• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When does training for performance become detrimental to health

Big Dave

Just wanted to put this question out there. There are always a lot of people who say that athletes must be much healthier than the general population. Let's just take a look at four examples, Olympia level bodybuilder, international power lifter, Olympic gymnast and top level rugby player.

With the exception of power lifters in the SHW division most people would say they look fit if you shows them a photo yet once they finish their competitive career they often have many injuries and potential health issues from their time as an athlete.

So what are your thoughts, when does performance training begin to compromise your health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the time after health has already been compromised. They know what they get into ad the risks invoked and potential injuries later in life.

They do what they do cause they love it, knowing well it could age the healthy wise 5-10 years ahead of everyone else their age. You have the odd one that would never get injured and live a long healthy strong life, but not all the time.

That's my 2c anyway

Moderation wont make you a top level athlete.

Moderation still has me lifting weights after 30 years of training, if you want to be a top level athlete than you must consider the injuries and health problems you will be dealing with in the future.

It's not just "top level" athletes. I know a number of people with stuffed knees, lower backs, hips and, yes, more knees. And they are one and all under 30. Many were injured during their school years, some after. So you don't have to be a powerlifter/bodybuilder/strongman/etc to have stuffed shoulders, knees or other joints.

Considering what the top 5% go through to get where they are, they are not doing too badly, compared to the general population. Besides, I think that you have a fair whack of old women having hip replacements, mostly from genetically induced arthritis but also from obesity. You can't carry around the equivalent of 3 plates of excess fat without it wearing something out.

If you want to be the best, you have to push your limits. But the best of the best know when to back off to enjoy longevity in their sport.

Pain is a good indicator

Many injuries don't give you any warning at all.

Some people play elite sport for 10+ years and come out fine others play backyard cricket one afternoon and break a leg. Its a hard one to control.

I mean who wants to get injured. If there was a reliable indicator for being about to get injured it would be useful for any sports person. There just isn't one.

Many injuries don't give you any warning at all.

Some people play elite sport for 10+ years and come out fine others play backyard cricket one afternoon and break a leg. Its a hard one to control.

I mean who wants to get injured. If there was a reliable indicator for being about to get injured it would be useful for any sports person. There just isn't one.

very true. Once had a kick of football one weekend, did a few light squats days later, and wham, cartilage damaged, idiot doctor (ten letters next to name) telling me all in my head after sticking stupid needles into me (thought he was chinese), and then surgery to remove a third of lateral meniscus.

Outside of injuries there are other risks as well. I remember reading that competitive cyclist had increased risk of testicular cancer compared to the average population.

Also on the point of obesity I would say that can also apply to anyone who is completely jacked as well. Carrying an extra 20 kg on your frame will place more stress on your joint regardless of it being muscle or fat.

Just wanted to put this question out there. There are always a lot of people who say that athletes must be much healthier than the general population. Let's just take a look at four examples, Olympia level bodybuilder, international power lifter, Olympic gymnast and top level rugby player.

With the exception of power lifters in the SHW division most people would say they look fit if you shows them a photo yet once they finish their competitive career they often have many injuries and potential health issues from their time as an athlete.

So what are your thoughts, when does performance training begin to compromise your health.

Sport is dangerous, any activity where there is a high risk of forms of impact on the body will expose one to potential injury.
Some forms of "training" to improve skill depending on the sport also involve that high risk. but skills work is necessary, skills work has nothing to do with gym work, two entirely differant things.

Where things go bad- is in the gym, this where I believe most of todays crop of strength coaches stupidly cherry-pick forms of exercise and methods from olympic lifting, power lifters and more recently cross-fitters.

As far as "health is concerned; you are either healthy or not healthy, there is no such thing as "super health", you are either healthy or sick.

Fitness; paid athletes, as with all sportspeople un-paid or paid are required to have a level of fitness to function at that required level of activity.

that's how I see it.

I think you would struggle to find anyone who is the best at what they do without any health issues from it. Even top level researchers can burn out from long days/nights etc. As was already said moderation is key. Being a jack of all trades, master of none isn't nearly as much fun though.

I think you would struggle to find anyone who is the best at what they do without any health issues from it. Even top level researchers can burn out from long days/nights etc. As was already said moderation is key. Being a jack of all trades, master of none isn't nearly as much fun though.

Ive never really liked the term (as a general term); "everything in moderation"
what is moderation?

Get a grip on this: many injuries are not acute (sudden) but are cumulative in nature.

That means that over time, over repetitions of deleterious lifting practice, some tissue or structure undergoes degenerative changes.

And..

Get a grip on this: when you start to feel the pain, the damage has been done, and it is often not reversible.

Cartilage, for example, does not remodel quickly, and degenerates with age even without extra abuse.

what is the general view from everyone about the above two statements?

Get a grip on this: many injuries are not acute (sudden) but are cumulative in nature.

That means that over time, over repetitions of deleterious lifting practice, some tissue or structure undergoes degenerative changes.

ie basketball players tend to have a lot of knee problem later on in life due to excessive force put upon the knee (jumping, landing, sudden stops and changes of direction)

None of which are bad on there own, but over say 15 years of continuous stress/load it will take it's toll.

Ive never really liked the term (as a general term); "everything in moderation"
what is moderation?

And..

Get a grip on this: when you start to feel the pain, the damage has been done, and it is often not reversible.

Cartilage, for example, does not remodel quickly, and degenerates with age even without extra abuse.

what is the general view from everyone about the above two statements?

I've had a lot of injuries and most are acute ones you couldn't do anything about. Broken ankles, dislocated knee cap, dislocated and broken fingers, broken ribs, torn muscles.

The chronic ones like you said, by the time you feel it it's already too late anyway so I'm not sure how you prevent that or how moderation helps prevent that either.