• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gday everybody

sookie

Hello everybody!

My name is David and I am new to the wonderful life of working out.
A little about myself, I am a skinny man at 5.2 feet and weigh around 136lbs. My goal is to gain muscle, lose some fat and obtain a healthy lifestyle! I was alot skinnier over the years, the point where you can see my rib cage and if you look carefully, you could see my heart beat.
I started in september, stopped in October and resumed in November.

In the past month I have been consuming protein shakes by the name of Horleys Awesome Mass and is currently following this:

Monday
Chin ups
Single arm row with dumbbells
Lat pull down
seated row

Wednesday (I use a variety of machines for chest. I am unsure what they are called though but I will try my best to describe.)
Chest flys
seated chest machine (you add the weights to each side)
another seated chest machine (attach lever to desired weight)
Incline chest workout machine (attach lever to desired weight)

Friday
Seated Shoulder press (you add the weights to each side)
Incline seated shoulder press (you add the weights to each side)
Dumbbell reverse flies

Sat
Deadlifts
Squats

Sunday
Hammer curls
Standing dumbbell curl
Tricep push down
Standing Single Arm Dumbbell Extension

It takes about 40mins to complete each session.

My routine

5am Cereal
6am Gym - protein shake after session
10am Protein shake plus fruit - non working out days
12pm 2 ham sandwiches Plus fruit
2pm piece of fruit
5pm protein shake
7pm - steak, potatoes, vegies (or sometimes rice with stir fry)

If I pm someone my links showing my pics, can someone load them for me please. There is only 4

Welcome aboard sookie, this is a great forum with a lot of very knowledgeable members. I have learnt heaps and so will you.

Sorry to be blunt but I think you are wasting your time with those isolation/machine exercises. I went through that same stage when I was given a similiar workout plan by a personal trainer, I came here to find something different and was shown a much better pathway to my goals through full body compound exercises. You can read my journal here, it may be useful as I was a complete novice to this style of lifting
http://ausbb.com/member-training-diaries/9605-eaglebays-beginner-program.html

Give this thread a read for some very good beginning routines
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9660-beginners-look-here.html

Welcome aboard David!

edit
Looks like your diet could use some work too. Give this newsletter a read, and then read it again!
http://www.ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html

Last edited:
haha, not bad. The diet looks good and whilst the program isn't great it has all the right ingredients!

For anyone starting off I'd suggest they put down a bit of money. These items are pretty much necessary:
- Plain cotton t-shirts
- Sweatpants
- Squat shoes (or converse)
- Chalk

I'd also suggest getting starting strength and practical programming. Whilst you wont be able to follow all the parameters of the book they give a very good guideline as to how to approach lifting - particularly in regards to lifting form, diet and programming.

Check out this program:

Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ - Bodybuilding.com Forums

You'll meet a lot of rippetoe purists who'll bash you for it, but doing rows and a bit of arm work isnt going to kill you.

btw - ditch the Horleys - you can get protein WAY cheaper (lol pun) from professionalwhey.com.au!

Horleys is a sensational brand.

welcome abord. Remember the more info you give us (about yourself, training, diet, work / school demands, family situation & stuff...the better support we can give

Hey Eaglebay and team
Im glad you were honest with me Gary. Again I am new to things but I am seeing results.
Do you think I should scrap my workout routine and focus on the beginners program?
Good to see an aussie body building forum with real aussies helping aussies!
I was using ON WHEY before I went to Cambodia. Not a bad tasting product and very cheap but I think it lacked major ingredients I needed, which was Carbs. I would like to give horleys another go.

cotton shirts, sweat pants and shoes is pretty damn good advice mate.

***edit
I have decided to commit to the beginners program! wish me luck. I will take pics of now and in three months time. So 6am Monday, wednesday, Friday will be my training days. Other days will be cardio, well ill try :D

Last edited:
I hate the notion that there are 'beginners' programs.

Everyone wants to start on something advanced - why? advanced programs are very specified to the individual athlete with years of experience. I can tell you that close grips are a major builder for my triceps, but maybe you do better with extensions? maybe triceps arnt your thing at all but unlike me you can build an awesome set of lats, so why do my program that focuses on triceps and shoulders?

