• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whats the best way to use creatine???

JacksonAces

Recently started on Creatine, bought 1kg of Creatine Mono & was wondering what was the best way to use it? I've read that the loading phase isn't really necessary because after about 2 months of maintenance doses you're creatine levels end up teh same.

So I've just started on the maintenance dose of 5g/day - first thing in morning on non-workout days, and 2g pre-, 3g post- workout on training days. But Jeff Anderson recommends 2-5g pre- and post-workout & to use it with 100-250mg cinnamon extract to improve absorption. He also recommends cycling by using this dosage regimen for 3 months, then going completely off it for 1 months & so forth. Is that the best way? Does anyone here know a better way to take it? And where can I find cinnamon extract?

Thanks for your help,
Jackson

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about creatine cycling, but it should be used post workout. Things to help it's absorption are high g.i carbs, alpha lipoic acid, sodium chloride.

I don't see the point in cinammon extract as once your cells reach their limit cinammon isn't going to force more in there. Cycling it 2 months on one month off is fine. It gives your a body a chance to return to normal levels.

I don't see the point in cinammon extract as once your cells reach their limit cinammon isn't going to force more in there. Cycling it 2 months on one month off is fine. It gives your a body a chance to return to normal levels.

Just going off what JA said in his ebook -
"While creatine is effective, it can only work if it’s able to enter the muscle cells, and cinnamon appears to help with that. Cinnamon extract’s active ingredient – hydroxychalcone – both imitates the effects of insulin and also boosts insulin release. Because insulin helps push creatine into your muscle cells, takingcinnamon extract with creatine may enhance the muscle-building effects you’ll attain.

In fact, in one study, researchers found that methylhydroxy chalcone polymer (the most active compound in cinnamon) increased the glucose metabolism of fat cells in vitro 20 TIMES relative to the control subjects."

Not sure how true it is but worth a shot :)
Thanks

there is alot of studies that show creatine cycling is unneccesary, I dont cycle it anymore.

Also the loading phase is optional but if you load your creatine stores will be saturated faster meaning you'll notice its affects alot sooner.

Cinnamin extract sounds the same as high gi carbs.. spike insulin levels and insulin helps transport to the muscles more effectively.. its not necessary but more effective. I usually chuck it in my pwo shake.

What your doing is fine. Creatine can be taken anytime. some use it pre or post workout. does not matter as long as you take your 5gms everyday.
You can load for 5 days at 20gms per day spread over 4 doses, it just helps reach peak saturation quicker, once saturation has reached you maintain at 5gms this is why it does not matter when you take it during the day as long as you take it once per day after loading.

You don't need to cycle Creatine - biggest broscience ever. The only creatine I would probably cycle is Creatine Nitrate, as your body can build a tolerance to the nitrates, however apparently Vitamin C and NAC prevent this.

What your doing is fine. Creatine can be taken anytime. some use it pre or post workout. does not matter as long as you take your 5gms everyday.
You can load for 5 days at 20gms per day spread over 4 doses, it just helps reach peak saturation quicker, once saturation has reached you maintain at 5gms this is why it does not matter when you take it during the day as long as you take it once per day after loading.

agreed. i take mine with a protein shake and l-glut before bedtime.

Thanks a lot guys, has really helped me out. Figure I'm gonna continue w/ maintenance dose of 5g/day, probs PWO, & skip the loading phase. Glad I don't have to worry too much about when to take it, like Shrek said.
Cheers,
Jackson