• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Who stretches?

What's your workout preparation?

• I just do warm up sets of the specific exercise to be performed.

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • I do a general warm up before working out.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I do a general warm up and stretch.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I do specific stretches before working out.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

The Hulk

Active Member, Site Advertiser
Just thought of this now as I finished my workout.
I remember reading if many times before, but never paid much attention to it.

Personally, I've never been big into preparation before lifting, probably never will.
All I do is a few warm up sets of the lifts before performing them, for all the basic body building exercises.

So here's a poll for preparation of body building type workouts.

Last edited:
i stretch a little bit. but not over stretch. i think movement is more important. of course i also do warm up sets. i like to be warm and have a bit of pump going before i get into it. stretching is probably better done after training.

I think everyone is different but I find I get less soreness the next day if I have thoroughly warmed up and stretched before starting...but I also have an office job so I'm probably quite cold to start with....

I'm pretty specific with what I stretch, I have a routine I use before major lifts.
I also have a standard cool down stretch.

Bit of a stretch and light lift to get blood flowing then get stuck into it.
Squats usually warmup by ramping up to a set of 80 -100 x 5 or something.
Deads up to 120 - 140 or so.

I'm pretty specific with what I stretch, I have a routine I use before major lifts.
I also have a standard cool down stretch.

Same, I also have specific exercises I do to warm up for other exercises

Cool down not so much, though I probably should as I seem to lose mobility quite easily

Never stretch before weights and just pretend I am stretching before footy games.

Just seems like a waste of energy to me.

bazza if you have full range of motion while cold, then you don't need stretches :)

some of us need stretching to get back into normal human shape, or to allow the required range of motion for the task...

I try to stretch but my lats are too huge to move my arms around so its impossible for me.

I never used to stretch, after straining something and struggling to even _get_ into a squat, I'm now stretching before all my workouts, lower body at least.

I follow two methods

In winter or whenever it's really cold, i will undertake a five minute warmup on the rower before starting warm up sets of the exercise.

On warmer days I will jump straight into warm up sets

I have never really streched, even when playing football I didnt stretch that much and never had a soft tissue injury, but did do my acl twice but this asnt related to strenching.......since lifting weights I don't stretch either just some warm up sets and into the work sets, occasionally when i am sore I will strech a little but this is more the exception then the rule.

I don't do much stretching around when I do weights, but I do stretching on my other training days. I should look into stretching more after workouts I guess. Anyone have any good/semi reputable or better links for post workout stretching routines?