• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When does training become excessive?

I think if it ever got to the point where you were not focusing on work, family, relationships etc anymore then you would need to take a step back.

Do everything at a high level but always take into account to balance life as best as possible.

I think bodybuilders can fall into this sometimes where thats all they focus on, they dont go out, they dont focus on family, work, relationships and/or breaks up relationships - Ive seen guys who do this + combining that with jumping on the gas at a young age to try and become a pro-bodybuilder - you wonder what the point is? Its fantastic to be focused and have a goal - but you wonder about some goals and the end result/product and what it really achieves.

I think if it ever got to the point where you were not focusing on work, family, relationships etc anymore then you would need to take a step back.

Do everything at a high level but always take into account to balance life as best as possible.

I think bodybuilders can fall into this sometimes where thats all they focus on, they dont go out, they dont focus on family, work, relationships and/or breaks up relationships - Ive seen guys who do this + combining that with jumping on the gas at a young age to try and become a pro-bodybuilder - you wonder what the point is? Its fantastic to be focused and have a goal - but you wonder about some goals and the end result/product and what it really achieves.

Well said Joel

If it's no longer fun I suppose.

Its a hard one to workout. If someone wants to get to a very high level at something other aspects of their life are going to suffer.

Last edited:
If it's not longer fun I suppose.

Its a hard one to workout. If someone wants to get to a very high level at something other aspects of their life are going to suffer.

I think you will find alot of succesful have the ability to build a structured and balanced life - this is part of the reason why they are succesful - I think you need a combination of different aspects in your life to be succesful - if there is a single thing the drives you then alot of the time your setting yourself up to fail as there is no support network, no backup - nothing.

There is no such thing as over-training, but just under-eating.

Can't remember who said that but they must of been on allot of drugs for recovery too.

I go to the gym 9 times a week (4 -5 of those are cardio sessions/ and 4 different weight workouts, hitting body once a week), and in a effort to try get myself healthy - the usual case for the ones that think I am obsessive are usually fat or out of shape or lazy people that can't handle 5am workouts/ or just don't want to lift heavy objects.

I think you will find alot of succesful have the ability to build a structured and balanced life - this is part of the reason why they are succesful - I think you need a combination of different aspects in your life to be succesful - if there is a single thing the drives you then alot of the time your setting yourself up to fail as there is no support network, no backup - nothing.

You really believe elite athletes or world champions have a balanced life. Most would have anything but a balanced life. That's what it takes to be elite. Most people aren't gifted enough to have a balanced life and get to that level.

Listening to a UFC champion. He said everything in his life is all about fighting from the second he wakes up to when he goes to bed. That's one reason why he had been champion for so long and is now talking about having some time away to catch up on other aspects of his life he has been missing out on.

I think for most of us, finding balance is important, working out what that is, is tricky.

If you're gifted physically, I reckon your course is set pretty early in life, how he manages that (balance) comes down to their level of intelligence.

Good Examples?
Off the top of my head...

Tyson/Ali
Carey/hird
Warne/McGrah
Arnold/Menzter

Nearly every really successful person I know has a personal life that is a shambles. Multiple ex-wifes, problems with their kids etc.

You can't reach the pinnacle of anything whether thats business or sport without neglecting all the other aspects of your life.

Nearly every really successful person I know has a personal life that is a shambles. Multiple ex-wifes, problems with their kids etc.

You can't reach the pinnacle of anything whether thats business or sport without neglecting all the other aspects of your life.

Haha, I wouldn't call that successful.

Haha, I wouldn't call that successful.

Thats my point to really win at whatever game your playing you have to lose the game of life.

No such thing as balance for those with lofty aspirations.

You simply can't have it all, lifes not like that.

Are they truely succesful then?

I have always seen a common thread between really succesful people - being they have the ability to 100% focus on something but also still sustain a "normal" life and have a good network of support through family and friends....

Lets take for example Ronnie Coleman - when he is in the gym nothing else matters, when he gets out he can relax, spend time with family but also still has the ability to eat his meals and knows when he needed to take a step back from training or from family to focus on training - he even took 3 months off training/dieting every single year.

I may of just seen different examples of succesful people but this is what I have seen.

I know what Brick is referring to - the business man, or manager etc that is at work 7-7 everyday looking for a promotion etc etc and of course being succesful (I guess) - but a smarter man would know how to work 9-5 for the same results....

I guess everyone see's things differently but for me its about being smart, focused and having a balanced life...

I have always seen a common thread between really succesful people - being they have the ability to 100% focus on something but also still sustain a "normal" life and have a good network of support through family and friends....

I don't really know anyone like that. It would be extremely rare to really excel in something and still have that balance.