• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which power rack better?

powerman2

I am so confused.. Money is not a issue, after all I can do fortnightly payments.

So I got 2 power racks I am looking at right now one from gymdirect and the other samsfitness

HPRSP Commercial Power Rack

Powertec Power Rack

Has anyone bought 1 of these power racks? and if you have what would be your review of it?

I want something solid, something that will last me forever, without issues.

I am also looking at barbell bar's and I saw this at gymdirect
220cm Olympic Barbell (1500lbs)

But 220cm's? man that is longer then me.. is that suppose to be a good thing? should I look for something shorter? the good side of it is, its solid.. 1500 pounds of lifting power is awesome but I am worried that it would be to long for me to be able to balance when lifting..

7ft Olympic Barbell 1500lbs

This bar looks badass (maybe because it's black) but thats 7ft..

Let me know guy's which power rack and which bar. Cheer's.

Barbells

You will be really happy with any of the following:

ABC BOP220 ~ $400 (Australian Barbell Company)
Texas Power Bar ~ $500-600 (neg.) (gymandfitness or underground elite)
Pendlay HD Bushing Bar ~ $550 (Muscledriver AU or gymdirect)
Rogue Ohio Bar or Rogue Castro Bar ~ $450 (Rogue Australia)
Again Faster Team bar ~ $300-330 (Again Faster)

or if on a budget you could take a look at:

Muscle Motion
220cm Olympic Black Oxide Barbell_Needle Bearing_Rated 600kg

I haven't seen any reviews yet, but it looks like a decent bar for the $$.

Power Racks

The commercial gymdirect rack is more solid than the Powertec rack or standard Muscle Motion rack. It has a large footprint so you need space/height in your gym area. It has a great monkey bar chin up bar & stable dips but no lat tower option; it uses sabre safety rails. (This is the best choice for powerlifting)

The Powertec rack is nice, it has great dip handles, better spotter rails, a good lat tower option but poor chin up bars. It also has a compact foot print.

The Muscle Motion equivalent offers monkey grip chins, passable lat tower option and weak dip station; it uses sabre safety rails.

Any of these set ups is fine for a home gym and will handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.

Force USA Commercial rack is nice too, band attachments and the like of that's your thing and close hold spacing (and both sabre and square safeties)

Hammer strength Commercial racks can be had for a few grand second hand, overkill but nice, you need a very high ceiling

Iron cage from. Iron edge is solid, but slings rather than safeties and overpriced

I've got a bop220 great bar and Aussie made.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

1. You DON'T need a commercial rack despite what the internet will have you believe. I have trained in powerlifitng gyms that had the standard muscle motion rack and they take a beating no problems.

2. A standard barbell is 7ft long and 20kg's. Unless you are moving epic amounts of weight a $80-100 olympic bar will be fine for your first 2-3 years training. Just don't buy a standard bar

Agreed, personally I don't like sabre safeties... This limits rack selection largely to the powertec or the Force USA 'commercial'

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Powerman 2,

Have you bought anything yet or are you still researching?

I agonised over the powertec and the muscle motion for 4 days. I checked out both and finally went with the powertec.

Here's my review on the powertec rack:
I bought a second hand powertec rack with lat tower from gumtree ~2wks ago. I absolutely love it, extremely solid unit, safety bars are very sturdy and much more simple to adjust ( I wasn't a fan of the sabre style safety bars on the muscle motion, when you have to pull the bar it screeches), it doesn't shake when you push on it, chin up bars are pretty strong, lat tower I don't use much (but the wife does) but it has a smooth action.

It comes standard with one set of hooks, I wish it had another set of hooks to rest the bar both in and outside the cage.

FYI, I use the dip bars on each side of the cage, lowest hole to store some weight plates on.

The powertec bench I don't rate very highly because it's relatively difficult to adjust to incline/flat position and it wobbles. If I could do it again, I'd go with the muscle motion bench, not sure of the model, but it retailed at $345 when I looked at it.

I would highly recommend the powertec rack. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.