• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

About becoming a personal trainer

Kyle,with the utmost respect...everytime you talk about firing clients my skin crawls.
Sometimes its more complicated for the client than likeability reliability and trainability.
Sure.

But here's the thing.

As our scheduled session approaches, I am not sure if they'll show or not - which means I got up at 0500 to get into the gym at 0600 and now I'm not going to be paid at all. That's what unreliability means - I wasted my time and have no money. In some cases, I may have turned down another client because I had a scheduled session with them.

Hardworking - everyone's mental limits are below their physical limits, that's fair enough. But most people respond to a bit of encouragement. Some don't. "I can't!"
"But you just did."
"But I can't!"
(etc)

If someone tells me he wants to be in the Commandos, well I do expect some effort in the sessions.

Likeability - I'm not exactly Mr Personality myself. That's okay. But when I say hello, I expect more than a grunt in return. If I ask a question, I expect more than a single word answer. And yes I know you the client are nice-looking, but no I do not want to have an affair with you, thanks very much.

All my clients get my utmost dedication. My eyes are always on them the whole session, I never sit down once, I praise every good rep and stop any exercise where I see them in pain or distracted. Without my clients asking, I consult with physiotherapists and exercise physiologists to assist with appropriate exercises to improve their condition and avoid further injury.

Clients who are reliable, hardworking and likable get extra time, provided I have no client scheduled immediately after them.

I give much, much more to clients than I ask from them. If then they miss two or three sessions in a row because they're hungover, or if I ask them to go deeper in a squat and they refuse, or if I advise them to seek medical advice and they refuse - well, tough luck for them.

Again, the major issue has been reliability. In both my professional and my personal life, I cannot set aside time for people if I really have no idea if they'll show up or not. Yes, they may have personal issues. But I'm not a psychologist, nor am I psychic. If a person gives me notice they need give me no reason for it, it's their business. If they just don't show... there'd better be a good reason.

As Joe Diandonato puts it,
"As a novice trainer, I pretty much took on whoever wanted to train with me, however I learned throughout the years that some clients aren’t worthy of the services you provide. If they’re clearly not dedicated, never punctual, and put up a fight every time you try to get them do try something new, they may not be worth your time and resources. Additionally, a lack of selectivity could be a potential cause for burnout amongst fitness professionals. Be sure to use your time wisely and spend your resources and your passion for helping others on people who deserve it!"​

And in the end, I'm worth more than that. I deserve better than to be fucked around, come home angry and pissed off to my poor wife, and burn out on the job inside 12 months.

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, here. If you were 40kg and are over four foot tall, we're talking about either an eating disorder or serious illness. Both require the assistance of medical professionals. A trainer is not a medical professional. I'm not sure whether he went outside his scope of practice, or you were expecting more than he could give, or whether you're obliquely referring to some other issue like a romantic affair.

Of course, that is your private business and you certainly need not share it on a public forum. But don't expect us to understand if we don't know the whole story.

Last edited:
And in the end, I'm worth more than that. I deserve better than to be fucked around, come home angry and pissed off to my poor wife, and burn out on the job inside 12 months.

+1

I used to think that, in business, the customer is always right. Fuck that shit.

Thismorning, I had a boomlift licence course scheduled for 8am sharp. Their paperwork says to arrive no later than 7.45am. Three guys rock up at 8.30 - and wonder why I didn't call them?

Nothing oblique kyle, but that is the automatic assumption isn't it.
Not an issue of reliability that's for sure, hardworking...everything i had every session.
More about professionalism and boundaries and me being unwell emotionally and physically. He said I don't want you to train and I would spak it and he would cave, every single time. After 3 months, he no longer requested my food diary, nor at any time during the period where i was losing weight. There was no medical clearance request.

I'm not blaming him for what happened, I take responsibility for being unwell, I'm just saying that if the integrity you demonstrate in your practice had been applied to my situation, things may not have deteriorated for me as far as they did before I got help and started fighting my way back.

I don't need someone that feels sorry for me and takes my shit home to their wife to train me. I need someone who understand where I'm coming from and uses it to maximise my performance/potential.

More about professionalism and boundaries and me being unwell emotionally and physically. He said I don't want you to train and I would spak it and he would cave, every single time.
And this, leachy, is another reason you don't just milk the clients even if you think you're not helping them.

eje, it may be that he felt you would be even worse off without him.

I had a woman of 48kg come to me, short and small-framed but still underweight. She wanted to lose 4kg. I explained this was unhealthy, and asked what for, and what other goals she had, hoping to get her to focus on healthier goals. She was insistent, so I said,

"I'm sorry, I am here to help people with their healthy goals. You are already underweight, so your losing more weight would be bad for your health. I can't help you lose weight any more than I could help you cut off your leg. I can't train you. The other goals you mentioned, if you abandoned your weight loss goal and stuck to them, I could help you."

She was shocked and complained to the manager, who reprimanded me. Like leachy, he thought I should milk her, and that she would be worse off without me, "Now she'll just starve herself." I didn't care about being told off. I'm in this for the long-haul. I doubt she was worse off without me. You never know, but in any profession sometimes you have to just make that judgment call. Sometimes you're wrong, sometimes right, that's life.

