• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which row is the best for assisting deadlift and grip strength?

Yeah we should use mediocre lifters that have never achieved anything instead

Its the push press equivalent of dumbell rows. Dont see anybody getting all menopausal over jerks and push presses.

yeah good point Dreadlift.

0ni: take Markos for example. He's trained a lot of very strong people.

What did Markos tell you about rows?
I've met him a few times, doesn't seem like the kind of person that would say "cheat" rows don't work

You know if you didn't want the opinion of a forum full of people with shitty deadlifts or a meta analysis of what the best lifters in the world did
Why don't you just fucking ask Markos?

How does what they do not apply to you?
Because they have genetics? Because they take steroids? lol
Just do your deadlifts, do your rows with whatever form you like.

How does what they do not apply to you?
Because they have genetics? Because they take steroids? lol
Just do your deadlifts, do your rows with whatever form you like.

There's quite a bit of difference to training naturally and training on gear, not to mention the difference between beginner, intermediate and advanced lifters for starters.

I can try every kind of row there is, and even other back exercises too - I did 3x12 DB rows with a little bit of body movement today, no wraps naturally. That said, I prefer economy in training, 'bang for buck' if you like, hence posting a topic asking for opinions on relative effectiveness. I suppose rows are possibly more of a bench than deadlift assistance.

The other thing I've noticed with these heavy BB row videos, is that maybe like with heavy curls, at some point it has to involve more body movement to get the momentum into the bar.

Last edited:
In regard to one arm curl, funny as.

He must feel real good having lifted a huge!!!!!! weight.

Last edited:
So Boz... got that info you were after? lol

none of the row movements will help the bar off the floor.
the row movement that hits your upper back will help with keeping your back tight during deadlifts.
heavy rack pulls or deadlifts from boxes (where the weights starts higher) will also help the upper back
Deficit deads (where you stand on a plate or small platform so the weight start from lower position) will help with breaking the floor during regular deadlifts.

For me, I do V-grip rows.
I bought a V-grip bar and a single torsonator ($30 for each item) and I find it puts less strain on my lower back as I can kind of sit back and support my lower back and the bar path is closer to my body as the shins/knees are not in the way.

Like this...
hqdefault.jpg