• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whats the go with 20 rep squats?

Stevo82

I have moved to try out 20rep squats in the last three sessions and I'm loving them, however I'm not sure if I'm doing them correctly as I have been trying to push out 2 to 3 reps in a breath but sometimes I can olnly manage 1 between breaths. Also should I just do the one set? my last squat routine was
weight x reps
bar x 10
60 x 10
80 x 5
100 x2
130 x 3
100 x 20

I thought I would try the 20 reps because I'm trying to add a little size to my legs. Could someone suggest a better 20 rep squat routine?

the idea is that you just do the 20 rep set for squats, but you put every ounce of effort into that one set. you should have at least one deep breath before the rep from 1-10 then 2-4 breaths between reps 10-20, maybe more.

some say you should start at your 10rm but for long gains i would start at maybe 15rm and add 2.5 each time. you need to give you body those extra few weeks to adapt to the exercise before pushing it to the max. it will also stop you getting burnt out after 3 weeks and never doing 20 reps again.

in many of the routines i've seen with 20rep squats in them 1x15 of sldl are used, that may be an option to add.

[youtube]8Hz1iXJndYY[/youtube]

watch that

pay attention to the yelling, groaning and rapid breathing starting at ~5:00

Thats a true 20rep squat, probably best done in your garage rather then the local spa ;)

thats one mighty effort.

man that is gold, you see how happy he is at the end?

that is the meaning of life.

Anyway FST 99 i think what i was trying to say when I read that 'your enjoying them' and your trying to push out 2-3 reps every breath i automatically thought your not really doing an honest 20rep squat. Sure the 1st 7-10reps you push out quickly but the last 5 reps your definitly doing alot more rapid breathing then squatting and all you want to do is get the ****ing bar off you

have fun :)

That video is gold,
Inspired to do these again next week, and see if i can blow up my brain again.

Its been posted before But I like this one aswell.

[YOUTUBE]sbFGdpQD_O0[/YOUTUBE]

Mick, I'd like to make a point here re "no belt, no straps". If a lifter feels the need to wear such items for added support then so be it. I'm seeing too many "no this and no that" as if it is mucho to be without. I'm mainly directing these words to the young ones who look up to stuff like that and think its cool to be without or tough even.

My point: look after #1 (and don’t succumb to outside talk but listen to your own body and the message it’s sending you).

Just my 2c.

PS: That was simply one awesome video Mick. Thank you.

Fadi.

I like the video of the first guy going off his tits once he is done.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7ouQbZSheg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7ouQbZSheg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

yep I also agree with the belt comments, do what you feel you need to do.

You see in the vid I posted, when he starts doing singles he grabs his belt...

Yes Shane the first vid definetley shows how it feels to finally crack a pb on 20 reppers!

Last edited:
I like the video of the first guy going off his tits once he is done.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7ouQbZSheg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7ouQbZSheg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The coolest thing about this video is the Kaz and Fred Hatfield in the background. The sneaky squat suit is kind of funny.

i don't have anything original to say. I'll just confirm with a lot of other guys here...

when it comes to training, feel free to leave your ego at the door. If you need to use straps or a belt, go for it. You need to look after yourself. You've only got one body. If you screw it, you can't exactly ask your mum for spare parts or a replacement. Or can you?!

The best effort I have seen at PTC is Nick doing 162.5kg x 20.....3 deep breaths between each rep, old school way. I think 5-6 guys have done it with 1.5 x bw

There a harder work outs then just 20 rep squats lol.

On a side note I agree with Fadi in regards to the belt statement.

And I agree with you in regards to the squats and difficulty issue. In my opinion and one who had done 50+ squats, the burpees will take the cake. Nothing and I mean nothing will get your heart beat racing faster than burpees. The only time (in 30 years of training) I could audibly hear my heart beating out loud was when I did burpees.

Here's the killer king in my opinion:

[YOUTUBE]ST1MkSJHAOQ[/YOUTUBE]

Can I make it harder? Of course, but that would then have to be included under a section entitled: SADISM!!!

Fadi.

Last edited:
What do you mean, not sure I understand the question.

It was part of their session, the beginners workout, though they are far from beginners, they recognize it as the hardest session they can do, we limit it to 6 weeks at a time max.

As far as difficulty goes, most of them regard the 2 sets of 20/15 rep SLDL as harder than the squats.