• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What to buy?

So I ask for the 600kg muscle motion bar? Lol the website is confusing :(

I'd say go the 600kg bar, it's only an extra 20 bucks or so
then if you can get an ABC powerbar, (like Oliver said)

Bugger the pulley, if you can get bands then you can use those for assisted pullups and to add resistance to the big 3 (SQ, DL, BP). I'd say get a few pairs as you can get 2x Blue(MED) Red(SMALL) Orange(MINI) for the same price as the pulley, and you can do the same things anyway (hook 'em onto the pullup bar)

Anyway, thats my two cents
Anything I missed?

So I ask for the 600kg muscle motion bar? Lol the website is confusing :(

Sorry didn't answer you're original question.
The 600kg bar is here:
220cm Olympic Barbell_Thrust Bearing_Rated 600kg

and the ABC barbell is here: (ring or e-mail for a quote, but expect around $500-$600)
Australian Barbell Company | Olympic

I'd say go for the Black Nitride finish w/bronze bushes for powerlifting or the needle bearing for Olympic Lifts. (depends what you plan to do)
They make their bars in-shop so you can choose the knurling on the bar, I'd see if they would let you try different knurlings before you buy, but it's up to you

Cheers,
Jason

Fuck that lol

I dont have $500 to spend on a barbell...

I might get it later on once I am stronger etc and might add it to a colection once I think I need another barbelll...

So the one I am after from gym direct is the 600kg muscle motion barbell?

Cheers

I get a lol everytime that people are willing to spend $1K on a set of kettlebells or low quality bumpers and bands yet a $500 barbell or $1K rack that they will use all the time is madness.

Rule of thumb: if you wouldn't use it in a commercial gym dont use it at home, and if your short on cash spend the money on quality stuff that you need as opposed to tacky crap you dont.

For the record the 600kg rated bars from gymdirect are great, but i wouldnt think twice about paying $500 for a barbell that will eventually be my childrens.

For the record the 600kg rated bars from gymdirect are great, but i wouldnt think twice about paying $500 for a barbell that will eventually be my childrens.

I know someone is going to bitch slap the newb for asking a dumb question but what does the $500 ABC bar do (or doesn't do) that the $200 MM (1500lbs) one do ? Or maybe its better to ask, what do you get for the extra coin?

I know someone is going to bitch slap the newb for asking a dumb question but what does the $500 ABC bar do (or doesn't do) that the $200 MM (1500lbs) one do ? Or maybe its better to ask, what do you get for the extra coin?

Wank factor bruh...

I have used abc bars at my old gym.. I prefer my new one now.

The knurling and ring spacing is exactly what you'd have in competition, the tensile means that the bar will never give no matter how hard you squat and you get the piece of mind that the bar you're using is australian made by a company that has had a high reputation in australia for over 50 years. I paid $425 for mine, it is seriously not a big ask.

Fair enough. Thanks for the opinions guys. My bar seems fine. Doubt I'll ever be able to lift enough to damage it, its pretty damn heavy duty. Time will tell though. Don't know if I would spend the 2.5 times the cost on the ABC bar though. Guess I will know in 10 years time if my bar needs to be replaced or not.

Yeah. i originally bought a 700lb bar and managed to bend that, when I bought a second I thought i may as well spend the extra $200.

Yeah. i originally bought a 700lb bar and managed to bend that, when I bought a second I thought i may as well spend the extra $200.

Yeah fair enough, I would too if I bent one.

I think PTC use the MM bars and I haven't heard of any of them getting bent? In fact I haven't read of anyone on this forum with a bent MM bar? Anyone out there?

Its like midnight on a friday bro nobodies gonna respond :(

Markos likes the MM bars but he's pretty keen on the abc's as well. I got mine on his recommendation.

haha after all these replies and reading of the other non olympic barbell thread I am picturing Oli as a barbell bending UNIT :eek:

I hate to see people buy shit mate. You won't ever catch me telling you how awesome your go-lo standard bar is lol.

I hate to see people buy shit mate. You won't ever catch me telling you how awesome your go-lo standard bar is lol.

I can see where your coming from...

I would rather buy a MM 600kg rated barbell though and with the extra $250-$300 get quite a few kettlebells so then I can add some variety into my training if I can...

I think the muscle motion bar will last me long enough until I even think of upgrading and think I will get my moneys worth from it upfront...

I do understand what your saying though with the extra $$$ I would rather get a few kettlebells to be honest.

This is my thoughts when building a home gym - I'm sleep drunk so its off topic but anyway:

Where would you train if you didnt have a home gym? likely fitness first. And what would they have at fitness first that is useful?

- Squat rack with safety rails
- Olympic barbells and plates
- A bench press
- Dumbells to 50kg
- Somewhere to chin
- An ez curl bar
- Maybe a few machines

All commercial quality.

Okay. So lets be pragmatic for our home gym now. A commercial leg press for one exercise isnt a good investment. We can buy a power rack with a chinning bar built in and bench in the power rack too. When we're flush we add in an ez curl, dumbells and an incline bench and boom, we can pretty much do everything you can in a commercial gym at home.

Kettlebells, bands and bumpers are cool but wouldnt we just be sucking it up anyway in a mainstream gym? may as well save our $$$ and suck it up at home too.

Im happier with my cheaper bar and extra kettlebells/rubber flooring..

If i feel like it when i can dead 300kg i might buy a better bar.

I suggest daniel does the same.