• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What should I take?

Gordon Akman

My general workouts/training:

5 mile road run a couple times a week (including pull ups half way through).

Heavy weights a couple times per week including: bench press; military press; lat pull downs; bicep curls; tricep extensions; squats; dead lifts etc.

Heavy bag work once a week with a range of dynamic stretches, static stretches and conditioning exercies i.e. sit ups, star jumps etc.

A 15 mile bike ride once a week.

Swimming/body surfing at the beach about three times per week for about an hour.

My goals are general health and fitness just wanting to continuously get stronger, more explosive, recover quicker and develop my cardio base.

I am starting a program this week of: Swisse Multivitamin; Swisse Joint Supplement; Dymatize ISO 100 WPI; and Musashi Muscle Recovery BCAA.

Any suggestions advice etc appreciated.

Yes, stay away from those overpriced brands such as Musashi and Dymatize, you are paying wat too mucc due to midde man mark-ups and and distributors.

Try the site sponsors for some great protein at value for money prices.

Just the thought of some one paying ridiculous prices for some BCAA's from Musashi makes me shudder. I hate Musashi.

That stuff is too bloody expensive Benno.
He'd be much better off buying bulk Beta Alanine and creatine and using this pre workout. Some WPC and that's all he should need alongwith a multi vitamin and fish oil.

That stuff is too bloody expensive Benno.
He'd be much better off buying bulk Beta Alanine and creatine and using this pre workout. Some WPC and that's all he should need alongwith a multi vitamin and fish oil.

X2

Don't waste your money on overheads

First and foremost, nothing beats having the right attitude. In my opinion it's 99% of what you need to conquer and achieve what you desire in all the facets of your life and not just the sporting/recreation field.

Having taken care of that, I would urge you to listen to what my fellow moderator Adrian has recommended for you and that is to go with the generics (if possible/available) instead of the brand names especially when it comes to protein powders.

Don't complicate the issue, eat well (enough) and be consistent in your effort, because as my other fellow moderator Markos has said many times before, it's the effort that really counts rather than simply going through the motions.

Last but not least, have you considered adding some barbell complexes into your workout schedule? By doing so, you will achieve some highly explosive power as well as metabolic endurance, not to mention adding variety and spicing up your training.

All the best.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your sueggestions and advice.

I'm not overly concerned about the price of supplements. They seem fairly reasonably priced to me. Shrek, I'd be open to taking a 'better' BCAA but the Musashi product is $19.95 so I'm certainly not concerned about the price. The Dymatize Whey Protein Isolate seems prices comparable to other brands I saw but if there is a better product I'd obviously change to that. Once again not really worried about price.

I'll check that Body Octane by MAN out. I'm 31 and been running/doing conditioning work all my life so have no trouble with cardio. The only issue I have with conditioning training is a bit of soreness from road running.

Shrek, that's why I picked the mix of products I did. I was told by someone who seemed to know what he was talking about that I should take: Whey Protein Powder every 3-4 hours; a multivatmin; and fish oil tablets. So if that sounds like good advice I probably just need to find the best brand/brand that suits me in those types of products.

Fadi I have used free weights a fair bit since my late teens but I'm living at Q1 currently and the gym, while ok for an apartment building gym, doesn't have free weights.

Thanks again for all your advice. Another quick question, should I definitely take fish oil tablets or are some of the joint supplement products good? The joint supplement products seem to be made from fish oil and marine ingredients so would you say taking one is better than the other?

Remember supplements are the 1%. Proper food, training, recovery and like Fadi said attitude are the the 99%.

Have a protein powder if you want it's not essential though, high protein food is better. You have to remember the supplement industry is pretty much unregulated they can claim anything they want and much of it is not even tested for safety.

Thanks all for your sueggestions and advice.

I'm not overly concerned about the price of supplements. They seem fairly reasonably priced to me. Shrek, I'd be open to taking a 'better' BCAA but the Musashi product is $19.95 so I'm certainly not concerned about the price. .
I don't want to insult you but $19.95 for 100gms is a massive ripp off, but you insulted me first by suggesting this.

The Dymatize Whey Protein Isolate seems prices comparable to other brands I saw but if there is a better product I'd obviously change to that. Once again not really worried about price.
again why spend extra dollars when you don't have to. why bother asking when you are not bothered?

I'll check that Body Octane by MAN out. I'm 31 and been running/doing conditioning work all my life so have no trouble with cardio. The only issue I have with conditioning training is a bit of soreness from road running.
Again, this is a massive rip off for some Beta Alanine. Again. Piss your money away.

Shrek, that's why I picked the mix of products I did. I was told by someone who seemed to know what he was talking about that I should take: Whey Protein Powder every 3-4 hours; a multivatmin; and fish oil tablets. So if that sounds like good advice I probably just need to find the best brand/brand that suits me in those types of products.
Hahahahahaha, of course they tell you you need whey protein every 3-4 hours, they are salesmen FFS. You need protein but not necessarily whey protein. have you heard of, eggs, chicken, steak, turkey, fish, tuna, nuts.. I could go on?
You need food not whey.

GA, Shrek's aim is to get you back to basics and for you to see supplements for what they are...supplements supplementing the basics. Sure, he's also trying to save you some money but as you've already stated, money is no object.

What are you after exactly?

Fadi.

As above posts have said only use supplements if you can't manage to get the nutrients out of your diet. Real foods are much better for your body.

Also even if you can afford the named brands there really is no point in wasting that money considering the product is the same just doesnt have a pretty picture of a naked man on it. You could use the extra money that you save from buying generics and invest in some free weights of your own. If you insist on throwing money away i'm more then happy to PM you my bank details.

just my $0.02

Cheers,
Mark