• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

whats your views on effort per set?

With 5/3/1 on my last set I stop at the point where I feel that if I attempted another rep I'd definitely fail.

It depends on the exercise, for say bench or military press ill leave one in the tank, but for squats or SLDLs if I feel my form start to degrade badly on a working set then ill just stop. If I am getting my brocurl on, then to failure is fine.

I think it all depends on your objectives, mine is to steadily get stronger while avoiding injury.

/trent checks which part of forum his in

main lifts running at over 95% for anywhere over 2 weeks will lead to injury with very little benefit in strength.

You would rather just work close to 75%-85% of percieved 1rm to get the volume in and then go for intensity to peak for a comp.

main lifts running at over 95% for anywhere over 2 weeks will lead to injury with very little benefit in strength.

You would rather just work close to 75%-85% of percieved 1rm to get the volume in and then go for intensity to peak for a comp.

This man knows what he's talking about (for a change ;-) ).

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Now get in there and train you lazy B!t@HES!!! LOL

Devante.

Do not agree at all.

I ran 90%+ for 3 months, going as high at 95% for 3 sets of 4.
I think my squat is not to bad.

Do not agree at all.

Would that be a true 95% if you could do 4 reps? were you going off a old 1rm or a current 1rm at the time..

a 1rm that was days prior, and none of that perceived 1rm bullshit, a true max effort.

Working at 90%+, you get very strong very fast.

You need to know your body very well though, and make sure your recovery is spot on. here is a squat cycle I did when my 1rm was 200kg

Firday before 1rm, made 200kg..... so here starts the program.

Week 1
Monday 3x4 @170, 1x5 @170
Wednesday 3x3 @ 180, 2x5 @170
Friday 5x4 @160

Week 2
Monday 3 @180, 2x4 @180
Wednesday 4 @170, 3x3 @180, 3 @190
Friday 4 @170, 4x5 @180

Week 3
Monday 5x5 @180
Wednesday 2x3 @190
Friday 4x3 @190

Week 4
Monday 5x5 @180
Wednesday 4x3 @180
Friday 3x4 @190

Week
Monday 3x1 @ 200
Thursday test max

190kg is 95%. took my squat from around 165 to 215 in just over 3 months.

You look at each session and you think, No. Fucking. Way.

Man up, stop being a pussy, and get your shit done and the results speak for themselves.

I also did ZERO deadlifting in this period, and it went from 220kg to 270kg.

a 1rm that was days prior, and none of that perceived 1rm bullshit, a true max effort.

Working at 90%+, you get very strong very fast.

You need to know your body very well though, and make sure your recovery is spot on. here is a squat cycle I did when my 1rm was 200kg

Firday before 1rm, made 200kg..... so here starts the program.

Week 1
Monday 3x4 @170, 1x5 @170
Wednesday 3x3 @ 180, 2x5 @170
Friday 5x4 @160

Week 2
Monday 3 @180, 2x4 @180
Wednesday 4 @170, 3x3 @180, 3 @190
Friday 4 @170, 4x5 @180

Week 3
Monday 5x5 @180
Wednesday 2x3 @190
Friday 4x3 @190

Week 4
Monday 5x5 @180
Wednesday 4x3 @180
Friday 3x4 @190

Week
Monday 3x1 @ 200
Thursday test max

190kg is 95%. took my squat from around 165 to 215 in just over 3 months.

You look at each session and you think, No. Fucking. Way.

Man up, stop being a pussy, and get your shit done and the results speak for themselves.

I also did ZERO deadlifting in this period, and it went from 220kg to 270kg.

Looks good mate...somewhat like a lower volume/higher % smolov...

I used a Smolov jr cycle for bench once and your right you look at it and your like no fucking way lol...

Last edited:
Do not agree at all.

I think we spoke about while u were running smolov back to back for last years nats.

Im not saying it doesnt work BUT my post was more for the newbies reading this who have yet to understand a grasp of their body and go out and push that 90+% barrier.

So often i hear new guys trying to run sheiko or smolov and after 3 months of training without a coach over-seeing proceedings then get injured.

Agreed.

But the thread is about what do we think about effort.... I think, that if people want to get strong, you need to grow balls.