• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why is my lower back so sore?

brettswhey

Lads/Ladettes.

Been training on rippetoes starting strength for about a month now. Nice steady progression - it is definately working.

However, pulled a muscle in my neck last wednesday. Have had to take a short break from training but was back in the gym today. Had a little sciatica over the weekend but nothing too bad. (I have a slight herniated disc in my lower back but with repeated squatting it is managable.)

I started with squats today. The sciatica started to disappear (which is normal for me.) However, as I continued through the warmup sets my lower back was suddenly very stiff and sore. I don't usually have this problem when I am squatting every other day.

I did manage a few reps over the last sesh but it was alot harder than usual-mainly due to the back.

Its not doms. I would have felt this over the weekend. Pretty sure my form was spot on except for perhaps the last few reps, but the back was stiff even after the first warmup set.

It is now 7 hours since I stopped training and it is still stiff and sore- even when sitting or lying still.

Do any of you experience this? Have I done something wrong?

Could be with pulling your neck out even though it's better now your other back muscles are working differently to compensate which is putting more strain on your lower back? I would definitely put some ice on it if you haven't already and do some very gentle stretching.

Have you tried foam rolling your back? I tried it the other day for the first time and I think it's good.

Stretch these glutes and hamstrings. I too suffer from the same problem. I also do sldl every gym session now first it seems to help.

Have you tried foam rolling your back? I tried it the other day for the first time and I think it's good.
Whats foam rolling? Links?

Sumo- interesting idea but I don't think this is it. I think the reasons below are more likely.

Gaucheharbour- definately going to continue stretching. How often do you get this pain? I've not felt this before. I know what doms and sciatica feel like but this has me walking about like an old man!

I woke up this morning still very stiff and sore. Throughout the morning I have loosened up a bit but noticed that my sciatica is worse than it has been for a long time. I think perhaps the deadlifts (did conventional instead of the usual sumo style) have contributed to this.

I have decided to scrap deadlifts (which is a shame as I would love to move some big weight one day.) I will continue to squat but will substitue with another back excersise that won't put my back in jeopardy. After all, you only get one spine and if I stuff it all this training will be for nothing.

I have squatted plenty in the last month and have never felt anything like this. I am almost certain that deadlifts are the culprit.

Might be worth seeing someone (as much as I hate physio's with a passion) just to make sure nothing serious wrong

Sumo- Cheers mate I've got a referral to a sports physio just haven't booked an appointment yet. I might give tomorrows sesh a miss (see how I feel tomorrow) and see if it gets better with or without training.

Additionally, can you hyper-extend your lower back in the squat? I was always taught to poke my arse out as far as possible and really force that arch.

Good question - yeah you could hyper extend which wouldn't be good. I really focus on keeping an arch as I have a nasty habit of trying to good morning the squat.