Last edited:
I had thoughts of slashing my wrists reading this stuff.

Instead, I'm going to hug and kiss every client (except Dave) tomorrow night.

I got really, REALLY lucky.

That is why I dont advertise, no business card, ads in papers etc.

If a clients wants to train with me, they seek me out. This way I get the kind of clients I want to train.

Big kisses for everyone tomorrow lol

The title Personal Trainer sucks. It seems that clients pay you and expect you to give a shit about their excuses and irrelevant life story.

You just hit the nail on the head.

It may sound cold and callouse, but its spot on.

I must admit though that my situation is very different to Kyle's and eje

that is why I'm kissin everyone tomorrow

Coming in Dancer lol

The title Personal Trainer sucks. It seems that clients pay you and expect you to give a shit about their excuses and irrelevant life story.

I'm outta this one after i say...i would like to know how you determine what is relevant or irrelevant. I spose it depends on the goals, depends on the lots of things doesnt it, what is relevant information for one, won't be the same as another, what is an excuse for one, may be reality for another...

Excuse, reality, it doesn't matter. You either make your training time and work hard, or you don't.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda.

Excuse, reality, it doesn't matter. You either make your training time and work hard, or you don't.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda.

Yep, I agree that if you arn't on time for your session regularly and you dont work hard then you should be fired....absolutely.

PTC...don't forget to share that love today, hugs and kisses for all clients remember...lol.

eje, good luck in bulking up.
If a clients wants to train with me, they seek me out. This way I get the kind of clients I want to train.
In practice, each trainer does, too. Thinking of those I know at the gyms, I have asked each what sort of clients they enjoy, and then I've looked at what they've got.
  • one does not really want to train anyone, and has had 4 clients in 4 years
  • one wants to train people for "core stability", and has several clients on swiss balls, doing one-armed presses while standing on one leg, etc
  • one wants to train people for high levels of cardiovascular fitness, and has several clients doing intervals on bikes, sprinting across the stadium, etc
  • one wants to train people for strength, and has several clients all of whom squat
  • one wants to chat with friends, and has several clients who spend most of the session chatting
So in general, the trainers are getting the kinds of clients they want. Of course each gets the occasional client who's a complete mismatch, but they don't last. Markos has experienced this many times, many people have come to PTC just once.

Certainly many younger trainers will take whoever comes to them. But whoever comes to you - the ones who ask at reception for a PT, and are assigned to a trainer - those clients tend not to last. The ones who last are those the trainer gets along with, has recruited themselves. And those will tend to be the ones whose goals the trainer finds interesting and whose attitude the trainer likes.

It's a slower and more confused process than Markos'. He just lays it all out on his website, whereas most PTs have to go through a few sessions with the person first.

I've tried to speed it up by questioning people closely before their first sessions. I've referred clients to other trainers I think they would be a better fit with. If someone starts chatting about stuff unrelated to their health and fitness, or says, "I just want to tone up," or says, "my chiropractor says weight training will be dangerous for me, but I need to stabilise my core," then I know who to send them to.

Most of my clients are great, I look forward to seeing them. The ones I dreaded seeing I fired - most of the time I kicked them back to the manager to get them a new trainer. I can't choose my co-workers, but to a large extend I can choose my clients.

Of course this leads to a lower income than I'd have if I just took everyone. But I'd just spend that extra money on drowning my sorrows in beer anyway.

Friday's storm flooded the gym, it was closed for the weekend. "We'll let it dry for a couple of days, come in for your usual Sunday close shift and clean it up, you're the only one with enough strength and patience to do it."
"Thanks."

So I spent this afternoon moving 10 treadmills, 8 bikes, 4 cross-trainers and 2 steppers, a power rack and god knows how many benches. I also rearranged 20x 20kg plates, 12x 15kg, 12x 10kg and a stack of smaller ones.

"Fuck mate I've never seen it looking neater."
"It's always neater without any pesky members to mess it up."

A good workout.

I was tempted to rearrange the place, put the power rack in the corner without mirrors, that sort of thing, but I thought I better not stir up shit

I would have haha

My friend brought her friend today.
My friend (we'll call her JM) improved tenfold on last week's session, and she's already down for Tuesday, Friday and Sunday again. She also didn't go out drinking last night and was in bed by midnight (this I can confirm).
Her friend, who has lost 25kg+ through running, struggled. If you thought I was quad dominant you should see her. Will be a good challenge to get those hammies and glutes going!

With the really quad-dominant ones, it can sometimes help to have them do supine hip extensions before their squats - up, hold and down each for a four-count. Tends to make them more aware of their glutes.

Or you can just put them straight into squatting and yell at them "KNEES OUT! WEIGHT THROUGH YOUR HEELS DAMNIT!"

Either works well.

lol I did both.
JM can put some weight on the bar now (they're just doing bench squats at about parallel atm, then bulgarian split squats to make sure they get full ROM at the knee and hip), I'm going to get the other girl to practise just BW but with a power band around her legs just below the knees. That way she has to push out against the band.

I taught some girls in my class about glute activation. The one who couldn't squat before can now, and the other 2 can now both squat 80kg, and actually get DOMS in the hamstrings and glutes instead of just the quads