• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Who's had a bad experience with a Physio?

Go visit a gp if you want quackery bazza..

The difference between bad gps and quacks is that when bad GPs made mistakes it's due to a misapplication, misunderstanding or lack of knowledge of the science. When quacks make a mistake its because the principles they are applying are complete baloney.

The difference between bad gps and quacks is that when bad GPs made mistakes it's due to a misapplication, misunderstanding or lack of knowledge of the science. When quacks make a mistake its because the principles they are applying are complete baloney.

Same then applies to both... Herbalists can and do do Alot of wonderful things.. Naturopaths with homeopathy magic photos of energy fields and other rubbish quack yes.

But a naturopath who studies nutrition and herbalism.. Different story

Opinion on physios and sports science in general, take it or leave it:

A lot of people involved in either from the moment they get in have a mindset that the garage gym, old school mentality (squatting, deadlifting, pull ups) is what causes damage in the first place. Most seem to be part of the whole stability/functional training bs revolution thing even before they start the course.

So it figures that people on here are going to grind with them - the idea of building up a lower back deadlifting 200kg is completely foreign to them. Even if you find one that lifts they'll likely be riddled with bs.

Same then applies to both... Herbalists can and do do Alot of wonderful things.. Naturopaths with homeopathy magic photos of energy fields and other rubbish quack yes.

But a naturopath who studies nutrition and herbalism.. Different story

You're either a cryonicist or a failure.

I go to curtin uni in perth and was in the uni bookshop the other day and saw quite a few books like starting strength and progressive programming in the physios book section. thought that was pretty cool.

I go to curtin uni in perth and was in the uni bookshop the other day and saw quite a few books like starting strength and progressive programming in the physios book section. thought that was pretty cool.

awesome, might get a copy of SS from there next week.

I have a torn labrum, which is cartilage around the shoulder socket. The Physio refers to it as "frozen shoulder". It feels more painful since I've been seeing the guy. Admittedly I've been slack in not doing the rehab exercises as often as he told me. However it seems to me that this should only delay my recovery rate, not make me feel more pain than before I started.

I had a certain level of pain before I saw the guy (and therefore before I'd done any rehab work). But now, even though I've done several rehab sessions I have a lot more pain? That don't compute to me.

Funnily enough I don't particularly have a bad opinion of the guy. He's a sports Physio who works on one of the Aussie cricketers. He knows a bit about Arthur Jones nautilus machines and a bit of weight training stuff, though he did recommend I use a barbell for a 2kg rehab exercise. He was shocked when I told him the bar was 20kg.

I have a torn labrum, which is cartilage around the shoulder socket. The Physio refers to it as "frozen shoulder". It feels more painful since I've been seeing the guy. Admittedly I've been slack in not doing the rehab exercises as often as he told me. However it seems to me that this should only delay my recovery rate, not make me feel more pain than before I started.

I had a certain level of pain before I saw the guy (and therefore before I'd done any rehab work). But now, even though I've done several rehab sessions I have a lot more pain? That don't compute to me.

Funnily enough I don't particularly have a bad opinion of the guy. He's a sports Physio who works on one of the Aussie cricketers. He knows a bit about Arthur Jones nautilus machines and a bit of weight training stuff, though he did recommend I use a barbell for a 2kg rehab exercise. He was shocked when I told him the bar was 20kg.

Crickets a sport?

I was going to recommend a physio who deals with baseball/cricket after reading 'labrum'. If you ever want an excuse to operate on a shoulder labrum, check out a baseball pitcher.

Modern cricket takes much of it's throwing action froum baseball, thus why I would recommend that also.

I hate physios they dont have a clue what theyre talking about and they keep "insisting" you make another appointment. FUCK OFF!!

I hate physios they dont have a clue what theyre talking about and they keep "insisting" you make another appointment. FUCK OFF!!

haha its so efffing annoying... happened to me today too. They try to withhold info from you so you dont really know what the problem is, then give you one shitty exercise to do untill your next appointment....

"Fricken tell me what the problem is with my knee and give me all the rehab exercises on a sheet of paper so i can piss off from here!" - is what i felt like yelling lol..

if you really do have a torn labrum you should be seeing an orthopaedic surgeon, physio will not help.

I got an MRI done and the report said labral tear, so yeah I definitely have it. The physio keeps talking about frozen shoulder, and how i need to do rehab exercises to cure it. I'm not even sure if the labral tear and the frozen shoulder are exactly the same thing, or whether he's somehow missed the mark.

I took the MRI report initially to the physio (who referred me to the MRI place) and also took it to the GP who initially referred me to the physio. Both were reluctant to go down the surgery path. However your comment does interest me, because my shoulder is definitely more painful than before I saw the physio. I'm getting quite despondent about it, my training has totally gone to shit, and I don't see any immediate way my shoulder is gonna get fixed.

Can you elaborate any further on labral tears, do you know much about them? I've googled it, but didn't find a lot of concrete stuff about treatment.

Can you elaborate any further on labral tears, do you know much about them? I've googled it, but didn't find a lot of concrete stuff about treatment.

There are various types of glenoid labral tears.

Basically, physiotherapy is a common treatment along with anti-inflammatories, with surgery being a last resort. Most labral tears are solved without surgery (yours may or may not need it, listen to your med practitioners).

A VERY important note is that the shoulder needs rest, so if you are trying to push through the pain then the injury will struggle to repair. Also as the labram is fibrocartligenous, its blood supply is minimal compared to something like muscles, therefor much slower to repair.

With surgery, there are a few different ops that you can get. Some shave the torn area down to smoothen it, others rebuild it.

Remember surgery always has risks and complications associated. Also consider that post surgery the should has to have about 2 months recovery.

As for the physio calling it a frozen shoulder..
He may be an idiot or he may have been talking in laymans terms because the average joe doesn't know latin or anatomy termanology. Another possibility is that you have also developed a frozen shoulder because of your larbral tear. Frozen shoulders often arise because of another shoulder injury.

Hope some of that help.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for that Mark. I was considering doing a few dips and chins (even though I knew there'd be pain involved) but I agree it's more sensible to avoid it for now while it heals.

The thing that baffles me is how the shoulder could be significantly more painful since receiving the physio treatment. I mentioned it to the GP and I think that filtered back to the physio, and I could sense the guy has been a bit more shitty with me since then. I dunno why he feels that way, I've got no hidden agenda, I just reported the way I feel.