• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift replacement??

brian_wong

I dont really want to do deadlifts at my gym coz i dont want to bust my back. Is there any other exercise that can target the lower back??

If you have a normal functional back, then you can do deadlifts without busting it. You just need someone experienced to show you good form for it. One of the instructors at the gym should show you, choose someone big and older if you can, the scrawny younger ones mightn't know ;)

If you have a back injury or condition, then your physio can suggest alternate exercises.

Last edited:
Hyper extensions, I think they are called, on the roman chair will target your lower back.
There are also stiff leg deadlifts/romanian deadlifts and good mornings.

But as Kyle says, you won't bust your back if you deadlift with good form.
And you might even grow some quality muscle in the process.

do not avoid deadlifts unless you have some sort of degenerative spinal cord disease which i dont think you do so.....DEADLIFT!!!!

if you deadlift right, you'll actually prevent back injuries. it sounds like your back-injury free...so...get in there, get one of the PT's in your gym to deadlift right &/or talk to the biggest / strongest guy in your gym & ask for help!

i was under the impression that the jury wasn't out yet about kids doing weight training. One arguement is that it interupts the natural formation of growth plates and....shit like that.

Possibly at your age, keep it to body weight exercises, ie chin up's, sit up's, plank (ab) holds, dips, pistol squats...stuff like that. Thas' juz my opinion tho

Heaps of footballers in the US and Australia do weight training as teenagers, and they are not known for their lack of growth.

Only damaging a growth plate will stunt your growth. Contact sports are more likely to stunt growth through growth plate damage than lifting.

Brian, take it slow, no max attempts, get your neural pathways conditioned to lifting, plenty of time to ramp the lifts up later. Dont avoid the basics, have someone teach them to you.