• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why are you STILL doing low volume training?

People do low volume because it doesn't hurt so much and they get back to the tv quicker. All those guys bragging about training in 35 minutes.

Low volume is just doing less training. Have you ever seen anyone get really good at something by not doing much of it.

Last edited:
All groups were significantly stronger. It doesn't say how much stronger the 1 set group were after 3 weeks, or what the difference was at later times in the study. But, let's say for argument's sake that after 3 weeks, the 1 set group was 5% stronger. 8% of 5% brings us all the way up to 5.4% stronger. I realise that over the course of a year or years, getting an extra 8% progress will add up to being stronger. But, 8 times the work for only 8% more benefit isn't a big selling point to most human beings. If you're absolutely set on being the best of the best, it makes sense to do it. If powerlifting isn't your religion, however, and if there's more important things in life than numbers on a piece of metal, making the most out of much less work is appealing.

I typically train about 8 hours a week. If I could be guaranteed 10% PBs on the main lifts 3 times a year while maintaining that schedule, I'd be pretty pleased with that. If you told me that I could make 10.8% PBs instead by doubling my workload, I would not consider it worth it. There's a point for each person at which the benefits of reaching for the next level are not worth the cost.

All groups were significantly stronger. It doesn't say how much stronger the 1 set group were after 3 weeks, or what the difference was at later times in the study. But, let's say for argument's sake that after 3 weeks, the 1 set group was 5% stronger. 8% of 5% brings us all the way up to 5.4% stronger. I realise that over the course of a year or years, getting an extra 8% progress will add up to being stronger. But, 8 times the work for only 8% more benefit isn't a big selling point to most human beings. If you're absolutely set on being the best of the best, it makes sense to do it. If powerlifting isn't your religion, however, and if there's more important things in life than numbers on a piece of metal, making the most out of much less work is appealing.

I typically train about 8 hours a week. If I could be guaranteed 10% PBs on the main lifts 3 times a year while maintaining that schedule, I'd be pretty pleased with that. If you told me that I could make 10.8% PBs instead by doubling my workload, I would not consider it worth it. There's a point for each person at which the benefits of reaching for the next level are not worth the cost.

From the full paper:
Time Point 1-Set 4-Set 8-Set
PostWashout 149±7.8 157.3±12.2 162.0±11.8
3 Weeks 155.7±8.8 174.1±12.0 179.5±13.9*,a
6 Weeks 165.5±9.2* 178.2±11.8* 194.0±14.3*,a
Post peaking 166.4±12.0* 179.1±11.8* 199.0±13.7*,a

The plus/minus is the range with the number being the average of the range
That's an average 17.4KG strength gain with one set and an average 37KG strength gain with 8 sets.

Yes, I am lost where the 8% figure comes from as well- but this table is from the full paper

From the full paper:
Time Point 1-Set 4-Set 8-Set
PostWashout 149±7.8 157.3±12.2 162.0±11.8
3 Weeks 155.7±8.8 174.1±12.0 179.5±13.9*,a
6 Weeks 165.5±9.2* 178.2±11.8* 194.0±14.3*,a
Post peaking 166.4±12.0* 179.1±11.8* 199.0±13.7*,a

The plus/minus is the range with the number being the average of the range
That's an average 17.4KG strength gain with one set and an average 37KG strength gain with 8 sets.

Yes, I am lost where the 8% figure comes from as well- but this table is from the full paper

Those numbers are a wee bit more compelling.

I notice that the 1-set group start out generally weaker, and the 8-set group start out generally stronger. I also notice that there's a small improvement from 1 set to 4 sets, and a huge improvement from either of the above to 8 sets. All things being equal, you'd expect the stronger person to progress at a slower rate, and you'd expect that each successive set would promote less of a training benefit than the previous set (so, the second set might only provide an additional 50% benefit of the first set, the third set might only provide an additional 50% benefit of the second set, and so on). So, I would have predicted that there'd be a much bigger jump in progress between the 1-set group and the 4-set group than the 4-set group and the 8-set group, both due to their starting points and due to the principal of diminishing returns. The fact that this isn't the case raises additional questions about the test subjects and about the benefits of additional sets.

If the 1-set guys were all 70-80kg and the 8-set guys were all 110-130kg (quite possible, given the requirement that they all be able to squat 130% of their bodyweight), we then have to consider how much of the progress occurred due to the workload, and how much occurred due to what was being worked with. If we can confirm that the huge difference in results is due to programming rather than the bodies doing the program, this data would suggest that we re-evaluate our understanding of diminishing returns, at least at an acute level. It would also prompt us to investigate further what happens as the sets go on to cause such an excess in results.

Those numbers are a wee bit more compelling.

I notice that the 1-set group start out generally weaker, and the 8-set group start out generally stronger. I also notice that there's a small improvement from 1 set to 4 sets, and a huge improvement from either of the above to 8 sets. All things being equal, you'd expect the stronger person to progress at a slower rate, and you'd expect that each successive set would promote less of a training benefit than the previous set (so, the second set might only provide an additional 50% benefit of the first set, the third set might only provide an additional 50% benefit of the second set, and so on). So, I would have predicted that there'd be a much bigger jump in progress between the 1-set group and the 4-set group than the 4-set group and the 8-set group, both due to their starting points and due to the principal of diminishing returns. The fact that this isn't the case raises additional questions about the test subjects and about the benefits of additional sets.

If the 1-set guys were all 70-80kg and the 8-set guys were all 110-130kg (quite possible, given the requirement that they all be able to squat 130% of their bodyweight), we then have to consider how much of the progress occurred due to the workload, and how much occurred due to what was being worked with. If we can confirm that the huge difference in results is due to programming rather than the bodies doing the program, this data would suggest that we re-evaluate our understanding of diminishing returns, at least at an acute level. It would also prompt us to investigate further what happens as the sets go on to cause such an excess in results.

The full paper is awesome, they also go into how they saw there were high responders and low responders to strength training in general but never did a second trial to see what kind of training the low and high responders reacted better to. Most of the low responders happened to be in the 1 set group but there is still a big trend between 4 and 8 sets and there were high responders in the 1 set group. No study is going to be perfect but it's a good start and demonstrates that increasing your volume is a good idea in the short term

oldcorollas- the people were randomly assigned to groups. On AVERAGE people were stronger but still not by much. Being able to squat 160kg is marginally better than being able to squat 140kg. Before the study was conducted they trained lightly for two weeks before testing maxes so that previous effects of training did not influence the study (they deloaded). This was the washout period

Interesting stuff. The only training variable that's increased as I've gotten stronger (other than weight lifted, obv) is volume.

still looks like double the gains... thats worth doing! and much bigger gain than 7.9%
does 23% increase in 1RM seem right for a couple (3?) months training?

so.. 3x8/5x5 vs 8sets to failure?

Definition of trained individual seems a bit low compared to the strength standards of this board I'd say.

I think the point would be made further with more trained individuals that more volume is required as training age increases. I think you'd reach a point that the low volume group would just not make any progress.

You have to take these studies with a grain of salt, when it comes to people who can go 140/100/180 they tend to become too advanced for studies like this.

My *insert your choice of back, hip, knee, elbow, wrist, shoulder* breaks at the thought of more volume.

You have to take these studies with a grain of salt, when it comes to people who can go 140/100/180 they tend to become too advanced for studies like this.

Many of the people on this forum will have around the strength levels done in this study. It would be nice to see some more meta-analysis studies done on elite athletes. Ben Cove did a great one on bench shirt carryover. There are a few others as well like the frequency project done on elite powerlifters that showed doing halving the volume per session but doubling the sessions increased strength significantly