• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When to cut?

D1cko

Extra Large Member
Hey all
I've been hitting the gym during my 9 day stints at work and have made some good gains, but with that comes a little extra around the waist. It could just be a bit of Creatine effect but I was wondering when and how often should I go on a "cutting" cycle? Thing is, I hate doing cardio etc...
Are there other ways to shed a bit of fat for a few weeks then pick up the lifting again?
Cheers
Dicko

Keep lifting and eat better or less.

Abs are made in the kitchen/at the dinner table not the gym:)

Keep lifting and eat better or less.

Abs are made in the kitchen/at the dinner table not the gym:)

This. Cardio, though helpful (depending on the person), is not necessary for fat loss.

Anyway, most guys prefer to be between 8-12% bodyfat (visible abs, "toned" look, not competition-grade shredded). You could just stick in that range - cut til you're down to 8%, then bulk til you're up to 12%. Or you could make the range you work with a bit broader than that. Once you get above 15% bodyfat, it's almost definitely time to start cutting.

You do not need cardio to cut, only a calorie defecit to cut. I would say, keep bulking, don't worry about a little extra around the waist, you will progress much faster if you stack on good muscle (of course with a little fat) and take the sacrifices. Look at the long picture.

You do not need cardio to cut, only a calorie defecit to cut. I would say, keep bulking, don't worry about a little extra around the waist, you will progress much faster if you stack on good muscle (of course with a little fat) and take the sacrifices. Look at the long picture.

I agree, personally when I started in around feb i was sitting at late 15% BF and I've always wanted visible abs but I had to look at things long term. Abs now or long term gains of muscle and strength? I choose the later and have put on around 10kg since I started whether its fat or muscle its been good to see an increase in size. Now that I've gained some strengtha nd muscle I think that will actually help me loose the fat as I am now used to the whole routine of the gym and enjoy it/ motivated.

I agree, personally when I started in around feb i was sitting at late 15% BF and I've always wanted visible abs but I had to look at things long term. Abs now or long term gains of muscle and strength? I choose the later and have put on around 10kg since I started whether its fat or muscle its been good to see an increase in size. Now that I've gained some strengtha nd muscle I think that will actually help me loose the fat as I am now used to the whole routine of the gym and enjoy it/ motivated.

very good. How much are you weighing now at what height?

And btw op, im willing to bet on the bulk your all like, "omg im so fat." But in reality not really.

Also when cutting, "im losing muscle." Very common to think this

Welcome, Fadi has some good posts on this subject mate, quick search and his username will find em.

I've been thinking about this also!
I'm not sure what to do. I'm probably thinking "omgz I'm bulking, my stomach and neck is so fat"

I am 165cm tall around 65kgs (18 to 20% body fat)

What are you gonna do dicko?

Thanks

Thanks heaps for the advice, think I will keep up with building for now! Especially since right now I'm enjoying it more than than ever before, find myself thinking about my evening workout all day at work lol

Wow, now that was a good find! I remember writing that but no way was I going to find it. Well done and thank you my friend.

I wrote those words with passion, simply because I see so many wasted opportunities and physiques in war with yo yo dieting. Our body hates the ups and downs in weight and likes to gain (or lose) steadily. We sometimes (possibly due to our enthusiasm) forget that we're not pro bodybuilders, taking huge amount of steroids (which helps to maintain plenty of solid beef as one loses fat) and end up losing almost all the hard earned muscles we worked our asses off to gain.

So get freaky, (whatever that means to you), and then contemplate some refining. Otherwise, go on the merry go round where although you're going’ round, you're in reality still confined to the same place.

Again, I thank you LMD for your find Sir.

Fadi.

Last edited:
very good. How much are you weighing now at what height?

And btw op, im willing to bet on the bulk your all like, "omg im so fat." But in reality not really.

Also when cutting, "im losing muscle." Very common to think this

I'm floating around 85 +/- 1kg, I'm about 6'3". Didn't follow any "macros guidlines" or whatever just got in lots of proteins and what I think was sensible carbs and fats.

I'm floating around 85 +/- 1kg, I'm about 6'3". Didn't follow any "macros guidlines" or whatever just got in lots of proteins and what I think was sensible carbs and fats.

You need more muscle mass not fat loss. 85kg is underweight for your height. Get to 95-100kg then think about cutting some fat.

You need more muscle mass not fat loss. 85kg is underweight for your height. Get to 95-100kg then think about cutting some fat.

Really? That's interesting, even at 75kg I had a gut and man boobs, now more so, that's how I figured I was getting a bit to fat, guess I''ll need to focus on trying a lean bulk.

I am the same height and at 75kg (15 yrs old) I was very thin but not lean. At 92kg and lean I was still not that big. Taking into account that I probably have bigger size overall (bone and accompanying mass) than you (as I do most people my height) you would still want to be in the 90kg and lean area.

Now I'm confused

I'm confused now, I'm roughly the same height (6'4") and I'm 112kg's...I don't think I'm all that flabby, hence my reason to keep building. Last time I was 95-100kg I was a bloody bean pole!!!

I am the same height and at 75kg (15 yrs old) I was very thin but not lean. At 92kg and lean I was still not that big. Taking into account that I probably have bigger size overall (bone and accompanying mass) than you (as I do most people my height) you would still want to be in the 90kg and lean area.

I certainly want to get bigger and know I can do it but at the same time id like to get rid of some fat. Going to be my goal over the uni break.

I'm confused now, I'm roughly the same height (6'4") and I'm 112kg's...I don't think I'm all that flabby, hence my reason to keep building. Last time I was 95-100kg I was a bloody bean pole!!!

All depends on body type you are probably more like me and therefore need to be bigger. 100kg min for me if I was at 10% or less.

I decided it was time to cut back when i couldn't get my 87R workpants on anymore! got back from the 2 week stint at work and boardies and everything were tight. Originally i thought my work gear just shrunk in dryer/wash haha