• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Will this much running affect my strength gains?

zan777

hello,

I do AFL umpiring and as a result = lots of high intensity running sessions not only during games where we cover about 10-15ks (mainly sprinting) and also train multiple days a week.

Pre-season has just started and there is a pretty big workload looking at the program. I won't go into heaps of detail but give you a brief rundown of this week (only getting harder)

monday (moderate)
3k jog @ 70%
45 minute resistance gym session

tuesday (intense)
6km jog at 70% - with 5 x 3 minute surge at 85%

wednesday (recovery)
light walk- as needed to remove lactic

thursday (intense)
20 min x 70%
5 x 40m sprints at max
15 min x 75%

Friday (recovery)
Light 50m min gym session

sat (intense)
5k @ 70-80%

Sun (recovery)
recovery techniques as needed

So thats an overview for you to get an idea of what is going on. Obviously this is week 1 so over the next 3/4 months will get progressively harder.

I have started hitting the gym in the off-season with a goal of increasing strength + muscle mass. More focus on strength to get to a good base then will focus more on mass.

I'm already pretty lean (181cm , 67kg) and my lifts would be low for my age/size.

How much will this training affect me do you think, and will i still be able to get the results i want. There is already 2 days of strength "endurance" training but i would like to do my own routine during that time and also add an extra day somewere.

What are your thoughts.

Cheers

I would ditch the strength endurance crap and do a full blown strength routine once every 3 or 4 days, ideally before the "intense" running sessions.

This way they won't take away from the strength sessions and the recovery session acts as recovery for both the weights and harder running session.

I hope you like eating lol

I wouldn't say the sessions they have planned for the gym are crap just not suited to my goals the lifts are similar, but i definetly need to do a full body workout and more exercises then they have.

How much extra food should I be eating on-top of the requirements i have atm (or will this require a whole new thread). My eating habits definetly are letting me down atm. Lack of structured meals means i often go hungry until having a really big meal. This is something I will address in the next 2 weeks once my uni exams are over

with eating, have some home made mass shakes will help.

Lots of milk, protein powder, ice cream, whatever you want in the shake

You will need to calculate (try the calculators on exrx.net) your bmr, exercise expenditure and daily calorie expenditure.outside of exercise. Then you will know how much you need to eat (plus more to grow). Recovery wise will be harder but doable. Cut the strength endurance work like hamburger said as it will just eat into your recovery for a minimal benefit.

There is nothing wrong with eating one big meal if that suits your day to day activities. You don't have to eat often.

Thanks for the advice. Pretty much the next 5 months will just be all training. Im going to start buying meat and chicken in bulk and cooking and separating meals a few days in advance which should really help.

In terms of recovery + supplementation, I am currently taking wpi and creatine mono. Would adding a bcaa or glutamine be helpfull or is this just hype