• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What gets you fired up for 1rm pb attempts?

I don't even psych up anymore. I focus (sometimes loud fast music helps this) then I step, grip, breath, and rip. The only lift that has a slight psych up is squats where I usually set up pretty aggressively to make sure I'm owning the weight.

The advice I got- which is the same approach as most Russian lifters I believe- train as you compete and compete as you train. I totally get the rev up and know it works for some, but I think a smart approach is to approach all weights the same way. If you train calm then go crazy in comp you can easily screw things up. I think habit formation, repetition and routine building can be very important. Sometimes I will yell a little when I compete- but normally it's a mechanism for releasing stress rather than firing up. I just visualize lifts and the environment at competition is enough to get me amped so I normally have to calm down.

oni what was your total around christmas time 2011?

Edit - Its late here and I cant sleep so I went through your log and answered the question.

December last year you were:
BW 66kg
Squat 95 5rm (so lets call it 110kg max)
Bench you worked up to a max of 70kg
Doing what you called "62.5% reps" at 110kg, so lets call it 190kg max.

December this year you're
BW 67kg (+1)
Squat 150kg but you've added wraps, lets say they add 10kg and call your raw squat 140? (+30)
Bench max at 75kg (+5)
and Deadlift at 190kg according to your sig (+0)

So you've added 35kg to your PL total in 12 months. Pretty awesome man.

Dunno about December but from January:

Bodyweight: 65 - 69kg.
Squat: 3x107.5 kg - 150kg (an easy but high 155kg)
Push Press: 3x52.5kg - 70kg (not done this in ages, forgot how awesome it was!)
Deadlift: 180 - an easy 190kg (then a redlighted 190kg after high volume squatting)
Bench: 70kg tng - paused 80kg

The 150kg squat was wrapless as well so it's 50kg I've added to my total since Jan.

must be on da juice

and he is so informed about training, it really shows in his results

"but the internet says your psych up will kill your squat"

I didn't say that psyching up will kill your squat
You're just making shit up now

No it's not
An exaggeration would be "psyching up would kill your recovery so much you couldn't train often"
"Psyching up kills your squat" is not an exaggeration it's pretense

Fucking kids these days don't even english

No it's not
An exaggeration would be "psyching up would kill your recovery so much you couldn't train often"
"Psyching up kills your squat" is not an exaggeration it's pretense

Fucking kids these days don't even english

and if you kill your recovery, you kill your lifts because you burn out.

Oni you'll be up against Yianni from my gym in the hybrids who recently went 160/120/210 no wraps. Strong guy. A good head to head for ya.

Oni you'll be up against Yianni from my gym in the hybrids who recently went 160/120/210 no wraps. Strong guy. A good head to head for ya.

67.5kg class? He's gonna kill me on bench that's for sure. Hopefully I can get my squat and deadlift up enough to be competitive against him

+30kg to a total in one year is good going and probably as good as it gets for a clean intermediate or advanced lifter. Things just plateau after a while. I think thats the point where people start to lose their heart.

+30kg to a total in one year is good going and probably as good as it gets for a clean intermediate or advanced lifter. Things just plateau after a while. I think thats the point where people start to lose their heart.

It depends how advanced the person is.