• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

zen do kai

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Anyone here do zen do kai?

Thinking of going to a few sessions at only $6 a session ,best thing is lesson are held just around the corner from me

I'm always reticent to contribute to martial arts threads because they always seem to decline into "mine is better than yours" lol. Anyway...

I do it, and enjoy it. Incorporates elements of muay thai, MMA, traditional karate, BJJ/wrestling. There is a set of katas too. It's fun in that you do lot's of different things but also you need to train for a long while to get really good because there is a lot to cover.
Most gyms also have muay thai classes.

I think, as with anything, the people and atmosphere are the most important thing. Go check out the gym, if its professional and the instructors know what they are doing, it should be great.
Hope that helps.

thanks dicko , the one i was looking at attending does MMA , muay thai and also AEK - weapons training
lessons are only $6 a session so not a huge amount to fork out

$6 is a very good price, you can only give it a shot anyway. if it sucks move on thats what i did

Mine is better than yours....

...had to be done.

Hadn't heard of it before this. Sounds fun. My limited martial arts experience is Boxing and a brief stint in Kickboxing before an accidental leg chop hit a touch too low and took out a knee. Kicking just feels ugly because of it these days. Movement is fine though and the hands are still good. Anyway, it's close and is cheap as buggery so why not give it a go? Extra fitness, learning something new, meet some new people, have some fun. I say go for it.

Yeah meet some new people....and annihilate them. All at bargain basement prices! Shiiiiiiit, what could be better than that? Go for it!

Hadn't heard of it before this.

It's an Australian martial arts. An old friend from high school reckoned his uncle, Bob Jones, invented it. Bob did invent it but I was always hesitant to believe he was actually my mates uncle.
It's been around for about 40 years. I remember many kids in school doing it.

So i went along to a session tonight , i didn't take part but sat on the sidelines watching. I chose a good night to go along as Bob Jones himself was there , the dojo was having a grand opening on their new permanent dojo previously they were in a hall but now have their own building

Bob jones displayed a few good techniques , i was sitting there amazed that here is this guy with bushy redish hair , fair skin and a bit of a gut who created this training method , he didn't fit the stereotype mould of a lean mean fighting machine , which just goes to show that you never know who has had training

the training style looked pretty good , the instructors were great teachers offering many tips

next one is on monday so i am heading off to it

awesome mate! how's that for luck, Bob Jones first night at training!
he was in WA on the weekend for a fight night.
hope you enjoy monday

I did Taekwondo when i was a bit younger, but due to many things i gave it up , but watching the session i was looking at the moves , like turning a simple hand shake into a move to gain control of someone , or the waving of a hand to block a punch. It looked alot like something out of karate kid , wax on wax off , painting the fence and sanding the floor, and then the drum technique . Such simple little movements but when used right they are quite effective

I did the ol Bob Jones method for a while a few years back now, really enjoyed it. A good mate from work was fairly good at it and had learnt some pretty cool stuff, multiple attackers, couple of weapons etc.

i guess with any martial art you need to look at what you want out of it. do you want self defense against one or multiple attackers, do you want to improve on your fitness/flexibility/health/discipline , do you want to compete in a new sport or do you just want to be an all around bad-ass with a belt to brag about? another thing i found myself when looking for a martial art was whether you want full, semi or no contact sparring/practice. Obviously full or semi contact sparring/practice can lead to injuries so its definitely something to consider....

I did zdk for a few years it is based on very traditional karate, you will see almost identicle kartas in other styles..

The bit I liked was that it also lent itself heaps of techniques from other styles, we actually went to boxing classes for a few weeks to learn boxing,, did muay tai aswell. lots of hand to hand and self defence stuff, we would have night club nights, mostly grappleing knees, elbows etc, but we would all gather around so we had limited movemets,, and we had quite a few weapons demonstators, SAS, instructors etc also

was really good, and yes was a great bunch of guys, you dont want to train with a pack of meatheads

have been going for a few weeks now , it's quite a good work , learning some great moves have been doing grappleing knees, elbows etc, last session we did some boxing punch combo's

i must say that i am quite enjoying it

that's great to hear mate....TBH when I finished up ZDK it was turning a bit to shit..but it's good to hear it's back on track again..

I did TKD in high school and at Uni. We used to laugh at the "Zenni Boyz". But it's all good. They laughed at us, too.
Bob J has been pretty successful for a number of years. ZDK used to be "traditional" karate with kata and weapons. Then they tried to own teh Muay Thai franchise for Australia and a lot of meatheads got involved.
Looks liek he is developing his business model and including all the new and popular stuff like MMA/BJJ.
So long as your instructor is good and you put the effort in you should get something out of it.

For Lol's there is some funny old BobJ stuff on the net.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_-18IlC4sc]YouTube - Bob Jones: Hands OFF![/ame]

Also, there is one video of Bob Himself where he is saying that with some of his guys could have won the Vietnam war in 40 days. So he is still a cock.