• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Your thoughts on Metabolism if I may.

M@YHEM

I want to know at what point does the basal metabolic rate drop during a cut.
For example: 25 year old healthy female aprox 55kg. 2 half hour weight sessions a week, 2x 1hr low intensity sessions a week.
Diet Breakdown: 125p 80c 40f = 1180cal
Weight has dropped over the last few months from 60kg.
Does that now mean that her maintenance calories are for a 55kg person or can she build back up to 60kg maintenance reverse dieting without putting weight back on?

The story so far.
PT has just lowered carbs and protein(slightly)

Weight loss has plateaued. She has been told to have what is called an accelerator day where basically she needs to half her food intake.

What she is finding is that when she has a binge on the weekend - food and drink. She drops weight again.

My take: GET RID OF THE PT IMMEDIATELY!

Increase weight sessions to 4-5 drop one LISS add one HIIT.

I'm assuming the binge is stimulating metabolism due to increased calories in and getting things moving again.

I also feel as though this style of dieting is potentially damaging her metabolism due to not having a re-feed day.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Thanks, have seen Layne's vids and its part of what triggered alarm bells when I heard her talking about what has been going on.

How tall is she?

Follow Norton my trainer follows his principles and compared to the old diets I used to have I feel amazing and am maintaining

the alarm bells are a good sign that she needs to change something.

halving her food intake on the weekend is the opposite and she's figured that out already (although binge eating is BAD and not the way one should refeed)

@M@YHEM;

ok by the stats you've given

Weight: ~ 55kg
height: ~ 170cm

her BMR ~ 1378 (never eat below that obviously)

her TDEE is somewhere between 1800 - 2120 depending on which method you believe (based on the activity level you mentioned).

With reverse dieting the idea is to increase kcals and macros (mostly carbs iwth a bit of fats getting upped and keep protein fixed) by a small amount each week, based on progress. Usual increase is about 1% kcal increase per week. I've done that and it's really good. Slow but worth the effort. This is Layne Norton's approach in a broad sense. It's good to track progres every week.

This helps your body to adapt to more calories and is designed to help you grow without adding more fat than is necessary. How much fat you put on is a bit individual frankly but this method helps to minimise it.

If she is looking to stay at the same weight but recomp only, then stick with maintenance / TDEE macros. She will have to figure out her actual TDEE setpoint with a bit of a trial and tracking.

@M@YHEM;

ok by the stats you've given

Weight: ~ 55kg
height: ~ 170cm

her BMR ~ 1378 (never eat below that obviously)

her TDEE is somewhere between 1800 - 2120 depending on which method you believe (based on the activity level you mentioned).

With reverse dieting the idea is to increase kcals and macros (mostly carbs iwth a bit of fats getting upped and keep protein fixed) by a small amount each week, based on progress. Usual increase is about 1% kcal increase per week. I've done that and it's really good. Slow but worth the effort. This is Layne Norton's approach in a broad sense. It's good to track progres every week.

This helps your body to adapt to more calories and is designed to help you grow without adding more fat than is necessary. How much fat you put on is a bit individual frankly but this method helps to minimise it.

If she is looking to stay at the same weight but recomp only, then stick with maintenance / TDEE macros. She will have to figure out her actual TDEE setpoint with a bit of a trial and tracking.

AWESOME!! thank you...:)

now to convince her. I'll get her to watch Layne's video, I posted it on her FB page. Hopefully her PT will see too.

[MENTION=14031]M@YHEM[/MENTION]; Layne now has about 3-4 vids posted on metabolic damage and also a really good one about water loading/sodium/potassium etc which is relevant for anyone competing.

She should check them all out...as usual, he pfaffs about a bit (but he's a sweet guy lol) but he does expand on different aspects of the whole metabolism thing.

Worth spending a bit of time on them for sure.

@M@YHEM; Layne now has about 3-4 vids posted on metabolic damage and also a really good one about water loading/sodium/potassium etc which is relevant for anyone competing.

She should check them all out...as usual, he pfaffs about a bit (but he's a sweet guy lol) but he does expand on different aspects of the whole metabolism thing.

Worth spending a bit of time on them for sure.

Thanks for your input.. I appreciate it.

If you read 'carb nite' it also talks about metabolic damage, and how it is caused. And why callorie restriction causes the damage.

Obviously it's based around the carb nite concepts but worth a read anyway.

If you read 'carb nite' it also talks about metabolic damage, and how it is caused. And why callorie restriction causes the damage.

Obviously it's based around the carb nite concepts but worth a read anyway.

Cheers mate will check it out.

Sounds like her binge day is the refeed ;)

Second the LN vids. The amount of adaptive thermogenesis for someone dieting is going to be a very individual thing and any numbers you get are only going to be estimates of estimates basically. (because the TDEE is an estimate and the cals tracked will always have some variances also)

Sounds like her binge day is the refeed ;)

Second the LN vids. The amount of adaptive thermogenesis for someone dieting is going to be a very individual thing and any numbers you get are only going to be estimates of estimates basically. (because the TDEE is an estimate and the cals tracked will always have some variances also)

Yeah I should have made that a little clearer. Its not every weekend she binges. But when she does, her weigh-ins are better for it.

I get what you mean about the estimates though, Ive seen some pretty crazy figures compared to what the normal is supposed to be.