• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CARBS and Workout performance?

misslifty

Hi all, OK leg session today, I could lift heavy but I did not have the endurance for multiple reps like I would.

I train @ 9:00am every morning and wake up about 7:15. I have OATS and berries etc for breakfast.

Is it OK to have powdered OATS before bed in my protein shake around 11:00pm?

Thanks.

IIFYM
attachment.php

I lift more when I am heavier
I am heavier when glycogen loaded

Other than that I notice no difference. My best lifts have all been glycogen depleted with the exception of my most recent bench press
I even did my last meet glycogen depleted. The body works great on the ATP/Creatine cycle. Glycogen is not needed unless you're doing very high reps and even then it's more of a "middle ground" of suckage. For example one time I benched 105kg for 1 rep, benched 80kg for 4 reps, 70kg for 6 reps then 60kg for 20 reps in the same workout. You can see there is good top end strength and good repping strength but this middle ground where I should be able to rep the weight 8-12 times with ease but can not. You can see this happening in this video actually:

You can see in the rep test I am trying to get the reps out as fast as possible, I run out of ATP after a certain amount of time and just "die" because I don't have any glycogen to use. Hope this explains it well

LOLZ guys ...
[MENTION=17086]misslifty[/MENTION]; it doesn't matter re nutrient timing so much. If I train in the morning I usually carb up the night before as I can't stomach a decent meal before training in the AM usually.

Ultimately, the important thing is what works for you. If you perform best having a carb up the night before, do that. If you perform better by having a carb meal pre training, do that. Or both, whatever works for you. In the end, that is what will get you results.

Oni it just looks like you couldn't lift the weight any more there because it was fairly heavy for you. Looked like it got gradually more difficult until it was impossible.

I find in the morning I lift less cause I'm not as awake as I am in the evening, not sure nutrition timing matters too much in this respect. I do have a shake and meal afterwards though.

I tried keto once and lost a shitload of strength. Other people maintain or increase in keto. Above all I think try things like it seems you have and keep what works, throw out what doesn't. FWIW CBL didn't work out too well for me either, especially for concentrating at work. Similarly MAX-OT didnt work for me too well for chest/bench/back, so I stopped it. Try things, if they work, keep em, if they don't, stop em.

I lift more when I am heavier
I am heavier when glycogen loaded

Other than that I notice no difference. My best lifts have all been glycogen depleted with the exception of my most recent bench press
I even did my last meet glycogen depleted. The body works great on the ATP/Creatine cycle. Glycogen is not needed unless you're doing very high reps and even then it's more of a "middle ground" of suckage. For example one time I benched 105kg for 1 rep, benched 80kg for 4 reps, 70kg for 6 reps then 60kg for 20 reps in the same workout. You can see there is good top end strength and good repping strength but this middle ground where I should be able to rep the weight 8-12 times with ease but can not. You can see this happening in this video actually:

You can see in the rep test I am trying to get the reps out as fast as possible, I run out of ATP after a certain amount of time and just "die" because I don't have any glycogen to use. Hope this explains it well

where you breathing when you did that, or did you hold your breath the hole set?

where you breathing when you did that, or did you hold your breath the hole set?

I took breaths when I paused.
It may look like it slowed down until I couldn't get any more but it "feels" different somehow. It's as if you're going strong then nothing
Repping when carb loaded, it's more like each rep gets progressively slower and slower I guess