• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Micellar Cassein?

staunch308

Looking at getting soem micellar cassein to throw in with WPC+Milk for my night time shakes, worth it or not?

I was using it (still have some left)

Worth it? I don't know.

I do know that Micellar mixes better than Calcium Cassein. CC tends to go all clumpy.

Did you ever notice you were less hungry in the morning? Want to use it because I doubt WPC+400ml of milk lasts 10 hours when sleeping?

I started a thread about this some time back.

Brought out some interesting reading:
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-supplements/15487-night-time-recovery-protein-blend-discussion.html

But I still use a Cassein blend at night (Maxe's nite time protein) I still have it from before I started using BN products, despite all the discussion saying it's not needed, the fact remains if I had (have) a hard training session I would wake up hungry at 1am or 2am and I would have to get up and have a shake or a sandwich or some left overs. (very annoying and counter productive to sleep patterns)

If I have a recommended serving of Max's nite time blend, I sleep through the night, and you can not argue with those facts, so it works for me, and I will keep using it.

I hit a big PB today on Dead Lifts, and I will be having a large serving before bed tonight to ensure a good nights sleep.

Once the Max's stuff runs out I will be buying some Cassain from BN and blending my own with WPC and or WPI (I have some of both on hand as I like different flavors to mix thing up). Try it for yourself and see if it works, works for me might not work for some.

To me the only proof I need is sleeping through the night without having to have a midnight snack:)

Hm might order 2KG of it of BN and throw 20g of so in with my shakes before bed

Make it 40 and you have lost nothing. Or may be start with 20 and see how you go, and add more if needed.

Report back to see if it works for you.

Last edited:
Yeah for what its worth 40g once at night might as well!

It makes sense, slows the digestion so blood aminos are there during sleep which the muscle recovery takes place.

Staunch - read over my posts on digestion. You ain't going catabolic when you sleep and your WPC + MILK will be digesting for much longer than you think. FYI WPC+MILK is MC!

From that link that Big Mick provided -

But as I've outlined on another Thread ( http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/1534...-gi-myths.html ), you need to think about things like this - If you are consuming a diet of protein ONLY and the amount of protein you have for the day is 200 grams. Now Whey protein digests the fastest at 10 grams an hour. So if you have your WHOLE day's protein needs just with the Whey Protein, that will take 20 HOURS to digest. Now if you had your 200 grams all from say cooked eggs (they digest at 3 grams per hour) it would take 66+ hours.

Now I'm pretty sure your diet consists of Protein, Carbs, Fats and Fibre from a mixture of WHOLE FOOD and powder, correct? Now each one of the other nutrients listed will SLOW digestion time down and if the are from WHOLE food choices it will be SLOWER again. See where I'm going with this

On a side note, when Whey is mixed with fats, carbs & fibre or there is previous ingested food, it 'digests' in the same way MC or CC does.

So as you can see, you go now where near catabolic when you sleep. But as I've said, if you want to have a shake before bed so you meet your macornutreint need for the day, go for it. You are taking it for that reason and the benefits that meeting your macronutrient requirements.

Last edited:
Yeah Max I remember I actually had a read through that thread when it was made, I know when you eat other foods together it slows the digestion rate, adding some cassein in with my night time shake ive got nothing to lose really and its piece of mind to me, not fully sold that wpc and 400 ml milk would last all night

But yeah taking a shake before bed to meet macro intake and to prevent catabolism when sleeping.

I know milk protein is cassein, but it not enough thats why I want to add some in.

I already ordered some in so might aswell give it a try, if it works then it works not expecting any miracles obviously.

The only protein I use now is Micellar Casein.
Reasons being:
1) it's cheap as chippies
2) what Max Brenner said
3) it mixes up really well with just water if I want to have a shake
4) it mixes up REALLY well for protein sludge

Isn't milk protein 80% casein.

But anyway if you want casein even if just for piece of mind. It wont matter either way just have what you prefer. I just go for cheap wpc.

Yeah Max I remember I actually had a read through that thread when it was made, I know when you eat other foods together it slows the digestion rate, adding some cassein in with my night time shake ive got nothing to lose really and its piece of mind to me, not fully sold that wpc and 400 ml milk would last all night

But yeah taking a shake before bed to meet macro intake and to prevent catabolism when sleeping.

I know milk protein is cassein, but it not enough thats why I want to add some in.

I already ordered some in so might aswell give it a try, if it works then it works not expecting any miracles obviously.
Your choice my friend :) Why not then just use MC as your protein powder?

I would suggest you read over the thread again as there is simply no need for 2 types of protein powder, especially for the reasons you are thinking ;)

To be honest I used to do this.

MC shake just before bed. Some WPC as soon as I get up for work. Meal or shake every 2 hours so not to go catabolic. Eventually realised you can't trick your body or physics for that matter. Just gotta do the hard work and get the basics right.

No one is suggesting that the protein shake will replace hard work:)

There is probably no need for two types of protein, or even three, but I doubt it will do any harm either.

I am sticking with my current plan for now as it seems to be working fine, and a Cassein night time shake has been part of that!!!

There is not much difference in the price of the proteins in most cases, I have about 4-5 flavors on hand anyway, bought from BN and No Bull at a good price. I like to mix it up, even combine flavors (banana and chocolate protein together is the bomb) and addicted to choc Honey comb and choc mint at the moment.:)

But you are correct if on a tight budget just have WPC and milk I guess ;)

Last edited: