• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whey + Whey or Whey + Casein???

N-J-T

Hey guys just need a little advice, I am 16 so i don't have all the money in the world so i can't be having to much supplements.

At present i have one serve of WPI (30g) straight after my workout.

I am interested in what people would think is better to have, 1 serve of WPI before and after my workout or 1 serve of WPI after my workout and 1 serve of Casein protein before sleeping?

Which would be more beneficial?

:)

no need to have anything before IMO, I just eat about an hour before the gym.

i don't even have a protein shake after the gym anymore, i have 40g dextrose with 10-15g protein followed by a big meal about half an hour later. but i have about 20g of BCAAs during my workout. if i wasn't having the BCAAs, then I would have a protein shake at the gym immediately after finishing.

not really, a normal protein shake after the gym is like 30-40g... this is more like a little bit of protein with my insulin spike :)

Why wouldn't u just have the dextrose with a protein shake seeing as how ur taking bcaa's anyway. U may as well have the full chain of amino acids then just the 3.

i think it was Fadi who said somewhere that 40g dextrose with 15g of protein was better.

Can't remember the exact reason why, something to do with insulin spiking or something. the point was that the protein shake isn't meant to be the post workout meal, the dextrose/protein shake is like a primer, getting your body ready to absorb a massive lot of nutrients shortly after

since i've been doing it, my gains have been as good as they have ever been, so it definitely hasn't had a detrimental effect..

i think it was Fadi who said somewhere that 40g dextrose with 15g of protein was better.

Can't remember the exact reason why, something to do with insulin spiking or something. the point was that the protein shake isn't meant to be the post workout meal, the dextrose/protein shake is like a primer, getting your body ready to absorb a massive lot of nutrients shortly after

since i've been doing it, my gains have been as good as they have ever been, so it definitely hasn't had a detrimental effect..

Please read starting page #57 paragraph #3 beginning with the word: Intuitively...

Then flip the page and take a look at Figure 5.5 to see the different effect carbs, amino acids, or carbs and amino acids together have on post workout protein synthesis.

Thank you.

Nutrient timing: the future of ... - Google Books

Fadi.

Whey + Whey or Whey + Casein???
When faced with a catabolic state as one is around workout times, one would need to limit immune system suppression and quickly. WP does that. You can view WP as a V8 that gets you somewhere quick due to its responsiveness, and view casein as the maintainer of speed (anabolic state) one you've taken off the mark with WP.

Some bodybuilders take casein at night, not to get somewhere, but to insure they remain there (anabolic state) since casein has a trickle effect of amino acids, it feeds the muscle machinery over time (due to its slow digestion/absorption rate). I'd like to think of casein as the anti-catabolic instead of the anabolic protein.

Fadi.

Thanks Fadi, After all that said which one would you suggest? whey before and after workout or whey after workout and casein before sleep?

Hey guys just need a little advice, I am 16 so i don't have all the money in the world so i can't be having to much supplements.

At present i have one serve of WPI (30g) straight after my workout.

I am interested in what people would think is better to have, 1 serve of WPI before and after my workout or 1 serve of WPI after my workout and 1 serve of Casein protein before sleeping?

Which would be more beneficial?

:)

At 16 milk is your best supplement. It's cheap and has whey plus casein and will do more for you than any supplement.

Thanks Fadi, After all that said which one would you suggest? whey before and after workout or whey after workout and casein before sleep?

WP before/inta/post workout and casein before sleep. Just make sure that you have the ratio of 4:1 or 3:1 with Carb:pro pre/intra/post workout. So pre/intra workout, it's about 20g carbs to 5g WP, whilst post workout it's 40-50g carbs to 15g WP.

Fadi.