• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why high intensity cardio exercise is bad for your heart

5 hours per week? An hour 5 times per week or 45 mins everyday? I'm stuffed well under half an hour and only used to do it 2-3 times per week. If you can go for an hour, either you're superman or you're not doing HIIT, more like LIIT lol

@Test-E bro, i'm picking up what you're putting down, catching what you're throwing, smelling what you're cooking!

Whose got time to meander along on the treadmill for an hour at a coma-inducing slow pace, as opposed to 15-20 minutes of HILT? No one, unless you're one of those gym bunnies religiously following a New Idea inspired kind of workout. Slowly get your fitness levels up to the HILT pedigree and the body will thank you for it, thats for sure. Go hard or go home yolo.

I might add I do hill / stair sprints because I fucking hate cardio and I find it boring, but I don't want to be a fat strong guy who waddles around either. I aim for twice a week due to lack of daylight time.

Also not having a heart attack when I'm older would be sweet

having read article properly, I would never do strenuous work daily. Even with aerobic work, I push hard sparingly. I mix it up in terms of intensity.

Here is an article which shares my views about endurance training.

Successful endurance training involves the manipulation of training intensity,duration, and frequency, with the implicit goals of maximizing performance,
minimizing risk of negative training outcomes, and timing peak fitness and performances
to be achieved when they matter most. Numerous descriptive studies of
the training characteristics of nationally or internationally competitive endurance
athletes training 10 to 13 times per week seem to converge on a typical intensity
distribution in which about 80% of training sessions are performed at low intensity
(2 mM blood lactate), with about 20% dominated by periods of high-intensity
work, such as interval training at approx. 90% VO
2max. Endurance athletes appear
to self-organize toward a high-volume training approach with careful application
of high-intensity training incorporated throughout the training cycle. Training
intensification studies performed on already well-trained athletes do not provide
any convincing evidence that a greater emphasis on high-intensity interval training
in this highly trained athlete population gives long-term performance gains. The
predominance of low-intensity, long-duration training, in combination with fewer,
highly intensive bouts may be complementary in terms of optimizing adaptive
signaling and technical mastery at an acceptable level of stress.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...KBreCZNF6coV9OxT0uZXOyw&bvm=bv.66917471,d.dGI

:NEWS JUST IN: Doing HIIT if you are a) over 60 b) overweight c) have a bad heart CAN be bad for YOUR heart!

:rolleyes:

IMO a HIIT session should last 10-15 minutes max not counting warm up and cool down.

I did HIIT sprints for a while, and all I did was 10 x 100 meter sprints followed by 45 seconds of walking/relaxing, seemed to do the job. Most professional body builders seem to be doing low intensity cardio (walking), I have read a few times that low intensity cardio such as an hours walk is more beneficial for heart health and a health mind. Just finding the time is hard. We have a tread mill set up in front of the TV, but I don't watch TV, so that's a bit of a waste, it gets more use as a cloths drying rack than as a tread mill.

I take my dogs for a walk most days, usually around 5km, more recently been taking them for a bike ride, about 10-15 km depending on the day to knock the energy out of them, they sleep well after that that, and I guess it's doing me some good as well, plus I like spending time with the dogs, beats walking around by yourself just for the sake of it.

No point having a treadmill if you've got decent sized dogs! Well, unless you hang a steak at the end of it and put the pup on there.
I love dogs, the best motivators for getting out and hitting the pavement.

No point having a treadmill if you've got decent sized dogs! Well, unless you hang a steak at the end of it and put the pup on there.
I love dogs, the best motivators for getting out and hitting the pavement.

We had the tread mill before the dogs, and I did use it when it was too hot outside or too late at night and I did not want to go out, treadmill in front of TV is not a bad way to make TV watching time more beneficial, My misses used to watch one episode of what ever show she watches on the tread mill, for about 40 minutes every day.

We have two Siberian Huskies and they love running hence the bike, if they don't run at last 8-10km a day they go crazy. And yes I have though about putting the dogs on the tread mill as well when I am feeling lazy or pressed for time.

I have to agree though they are great motivation, as they start to whinge if they have not been out for a run by 6pm, often I have not felt like it and then they look at me and I just think fuck it, they need to get out and it gets me off my arse.

Here they are about 5 month old:

Last edited:
:NEWS JUST IN: Doing HIIT if you are a) over 60 b) overweight c) have a bad heart CAN be bad for YOUR heart!

:rolleyes:
did you read the article. It was about people of all ages. The second survey was people over 45 surveying their entire lives, pre 45 years of age as well.

"In the second study, Swedish researchers surveyed more than 44,000 men between the ages of 45 and 79 about their physical activity habits at various ages throughout their lives ........... The most active men — those who completed intense exercise for more than five hours a week — were 19 per cent likelier to have developed an irregular heartbeat by age 60"

[MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; wtf you doing to my thread Mick (jk). Nice Huskies, worth a fortune aren't they?

For those in the cheap seats:

It was about people of all ages. The second survey was people over 45 surveying their entire lives, pre 45 years of age as well.

"In the second study, Swedish researchers surveyed more than 44,000 men between the ages of 45 and 79 about their physical activity habits at various ages throughout their lives ........... The most active men — those who completed intense exercise for more than five hours a week — were 19 per cent likelier to have developed an irregular heartbeat by age 60"

For those in the cheap seats:

It was about people of all ages. The second survey was people over 45 surveying their entire lives, pre 45 years of age as well.

The thing is though is that the surveyors had to rely on what the subjects told them, which may or not be accurate but more than likely not very accurate.

@Big Mick ; wtf you doing to my thread Mick (jk). Nice Huskies, worth a fortune aren't they?

Taking it off topic…lol

I have always wanted Huskies since I was a kid of about 11, finally got them at 45, as we never had the space before, they are very demanding dogs exercise wise, they are only 6 month old now and they can run flat out for 10km without any dramas and still be asking for more, fully grown they will need to run at least 20-30km per day which is good for me. I have just ordered a set of pulling harnesses from them, so they can drain more energy. Looking of getting another one in about a year or two, a white one if I can find one at the right price.

These are pure bread Siberian Huskies and are worth about $1500 each, got them for $350 each through a friend of a friend who was breeding them, had to do my own vaccinations/microchips etc though.

Great dogs, I could have 10 of them but feeding them would send me broke they have huge appetites.

Would have to agree 100% with this, I think lack of exercise is a huge issue for 98% of the population, don't think doing too much is much of an issues, and those that go all out being competitive they know what they are doing to their body, you always pay a price somewhere….