'novice programs' give you the basics - a squat, a press and a pull from the floor, give or take some ab and arm work. where you go with them is up to you and develops in time.

Mate, thing about carbs in protein shakes is that carbs are a very cheap resource - a bag of oats is $1.40 at woolies. You're better off getting a straight whey powder, ON whey is probs my favourite of the bigger brands.

Good luck with it.

The problem for me is deciding on supplements. I hear stories of people gaining this month in a month and I switch over. Someone once said this to me

Changing how you look takes time. You need to understand that. People that want to be massive tomorrow quit because it's impossible. Same with losing weight. It doesn't happen in 1 day or 1 week. It takes years of dedication

Wait, getting massive tomorrow is impossible. Full stop! Just like getting super lean 'tomorrow' is impossible. You can lose a fair bit of weight over night if you do a few trade tricks, but it's merely carrying less water around (for losing scale weight), which you'll gain back in the next day or if you wanted to get massive, just sit down to a huge meal at KFC & you'll be 'massive' tomrorw...just the wrong sort.

carbs are cheap. Like the boss said, look how cheap oats are. But on the flip side, a 6 pack of eggs could set you back as little as $2.70, if you have all the whites & a few yolk, that's not a bad meal at all!! sorry if i've confussed u

Sounds like my best option is to buy ON. Add a few nuts, eggs and a banana to increase calories intake, munch on oats throughout the day to up the carbs?

I have not been working out at all this week. There seems to be an issue with my shoulder. There is a strong pain around the joint. Not sure if its work related injury or from the gym that morning or combined. But its very painful. The dr told me to take it easy. Fingers crossed it heals this week! i am keen to start the beginners workout.

why not buy from professionalwhey.com.au? you can get 5kg for $100 and $20kg for $250. Awesome value. Then just buy a packet of flavouring (also from professionalwhey) for $20.

ON is good whey though.

Do you buy just the cocoa Oli or the Stevia leaf powder sweetener as well?

5kg protein powder $94.50
500g Organic Cacao $19.95
100g Organic Stevia Leaf Powder $11.00
That's $125.50 for 5.6kg or $22.41/kg.

ON Whey is $159 for a 4.45kg bag or $35.73/kg.

That's a 60% premium - does the other stuff mix well and is it comparable in taste to ON?

I get my stuff from supplementsden in Springwood. ON WHEY @ 89.90 for 2.2kg containing 71 servings.

Oliver, are you using WPC or WPI? From my understanding WPI is great for post workout but not so good in between meals. Is that correct?

Do you buy just the cocoa Oli or the Stevia leaf powder sweetener as well?

5kg protein powder $94.50
500g Organic Cacao $19.95
100g Organic Stevia Leaf Powder $11.00
That's $125.50 for 5.6kg or $22.41/kg.

ON Whey is $159 for a 4.45kg bag or $35.73/kg.

That's a 60% premium - does the other stuff mix well and is it comparable in taste to ON?

tbh I haven't actually tried ON but a year on forums has shown me that the choc flavour has a good rep.

I actually drink the professionalwhey stuff without any form of flavouring. It basically tastes like sweetened milk, and I'd imagine mixed with cocao it would taste as good (probably a little plainer) as the mustashi and natures own shit I started off with.

In terms of mixing it mixes extremely well with a blender. In my experience no protein powder will stir in with a spoon.

I get my stuff from supplementsden in Springwood. ON WHEY @ 89.90 for 2.2kg containing 71 servings.

Oliver, are you using WPC or WPI? From my understanding WPI is great for post workout but not so good in between meals. Is that correct?

Theres a big deal made about fast and slow absorbing whey protein powder. WPC is advantageous because its much cheaper, I'd only go WPI if you have limitless funds or are lactose intolerant.

ON whey is good, it does stir with a spoon. BSN syntha-6 is also good, its a little bit expensive but actually tastes good. i have them both and mix it up daily.
i usually buy WPI just because it mixes and taste better imo. with protein powder im big on taste, if i dont like the taste, having a shake will become a chore and ill be less likely to stay on it.