• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Over under grip?

Should your dominant hand be over or under? I can get to 120 both hands over for 5 before the bar sort of rolls out of my hand. Bar has crap knurling, no chalk allowed. Off topic, are the liquid chalk type products any good?

I'm right handed and I prefer right over, left under when I use mixed, other way feels weird.

I use straps... No grip issues come meet time

double overhand until I can't lift, then switch to mixed.

dominant hand (right) under.

chalk helps.

Trainer also mentioned plain old hairspray sprayed on your palms is used a lot -- never tried it, but hey, prolly works.

Why don't you just use straps when your grip fails and actually increase your deadlift
Then do dedicated grip work. The deadlift is not a grip exercise so doing it to train grip is silly in my books... get some CoC grippers and do timed holds

I used to use straps. Found doing hook grip on my deads helped my grip heaps.

Atm use hook grip on all but the last. Where I will switch to over under.

BUMP

I continue to use over under for sumo and am skinning the fuck out of my left (under) knuckles on my shorts and leg and getting a wicked friction burn on my right forearm where the same thing is happening. No amount of chalk seems to stop it, probably cause it is hot as fuck in my garage and the sweat stops the chalk doing it's thing.

I can deal with everything but the skinned knuckles, it's not a good look when I am meeting with clients and it looks like I spent the night before going a few rounds of once were warriors with the missus.

Point of the post what does everyone else use for sumo over under or hook grip. I've tried hook grip but have tiny pedo hands so it doesn't really work, should I persist or am I doing something wrong here?

Before it gets suggested I will NOT use straps for work sets

BUMP

I continue to use over under for sumo and am skinning the fuck out of my left (under) knuckles on my shorts and leg and getting a wicked friction burn on my right forearm where the same thing is happening. No amount of chalk seems to stop it, probably cause it is hot as fuck in my garage and the sweat stops the chalk doing it's thing.

I can deal with everything but the skinned knuckles, it's not a good look when I am meeting with clients and it looks like I spent the night before going a few rounds of once were warriors with the missus.

Point of the post what does everyone else use for sumo over under or hook grip. I've tried hook grip but have tiny pedo hands so it doesn't really work, should I persist or am I doing something wrong here?

Before it gets suggested I will NOT use straps for work sets

I'm assuming you are putting talc or baby powder on your legs / shorts and not chalk.

Otherwise wear short shorts or pick up a pair of sports / compression tights

I'm assuming you are putting talc or baby powder on your legs / shorts and not chalk.

Otherwise wear short shorts or pick up a pair of sports / compression tights

Negative was using chalk, will try babypowder. I have some bike shorts somewhere I used to wear to stop getting chafe, will try those to. Thanks

Not all white powders are born equal
Baby powder is actually used as an industrial lubricant. Magnesium carbonate (chalk) does the opposite. That's why you can't use regular chalk (calcium carbonate) either. It just doesn't increase friction all that much.

As an aside, I realised that using double overhand grip rounds my back a little too much for some reason and a mixed grip gives a different force curve where I stall higher up my shin. Even with straps I am stronger with mixed grip because of this. It's something I hadn't even considered previously and you'll probably want to check with super slowmo video whether you're stronger with hook grip or mixed

Not all white powders are born equal
Baby powder is actually used as an industrial lubricant. Magnesium carbonate (chalk) does the opposite. That's why you can't use regular chalk (calcium carbonate) either. It just doesn't increase friction all that much.

Yeah I realised all white powders are not equal when I tried to have a line of chalk.

Stands to reason that chalk wouldn't work cause it increases grip (friction) whereas babypowder would work. I'm gonna persist with trying to get my pedo hands to work with hook grip.

Yeah I realised all white powders are not equal when I tried to have a line of chalk.

Stands to reason that chalk wouldn't work cause it increases grip (friction) whereas babypowder would work. I'm gonna persist with trying to get my pedo hands to work with hook grip.

Try taping your thumbs

simple, dont go full retard and deadlift properly, you wont tear your biceps if you do it right