• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Wider Grip?!

buncey

Hey guys, just been tossing up with my bench press lately, is the wider grip more effective to the pecs?

because i think ive been having more of a closer grip all the time and i think thats why ive been struggling to build pecs is because i dont have a wide grip?

i wouldn't change your grip if your happy with it, there is many other variables like diet, volume etc. Big bodybuilders pec's aren't made overnight.

I'd stop tossing while doing bench 1st......lol

You have no lifts in your sig?

Whats your current chest routine and weights used.

This will make it easier for us to try and help (ie) volume , weight or lifts

What's your current strength like? If it isn't begginer then you can add some other work.

lol rage.

And I'm pretty sure people aren't going to go spend the time to search for your log when they can just ask you.

I actually had similar thoughts lately. I was doing ptc beginners, now doing 5/3/1. 1rm is 100kg, did 78x8 the other day. Bit I never really feel like chest is limiting factor, always tri's. My assistance exercises are weighted dips and bent rows. (On Overhead pressing day, I also do weighted chins and power cleans)

Dropped the weight way down last night and chucked in some wide grip bench and instantly seemed like it targetted the chest more. Think I might do this from now on.

^^^

The way alot of us bench in here it isnt really chest its tri's, traps , shoulders.. My traps ache after bench day. DB is a different story though. More of a stretch better development with more range of motion. Thats what i find and alot of others have notived.

Another forum Im on alot of guys moving serious weight lack that "chest look" traps and tris however are a different story~!

yerh i felt the same way did the wider grip on saturday and struggled to lift monday cause i was still sore!

I've been thinking about this lately. I suspect like buncey I naturally press with a relatively narrow grip.

yerh i have always known to grip the bar shoulder width but i went a bit wider the other days because my mates were saying and geez it felt like i was working my chest alot more!

If you hold your arms in a crucifix position, then bend your elbows to 90 degrees that will give your a rough guide to hand position. Though obviously not 100% accurate

If you hold your arms in a crucifix position, then bend your elbows to 90 degrees that will give your a rough guide to hand position. Though obviously not 100% accurate

That would end up being an extremely wide grip.

Just remember wide grip bench is much more stressful for the shoulders.

To the original poster I had a skim through your journal. If i read right your 16 and 65 kg, benching in the 60s for reps and pressing in the 20s for reps.

It's not your grip. Get a lot bigger and stronger over the next 5 years and your chest will be bigger. Your focusing on the wrong areas, I would say close grip bench would be much better for you at the moment.

im with hamburgler, thats about the grip i use... Having said that, this isnt about me or what i do... I find a wider grip is easier for me, but thats just me..

Go with what a few people are saying, but get bigger, and the gains will come

yerh i amm only 16, but for my age and my height etc, im doing well with my weights! im a stand out in the gym:p