• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need a body building plan

4 days a week is fine. IF you do it right, you'll notice some pretty good gains in a month, provided that you take in enough food & train like you need to, not because you want to.

Start a training log, you'd be surprised how much good feedback ya'll get

ah, an extra day (tho probably best to keep it at a moderate to light weight, maybe helpful for recovery. Ie if he can squat (FOR EXAMPLE) 100KG for 1RM, doing 50kg 3 x 4 (three sets of 4 reps)

Lol, powerbuilder the guys doing a cookie cutter routine and earlier this afternoon didnt know what a power rack was. I dont think he's gonna be able to organise his program like that :p

well, i think he can if laid out simply to him. Ie do a 'typical' three day split, then on saturday, use it as a light workout to practice the moves & not think about the weight too much

I think actually picking up a copy of starting strength and practical programming and actually learning to program for himself is a better bet.

hey guys

pretty fierce convo? good work boys!!

I am educating myself/reading, 4 days to me is fine as long i dont be an idiot and start pushing massive weights. gunna start VERY light and move up, as power said, practice on techinque.

I am educating myself/reading, 4 days to me is fine as long i dont be an idiot and start pushing massive weights. gunna start VERY light and move up, as power said, practice on techinque.

Thats the thing though - squatting x3 a week is BRUTAL - no way you'd last any amount of time doing it with 140kg on the bar (and you better expect to get 140kg on the bar)

sometimes less is more.

well since i havent started yet and not sure of my limits, I will just have to wait and see.

However, chances you probaly are right,.

You could do 4 days a week to begin with but I guarantee you will ditch the 4th day when your squatting bodyweight for reps. This is a tough routine when the weight starts piling up

If form is a worry why not ditch the 4th day completely and do 50 reps on the squat, bench and deadlift with an empty bar on the off days?

I guarentee thatll do insane things for your form.

U mention a good and probaly safe point. As you can tell im very new

You guarentee? ok, il put you up to it :)

Also, this is going to sound umm.. a lil dumb.. but what exact equipment do i need. (A list would be nice) and also the cheapest would be good :D

Once again I am very new

Thx OLY

By the way

Squat 3 x 50 <-- CHANGED
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8
CHIN UPS 3 x 8

thats how it should look now yes

thx

Last edited:
wait, wait, wait, not 3x50!

okay, powerbuilder said if you lifting x4 a week the extra work would benefit your form, I suggested you do x3 a week and do 50 reps on the squat/bench/dead with an empty bar on off days. so:

Monday
Squat 3 x 8
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Wednesday
Squat 3 x 8
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Thursday (off day)
5x10 squat (just the bar)
5x10 Bench (just the bar)
5x10 deadlift (40kg)

Friday
Squat 3 x 8
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

3x50 would FRY you.

in terms of equipment you need a power rack, bench and olympic barbell set. I'd recommend the following:

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/3-Package-Deal-_-Power-Rack--+-FIBEV-flat-incline-bench-+-Olympic-bar-+-80kg-Olympic-weights-$1095/530.htm

pay the extra to upgrade to a to a ASFID super FID bench, a heavy duty 1500 capacity barbell and the dipping attachment any buy as many extra plates as you can.

Expensive i know, but cheaper than a gym.

also get starting strength and practical programming from mark rippetoe right now, cause you could really learn a thing or two about weightlifting :p

Hey oly

Im from bunbury (WA) 1 hr away from perth lol.

$1095? oh dear. dw, ebay time :D

What are each of the components/equipment by themselfs (not combined into a machine)

working on book.

Last edited:
Sounds like a very good program oli, love the off day!

I just ordered a pallet with 235kg on it from gym direct and even with postage, was much cheaper than anywhere I could find in perth, let alone bunbury. You could arrange to pick the items up from perth to save a heap on a courier down to you

Big D, you don't need any equipment at all to at least begin with some exercise. And in fact it's better not to spend the money until you're sure you're going to use the kit.

Each workout should involve a deep knee-bend, a push with the arms and a pull. Go to your local park, do 10 squats with just your bodyweight - go as deep as you can without rounding your lower back, just remember always to stick your arse right out like it's party-time in prison. Then do 10 pushups. Then get under a fence-bar, lie under it with your feet extended, and do 10 inverted rows - same posture as a pushup, but inverted. After that jog around the oval 4 times.

Tomorrow go back to the park and do 11 squats, pushups and inverted rows, and again run around the oval 4 times. Do this 5 days a week.

Each day add 1 repetition to each movement, and each week add 1 lap of the oval.

If you can't do all the reps in one go, that's okay - take a short rest, and finish them off, with 1 extra to make up for the breather you took. For example, let's say your goal was 20 pushups, and you can only get 12. You had 8 left, now you owe 8+1=9. You get out 5. You had 4 left, now you owe 4+1=5. You get out 3. You had 2 left, now you owe 2+1=3. You get those 3 out, sigh with relief and can get on with the rest of the workout.

After 4 weeks you should be doing a total of 30 squats, pushups and inverted rows, and running around the oval 7 times - that's about a 3.5km run. After another 4 weeks it's a total of 50, and 11 laps, about 5.5km.

Use those 8 weeks to look for a good gym with good trainers or people training there who are happy to instruct you. Learn the movements youre going to be doing - always better to be taught in person.

You're also using those 8 weeks to find out if you have the willpower to keep up a physical training programme. If you can't bring yourself to go to the park 5 days a week and do a few pushups, then any equipment you buy is just going to collect dust.

Best of luck, don't wait for the perfect gym, perfect workout or perfect equipment to start, just get your body moving.

Hey Big D,

I would stick with what Oliver suggested, especially the buying a good book part.

Alternately take a look at what PTC, Fadi and Rippetoe have already laid out for people starting out.
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9660-beginners-look-here.html

Also, I dont think you should be doing much running, it will be counterproductive to bulking up and as you've said you're already a fit runner.

One of the mods (Fadi) has said in the past to compare runners figures.
100m, 400m, 800, 2k, 5k etc etc.
Which one do you want to look like?

Best of luck mate.

This is why we put our qualifications and lifts in our sig, so people can judge by results.

100m runners don't run only 100m from the time of being completely sedentary to being national champions.

You are building a new body. First mark out the ground with bodyweight and basic fitness work, this takes 1-6 months. Next lay the foundations with basic compound movements with barbells, this takes 6-24 months. If you have a master builder helping you (ie a trainer of some kind), you can go straight to laying foundations, and it'll be shorter overall, too.

After that decide how you want to build from there, decide where you want to go, to more bodybuilding, to strength, to some sports, just maintain for the sake of health, or whatever.

Last edited:
i had never been into a gym before and starting squatting, deadlifting, military pressing etc straight off the bat at home by myself with what i learnt from the internet. if i had my time again i'd do it just the same, i wouldnt beat around the bush with bodyweight stuff and jogging.

but thats just my opinion from my experience.