• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why do so many people still use BMI charts/calculations if they are so inaccurate?

kindred

Whats the deal?

EDIT: I just dont know why medical proffesionals and government agencies put stock in something that is proven to be random. Its a little scary when you think about how people do stuff even tho they know its meaningless.

Last edited:
I think the only reason they are used is because they are simple and for the average population they can give a reading that is somewhat accurate. As soon as someone outside the average applies it i.e. someone who lifts weights so has a higher than normal muscle mass, the index will become inaccurate.

I don't agree with it either, but it is simply a very broad health test and then from that result further testing may need to be done.

I think the only reason they are used is because they are simple and for the average population they can give a reading that is somewhat accurate. As soon as someone outside the average applies it i.e. someone who lifts weights so has a higher than normal muscle mass, the index will become inaccurate.

I don't agree with it either, but it is simply a very broad health test and then from that result further testing may need to be done.

True.Only good for the average Joe.
Any decent health professional would take it all case by case.

I read somewhere that it isnt even good for the average joe mostly because what defines average?

Article about this in the Weekend Australian mag this week. About perfectly normal kids being classified as obese and their parents being sent letters saying that their children are in danger and need to get to a specilaist.