• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What's Your Chest Day? Let's see how everyone varies

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
So I thought this would be interesting since I know everyone has different methods to the madness and different beliefs in working out. So I wondered if anyone wants to share their routine for a chest workout

Usually 2 or 3 different Chest workouts (trained on Sundays)

5 sets of Incline DB Presses (or Barbell Press)
4 sets of Flat Bench
4 sets of DB Flyes or Cable Crossovers

Reps vary
Rest pause, Drop sets, Negatives, Forced reps, Pyramid, etc

I do like the Hammer Strength machine sometimes. But prefer free-weights.

Last edited:
a combination of bench press, pin press, incline press, dips, flys with either pull-ups/chin-ups/dl or squats.

every rep is paused.

a typical workout would be

8 sets bench 50-85% 1RM
5 sets squats
7 sets bench 50-80% 1RM
5 sets db flys
5 sets tricep extensions
4 sets abs

Last edited:
5x5 bench
3x10 db press
3x10 db flyes
5x5 ohp
3x10 tricep pushdowns if I can manage it

It was a bit random at first but this is what I've done for the last couple of months. I might need to add more sets to db press because im not sure how much heavier I can go and be able to position the dbs on my own.

dynamic day: BB bench 8 sets of 3@50%
BB rack lockouts 4 sets of 5
OHP
'V' bar pulldown

Maximum day: BB incline 3x3 90%
Triceps pushdown
Bent over reverse fly
Facepulls

Last edited:
Upper Body
Bench x3x5
Pendlay x3x10
Weighted Pullups x2x6-10
Lat Pulldown x3x12
DB Bench x3x5
Weighted Dips x2x6-10
Seated DB Press x3x10
Curls x3x10
Lying Tri Extension x3x10

I can't bounce them along to tunes or anything but can make them jiggle a bit. It's just practice really

Main exercises -

Bench
Inclince Bench

DB Press

Machine flat press

Machine Fly

DB Fly

Dips

Pushups

Will normally be a mix (or all) of those exercises - anywhere from 2 x 4-6 - 10 x 10 - 5 x 5 - 5 x 8 - 3 x 15 etc etc

4 sets flat bb
4 sets incline bb
4 sets flys db
As heavy as I can go
I could be back in the 80s with that routine.

No chest day, only upper body day and generally at foundation strength levels.

Bench- generally working around a few sets at 5-8 reps at 140 - 150kg, sometimes higher reps and drop sets; occassionally doubles and singles out to 170kg+ when focusing on strength mode which is basically whenever I get a chance to train for more than two months continuously without interruption. Rarely!

upright rows- 50 - 70kg for 8-10 reps and 3 sets

dips- 3-4 sets with 20kg to 60kg attached rep range 6-12

Seated rows- 3 to 5 sets 100-120kg for 8-15 reps; a bit heavier if benching hard.

Sometimes press behind neck for variety - generally do these on a separate day if doing oly lifts. Work up to 90kg for a few if in strength mode, otherwise more reps at 60-80kg.

I do chest and shoulders on the same day as most exercises work both muscle groups.

Chest
- Barbell Bench Press
- Dumbbell Bench Fly
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Incline Barbell Bench Press
- Smith Machine Fly
(I've tried doing cable flies instead of using the smith machine, but I feel I can isolate the chest better with the machine.)

Shoulders
- Barbell Shoulder Press
- Rotating Shoulder Press
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
- EZ Barbell Upright Row
(Most of these shoulder exercises target the front and side of the shoulder. The rear gets a good workout on back day.)

Errrrrm are you talking about a pec deck? If not, I'm also intrigued as to how you manage flyes with a somewhat fixed bar.

Maybe he does flys with 2 smith machines - flat bench - then picking up 2 smith machines and performing flys. Why use db's when you take use 2 smith machines.

don't think he means the smith were thinking of more likely pec deck.
i train 1 set DB flies and 1 set incline bar press..
then i walk around ... recover and continue with back

Yeah, sorry. I shouldn't have said 'smith machine'. I meant the machine chest press. I'll use the wide handles that allow you to turn it into a fly/A-press.