• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

who bulk cooks/freezes their meals?

Beef, mushroom and potato stew in the slow cooker last night, Been grazing on this bad boy all day.

Tonight i want to put on a Hungarian chicken and bacon goulash

That's sounds like my kind of food

Ive had a love hate relationship with my slow cooker the last couple years - Ive finally started to get it all down pat.

Perfect for winter - Next is Steel cut oats... But really.... id take a Beef and Guinness stew over oats any morning :)

I do get some funny looks tucking into a container of beef stew at 7 30 am at work..... as they eat there coco pops......

Ive had a love hate relationship with my slow cooker the last couple years - Ive finally started to get it all down pat.

Perfect for winter - Next is Steel cut oats... But really.... id take a Beef and Guinness stew over oats any morning :)

I do get some funny looks tucking into a container of beef stew at 7 30 am at work..... as they eat there coco pops......

I reckon casseroles, stews, goulash etc. are the perfect meal

If you want something thats sodding easy to cook and great as a lunch on a cut, I'm a fan of Moroccan chicken:

1. Take frozen chicken breast out to thaw in warm water
  2. Throw in 1 cup broccoli and a dash of water into a pan, cover
  3. By the time the broccoli is done(5-10 min), the chicken should be defrosted
  4. Butterfly the chicken
  5. Use about a teaspoon of Moroccan Spice from masterfoods and rub it all over the chicken
  6. Put it in with the broccoli, cover and leave it to cook (10-15 mins)

If it's done properly, the whole process takes about 20-25 minutes and can be done in bulk or as a one off. Best of all, there's almost no involvement in the dish, literally just put it in the pan and walk away

Some of my easiest and best tasting meals.

Roast chicken.
Put some salt on the skin. Throw in oven for an hour and a half.
Cook a couple chickens and then you have lunches for the next couple days

Roast beef.
Throw in slow cooker for 10 hours. Meat will just fall apart, don't even need a knife. Cook extra and save for the next couple days.

I'm thinking about starting to cook my meals in advance, say every Sunday for the week ahead.
For those of you who do this, I have a few questions.

How do you do it?
How long can the food you cook be frozen/refrigerated?
How do you reheat it? (defrost + microwave/oven?)
How does it taste compared to making it fresh?
What can't/shouldn't be frozen & reheated?
Is it okay to cook chicken, freeze it, then defrost/reheat it later?

I was thinking of doing a couple chicken breasts and tuna tomorrow with the combination of pasta, rice, potato or veggies & some random sauces. Will it be ok to freeze these & reheat later in the week? Or better to just refrigerate them?

How do you do it?
Sunday is a great day to prepare for the week

How long can the food you cook be frozen/refrigerated?
For a very long time...Refrigerated? Not as long as freezing

How do you reheat it? (defrost + microwave/oven?)
Yes, it's the easiest way

How does it taste compared to making it fresh?
Sometimes better particulary with stews, soups and sauces like boglanose

What can't/shouldn't be frozen & reheated?
Bananas

Is it okay to cook chicken, freeze it, then defrost/reheat it later?

Most def.

We like cooking thick soups, stews and we really like the Guinness stew.

The great thing about stews is the cheapest cuts of meat more often than not taste great.

What's the Guinness stew mate?

All props go to BeerMee from AussieBBQ for this one

Sure do, well its not really 'a recipe' in terms of 'exact' ingredients with measurements - I cook it to taste and depending on what in my fridge (and beer fridge).... here it is:

1 to 1.5kg diced beef (I like big chunks personally, like 1.5 - 2cm diced)
1-2 onions
2-3 cloves garlic
1-2 carrots
Leek (sliced & washed)
couple of handfuls green beans
4 tsp beef or chicken stock powder
fresh herbs - whatevers in you garden - thyme and rosemary are good, parsley, etc....
2 bottles/cans guniess/stout
can of tomotoes
2 TBLSP tomato paste
3 tsp cornflour
3-4 TBLSP oil for frying

1) Season the Beef with salt and pepper and brown on all sides in batches in a large caserole dish. (you can also dust the beef in seasoned flour of if you like before frying).

2) Drink some guiness.

3) In the dirty casserole dish (the brown meat residue will be in the bottom of pot frome frying beef), fry the onions for a few minutes, adding leek, carrots, garlic and continue to fry off.

4) Add the meat back into the pot with the herbs, guiness, stock powder, can of tomotoes - bring to the boil stirring occasionaly.

5) get another guiness to drink

6) Into a 170 - 180 deg oven for 2 hours.

7) better get yourself another guiness to drink

icon_cool.gif
Give it a good stir and Add the green beans (wash and cut into half)

9) cook for another 30-40 mins

10) Add tomato paste and cornflour, stir well, let cook for another 10-15 mins (this step is to thicken up the stew).

Serve on mash. Leftover stew makes great pies the next day!! I even freeze a few pies too!!

You can adjust this however you like - swap guiness for red wine, use lamb, use braising steak, add diced potatoes, double or triple the onion, etc..... have fun.

Kangaroo Bolognese absolutely awesome

My recipe is only 207 cals a serve too (125g of mince per serve)

30g Protein
14g Carbs
3g Fat

I'll usually eat 1.5-2 serves in a sitting with either 100g of pasta or some veggies if I'm going low carb.