont need to wear wraps or a belt if you dont wish to, it didnt harm Max at the Worlds not wearing a belt.

I would never not allow belts.

Some of you know that I like to shit stir belt wearers. How many of you know that my wife Nina trains and competes in one?

As does Annie, Nick and a few others.

From the feedback I got from lifters here and the States, I think I'll need to allow knee wraps. Some are against, but more are for.

No Monolift............unless somebody gives me one for free lol

The same argument holds true for lifting shoes.

Does the shoe allow you to lift an extra ** kg's?

ProRaw (nude) powerlifting.
Posted via Mobile Device