• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Glucogen replacement??

S

sicr1000

Glycogen replacement??

Hi lately i have been reading a bit about taking glucose or some sort of sugar immediately following an intense workout so as to replace depleted glucogen levels in the muscle.

My question is how much powdered glucose should i take immediately after my workout?? and can i mix this into my post workout protein shake??

any opinions greatly appreciated.

cheers

Last edited:
Hi lately i have been reading a bit about taking glucose or some sort of sugar immediately following an intense workout so as to replace depleted glucogen levels in the muscle.

My question is how much powdered glucose should i take immediately after my workout?? and can i mix this into my post workout protein shake??

any opinions greatly appreciated.

cheers

STOP!

Let's get one thing straight before we proceed any further here. Glucogen is a catabolic hormone that works in a direct opposite way to anabolic insulin. Now from the message of your post I take it you meant to say glycogen instead of glucogen, right?!

Having gotten rid of that let us then proceed...

You'd want to consume between 40-50 grams of high GI carbs (as in glucose) immediately after your workout. You can mix about 12gms of whey protein with that.

Have your shower then come back for your protein shake of about 30gms. All the above should take place within say 45 minutes when your cells are highly sensitive to insulin.

PS: Don't forget to take your antioxidant and the amino acid Leucine right after training also.

Vitamin C...250mg
Vitamin E...100iu
Leucine...1g

Fadi.

Last edited:
STOP!

Let's get one thing straight before we proceed any further here. Glucogen is a catabolic hormone that works in a direct opposite way to anabolic insulin. Now from the message of your post I take it you meant to say glycogen instead of glucogen, right?!

Having gotten rid of that let us then proceed...

You'd want to consume between 40-50 grams of high GI carbs (as in glucose) immediately after your workout. You can mix about 12gms of whey protein with that.

Have your shower then come back for your protein shake of about 30gms. All the above should take place within say 45 minutes when your cells are highly sensitive to insulin.

PS: Don't forget to take your antioxidant and the amino acid Leucine right after training also.

Vitamin C...250mg
Vitamin E...100iu
Leucine...1g

Fadi.

Yes sorry you are correct i did mean GLYCOGEN.

Now as for LEUCINE my protein powder contains 2531milligrams per serve, is this suffficient?? also what antioxidant do you recomend??
I take a multi V in the morning and 5g of creatine 30min before and immediately after my workout. Is the creatine ok to have straight after the workout??

Yes sorry you are correct i did mean GLYCOGEN.

Now as for LEUCINE my protein powder contains 2531milligrams per serve, is this suffficient?? also what antioxidant do you recomend??
I take a multi V in the morning and 5g of creatine 30min before and immediately after my workout. Is the creatine ok to have straight after the workout??

2531mg per 12gm? No. But it's okay,at 12gms it comes to about 1100mg. I just wanted it to be over and above the other amino acids since it's a very important player in the way it stimulates insulin production (wihout the presence of glucose mind you)!

The antioxidants I have mentioned above and they are just the basics.
Creatine; drop to 2.5g for after training. I recall you saying something about not getting a pump in another thread you've posted. That could be the creatine shifting the water into your muscles at the wrong time. You want the water (glycogen) in there before hand thanks to your carbohydrate eating a day or two before. You only need 2.5gms of creatine anyway and it would be best left for a replenishment after your workout.

Fadi.

Last edited:
apparently antioxidiants can blunt the insulin response

TMUSCLE.com | Four Ways to Jack Up Insulin Sensitivity

The argument for the temporal benefit of ROS post-workout is strengthened by the fact that long term antioxidant supplementation has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity.(1, 2)

References

1. Ristow M, Zarse K, Oberbach A, et al. Antioxidants prevent health-promoting effects of physical exercise in humans. Proceedings of the NationalAcademy of Sciences of the United States of America 2009;106:8665-8670.
2. Head K. Study suggests antioxidants inhibit exercise-induced insulin sensitivity. Alternative medicine review 2009;14:99-102.

That's exactly what I want, an increase of insulin sensitivity right after training.

But then you may say how about this study here?

It's common knowledge that one of the benefits of training is that it increases insulin sensitivity. Recently a group of German exercise physiologists set out to examine how supplementing with vitamin C (1000mg) and vitamin E (400 IU) affected the post-workout boost in insulin sensitivity.
In this study, 40 young men exercised five days a week (50 minute sessions including cycling and circuit training) for four weeks. The addition of vitamin C and E supplementation in that group completely eliminated the beneficial insulin-sensitizing effects of exercise!

My answer is that the biochemists I rely on for my info were/are way ahead of these German exercise physiologists. Why? Because when they recommended vitamin C & E post workout, they recommended them in very small dosages; large enough to counter the oxidative effect of training and small enough so as to not curb the insulin sensitivity effect.

You may notice something "strange" as well in my recommendation of what seems a very "small" amount of whey protein after training. A 4:1 ratio of carb to protein. Again, insulin spiking/sensitivity were taken into consideration here.

Thank you for the info upg.

Fadi.

Last edited:
2531mg per 12gm? No. But it's okay,at 12gms it comes to about 1100mg. I just wanted it to be over and above the other amino acids since it's a very important player in the way it stimulates insulin production (wihout the presence of glucose mind you)!

The antioxidants I have mentioned above and they are just the basics.
Creatine; drop to 2.5g for after training. I recall you saying something about not getting a pump in another thread you've posted. That could be the creatine shifting the water into your muscles at the wrong time. You want the water (glycogen) in there before hand thanks to your carbohydrate eating a day or two before. You only need 2.5gms of creatine anyway and it would be best left for a replenishment after your workout.

Fadi.

Yes its 2531mg per 24gm serve of protein so i have mixed 12grams of protein with 5 teaspoons of glucose. I dont have any scales to measure the glucose.
Would you say 5 heaped teaspoons is about 50grams??

hang on...

Post Workout Meal 1
- 40g of dextrose or oatmass + 12g of WPI
Alternating hot / Cold shower
Post Workout Meal 2 - 30g of WPI (with any carbs) ?

is that right ?

Yes its 2531mg per 24gm serve of protein so i have mixed 12grams of protein with 5 teaspoons of glucose. I dont have any scales to measure the glucose.
Would you say 5 heaped teaspoons is about 50grams??

I think you may need about 8 heaped teaspoons to make 50gms, unless glucose is somewhat denser than your normal table sugar. I'm sorry I can't help you here since I've never taken glucose powder so wouldn't know about its density.

Buy a scale when you're ready, you'd have a million uses for it...

Fadi.

hey Fadi, when are you going to right a book on everything you know about nutrition?