• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

whats counted as a 1rep max?

TrentZor

I tried Dumbell benching the 50kgs to. Usually would put it on my knees and roll back then extned it up. But my left arm would not budge and kept trying to collapse onto my head :rolleyes:

So i got 2 fellow lifters to give me a hand with each dumbell while my hands were extended from the top.

NOw if i was to do the 1 rep from top to bottom and up again. Would that still be considered a 1rpm

I think a 1RM should be a lift with no assistance.

In powerlifting they get assistance in getting it out of the racks, but they must still bench it the full range of motion themselves.

Ceffo,

Guess you're not really finding the "bottom" if you can't press from there at the start. ;)

Only kidding mate, I have the same problem on dumbell bench. I max out at 35kg dumbells for 8 reps at present but could probably do a touch more if loaded from the top. I get them up there the same way you do. I've found that if I keep the lay back a bit dynamic then I can get a bonus push for that bottom inch so I can lock my pecs and get them up into position, otherwise I'm trapped at hyperextension down low.

The joys of working solo hey!

Cheers,
Mike

PS I'd count that as a 50 1RM big guy!!

Ceffo,

otherwise I'm trapped at hyperextension down low.

The joys of working solo hey!

Thanks guys lol.. wasnt sure as i have a principle if i cant lift the weight up MYSELF then its generally too heavy for me and shouldnt be counted. :confused:

Only doing this for the PPP program due to start to see what my 1rpms are and work my weights out.. ;)

Sounds like a 1rm to me. Did you do it though?

yeah managed to get it done x2 reps. Although the left hand was about to cave in :D

p.s

(the personal trainer and the other bike bloke i see around helped me out.. God i couldnt trust the other part-time lifters in there with 50kgs over my head about to cave my head in :rolleyes:)

ok heres another one..

what IF u got a "little nudge lift up from rock bottom" and then started the full rep is that an indication the weights too heavy for you?

There is no point in a 1RM with a BB exercise.

A 1RM is usually performed on a competition lift - c&j,snatch,bench press,deadlift,squat

No body can assist in anyway on a 1RM, from top to bottom and back up, its all you.

The exception on a bench press is when the lifter cant remove the bar from the pins due to set up, height etc The bar is then moved from the pins to the fully locked out position, then the spotter steps back.

There is no point in a 1RM with a BB exercise.

Markos means there is no point doing a 1rm with Dumbell exercises.

Ceffo there are no DB exercises in the main part of the PTC PPP program. Its bench, squat and deadlift, all done with a barbell. Those are the only lifts you need to test your 1rm on.

yeps i was aware the PPP was all with the barbells. But was mainly trying to see where my strentgh was in terms of benching to work out my weights for the 5 repsrequired from ppp. As i never really tested it. mind you i did do the 1rpms on the bench/dead and squats earlier this week. Seems there is a disparity with my stabilizer muscles!!

Thanks for reply ptc. about lifting the pins off. people seem to have different views on it.

Hey, me too! :D

Markos just sent me his programme so I was trying to figure out what my one rep max lifts are.

This site might be of help to you:

1 Rep Max Calculator - 1 Rep Max Chart - Bench Press Conversion Calculation

I'm using that as my starting point as I know what my 8 rep max lifts are.

Cheers,
Mike

AWESOME gonna rep you for that!! :)

Wow so my 1 rpm is only 51kgs lol .. "big" diff from my 2 rep one

1rpmbench.jpg

Last edited:
why dont you guys just look the the program and see what you think you could do. im pretty sure week 3, set 2, is the highest rep of 5 so if your close to that or getting it then you should be able to use that table for your program.

doing a 1rm without training for it may not be the best way to gauge which weight to set for your program. i would use the 5 rep.

Last edited:
Wow......... last time I trained 3x8 I was on 85. I put that in, and its said 106. My current 1rm is 107.5. Pretty close.

Hey ceffo mate if you need the assistance to get the dumbells in position and then you are able to perform the complete rep without assistance id say that counts as 1 rep. Imagine trying to back squat 240kg but the bar is sitting on the groud... you need that assistance to get it in place, and then you can proceed to squatting the full rep on your own. i highly doubt you can clean and jerk the 240, then drop it back down into a back squat position and rep that out too lol.

Imagine trying to back squat 240kg but the bar is sitting on the groud... you need that assistance to get it in place, and then you can proceed to squatting the full rep on your own. i highly doubt you can clean and jerk the 240, then drop it back down into a back squat position and rep that out too lol.

Well, that's called a Steinborn squat 1RM. Look it up. ;)