• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] What's the Best Way to Exercise for Good Muscle Tone?

Christian

Active Member, June10MOTM
Something we all knew, but a condensed version for idiots who disagree...

The notion that lifting heavy weights will make you big and bulky may be a myth, according to a New York Times article.
In order to get bulky muscles, most people would need to consume extra calories as well, to the tune of well over the 2,000 daily amount recommended for many adults.
They report:
“For people who lift weights to tone up and slim down, experts say, a regimen that includes a combination of challenging weights and fewer repetitions can help significantly. In a 2002 study, for example… subjects lifting more weight fewer times burned more energy and had a greater metabolic boost after exercise.”
The conclusion? Heavier weights and fewer reps may be your best route to improving your muscle tone.

Best Exercise Routines for Good Muscle Tone

It recommends a 1 set workout routine (endorsed by ACSM it seems)?
I don't think I've ever heard of a 1 set routine before...hmmm...

Even the ACSM with it's terrible guides to resistance training don't say 1 set... They say 1 to 2.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wouldn't know what the ACSM thinks, except from the article, which is where I got the 1 set thing from.

"the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) -- the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world -- and the U.S. Surgeon General have also been recommending a 1-set exercise program for some time."

Would have to be a killer set with an awesome warmup...

Its no doubt 1rm is harder then say 5x5 you tac your whole system, with a 1rm 1 set regarldess of reps used look at 1 x 20 squats for example.