• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What strength standards do you use?

kindred

I have seen a table I have done a test involving pushups situps etc and Have heard the old 2.5x body weight deadlifts, 1.5x bodyweight bench press, 2x squats body weight thing. Does anyone have a prefered strength test that gives a good indicator as to how they are going strength wise for there body weight/ body composition etc????

How would you rate yourself? Strong normal or weak? What does your routine look like and why do you think it makes you strong normal or weak? Do you compare yourself to other people your own age or just general adults? Does height or limb length come into the equation?

Interesting. These standards, do they include the bar's weight? I ask because in my experience Aussie, Kiwi and Brit lifters don't include the bar's weight when talking about their lifts, but Americans do. For Olympic bars that's 45lbs difference, enough for a couple of these ranks.

Some 1rep maximums estimated. The squats and deadlifts I deliberately limit the weight of because of lower back problems, I do other exercises for the same bodyparts instead.
  • Kyle's bodyweight = 78kg/172lbs
  • Press - 40kg/88lbs of plates
  • Bench - 61kg/135lbs plates
  • Squat - 80kg/176lbs plates
  • Deadlift - 80kg/176lbs plates
  • Clean - 60kg/133lbs plates
Given that, I am somewhere between untrained and novice on most lifts; though if you include the bar, I'm just past novice and approaching intermediate. I should note that their ranks are for weightlifters, weightlifters in the sense of being a footballer, volleyballer, and so on - someone who's focused entirely on that in itself, rather than on having strength for other tasks.

Either way, their description of novice probably fits me best: "A person training regularly for a period of 3-9 months. This strength level supports the demands of vigorous recreational activities."

It's hard to say what's "normal" strength, since that varies a lot. I live in a part of Melbourne with lots of Chinese and Indians. Some of the Indians are fairly big, but most are quite small, and almost all the Chinese are small. It's like when I worked in a factory for a bit with Vietnamese, I was the Aussie Hulk in that place.

But then I see my mates of European background, and I'm pretty ordinary. Or I see my mates of my age (close on 38), and lots of them have twig arms and legs, and big bellies, so I'm the Solo man in comparison.

So it's a bit confusing, and that's why my own standard is a personal one - to get back the strength I had at my peak, when I could bench my bodyweight in plates, chin 10-20 reps, leg press 3x my bodyweight, and so on. I use myself as my yardstick.

I think if people could achieve something like the level of strength I'm aiming at, they ought to have sufficient physical strength to deal with anything day-to-day life is likely to throw at them, and do alright in most sports requiring strength. But this is quite a bit stronger than what most city-dwelling people are, I think.

I never used to count the bar but have started to because it makes things more accurate. Yeah it is really hard to tell what normal is regarding strength.

At a guess everyone on here is between normal and strong, normal is normal and most normal people don't lift anything so...

I think it should be

Very strong, strong, normal and weak.

My GF being weak, average joe being normal and anyone who lifts any decent amount is automatically in the strong bracket.

I never used to count the bar but have started to because it makes things more accurate.
Yeah but the sites giving the stats, do they count the bar? Like I said, for many of us it'll make the difference in a category :)

I usually find, as I said, Aussies, Kiwis and Brits if they say, "I bench 100kg", they mean 2x20kg and 1x10kg on each side, ie 100kg of weight. Seppos count the bar, too.

Going on their categories, almost everyone in the general population is going to be "untrained". So even gym novices with a few months under the bar are "strong." If you train at all, you are probably in the top quarter of the population in strength, fitness and agility.

fitness standards

And for athletics standards...

There's an age-grading page here which will tell you your general class, given your age and performance on various track and field events.

You have to enter times as hours:minutes:seconds, like 00:20:00 is 20 minutes, heights and distances in metres, it adjusts your performance for your age (20s are the baseline) and gives a score,
  • 60+% is "local" standard,
  • 70+% regional/state,
  • 80+% national, and
  • 90+% "world class".

So for example my end-year goal of a sub-20' 5km run would be around 66%, putting me firmly in the middle of local athletics meets, almost good enough for state level.

Interestingly, reading about age-grades tells us that performance doesn't decline as quickly as we might imagine. In the 30s it's just a few percent, it's not until the 50s that it's over 10%. That is, a person of 20 who could run 5km in 20' would expect, if they kept as fit, to be able to run it in 22'50' or so at 50. The declines for the strength-related events like shotput seem to be greater, though.

josh's current weight = 75kgs/165lbs

Press: novice
Bench Press: intermediate
Squat:intermediate
Deadlift:intermediate
Clean:n/a

It's a massive jump from intermediate to advanced, gonna take a while to become advanced in all lifts.

I'm intermediate for all except press, which I'm advanced.

Do you think those standards are reasonable? I have been looking for something to guage weather I am strong or not.

Current weight 68kg 149.6lbs
max or < 3 reps about a month ago before i paused my training.

Bench 110kg / 242lbs = advanced + (132kg I am Elite lol..I can dream)
deads 110kg / 242lbs = novice + (122kg I am intermediate)
squats 70kg / 154lbs = untrained + (104kg I am intermediate)
M press 50kg / 110lbs = novice + (55kg I am intermediate)

I think this gives me some realistic goals to aim for when i resume training (except bench, my arms would break off at that weight)

other site

Bench Press: 4.17 = advanced
Squat: = 1.44 = untrained to novice
Deadlift: = 2.36 = novice - intermediate

Last edited:
Why would you not count the bar? The bar (oly bar) weighs 20kg. If you count a 20kg plate, why would you not count the bar??

Sure, that's fair enough. But we often just tend not to. It's not like we could do bench presses, deadlifts etc without the bar. It's a given, the baseline. It's "sea level" for weights.

Well I don't know anybody that doesn't count the bar, it seems stupid to not count it to me? I lift with a lot of Kiwi guys, they count it also...

the bar is weight isnt it :) if you were benching 100kgs (plate weight) + a 20kg bar (12okg all up) then went to a 10kg bar and put 110kgs of plate on would tell your self 'fu@k yer i jus jumped up 10kgs..' ;)