• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

which low-mid price aussie supplied barbell?

if you really want a bar that will survive being dropped from full squat height onto safeties...

get a 50mm solid bar of a high grade steel, get it knurled, get some collars put on..
2.04m would be a 40kg bar+collars. 2.3m = 45kg plus collars. make em 1.25kg each collar and you have a 50kg bar..
certainly isn't going to be $300-1000 per metre...

Last edited:
if you really want a bar that will survive being dropped from full squat height onto safeties...

get a 50mm solid bar of a high grade steel, get it knurled, get some collars put on..
2.04m would be a 40kg bar+collars. 2.3m = 45kg plus collars. make em 1.25kg each collar and you have a 50kg bar..
certainly isn't going to be $300-1000 per metre...

50mm could be hard to grip :)

Apparently the BOP220 from ABC is only going to cost $433 (just called), I think that's sounding like the go at this point.

Apparently the BOP220 from ABC is only going to cost $433 (just called), I think that's sounding like the go at this point.

That's the price I was given, i'm saving up for that bar in Black Nitride can't wait. Did you ask him about the used rubber coated grip plates he had?

Not yet, The new ones are pricey! Will see what he has or pick em up from world fitness which is pretty cheap (works out less than 2.50 per kilo)

no... i just asked for the price....

1 BOP220 AUSTRALIAN MADE OLYMPIC POWER BAR WITH
BLACK FINISH, 400MM SLEEVES
$394.22 each (+GST)

Sure you were asking about the same bar?

I was quoted $563.73 for the same bar.

Your negotiating skills must be awesome.

Steel recently went up 6-10% depending on supplier

$433.00 (in gst)
+ 43.00 (factoring in material price rise)
$476.00 still about $90 dearer, whats the bet you could negotiate it down to that price.

Thanks brick, I was able to negotiate down to $433

So my options are:

Troy Texas power bar delivered for $530

Or

ABC power bar delivered for $475

Price difference isn't a concern so which one will be the best quality?

I hear the Texas power bar has somewhat brutal knurl, which you may consider a disadvantage..

I have had the pleasure of lifting with one and can second what Bazza said the knurl is fucking awesome.

Edit: for the record I have used it for cleans too and had no problems with the knurl fucking up my hands although I do not use a hook grip.

whats wrong with buying used/2nd hand bars and plates?

many gyms have old well used and worn bars that are still straight.

I have had the pleasure of lifting with one and can second what Bazza said the knurl is fucking awesome.

Edit: for the record I have used it for cleans too and had no problems with the knurl fucking up my hands although I do not use a hook grip.

Some of us have tender/hypersensitive skin ... I've drawn blood with a well knurled seated row handle before, time and time again (years of indoor cushy work)

Edit : note said knurl is also pressing down into your hands on your bench press etc...

Some of us have tender/hypersensitive skin ... I've drawn blood with a well knurled seated row handle before, time and time again (years of indoor cushy work)

Edit : note said knurl is also pressing down into your hands on your bench press etc...

I've benched with it's fine, same for deads and cleans. The reason you are paying so much for the fucking thing is the wicked knurl. Please don't tell me you wear gloves when you lift?

yeah i have used the texas bar and the knurl is sharp, it may make a mess of your hands at first but fuck does it grip good