• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What equipment would you buy for an ideal garage gym?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Specifications: 400 square feet, 10 foot ceilings, $10k budget.
Goal: Improve strength/power with Olympic and power lifts. Accommodate you and 1 or 2 lifting buddings.

bars, plates, rack thats basically all you need to get started. can slowly add other stuff such as platforms, bands, chains ect over time so that u dont blow the budget. and if u dont go crazy and try to set it up all at once u could buy really good quality stuff; eleiko/ivanko
now idk the prices but say 6k on an eleiko rack, 2k on a bar, that leaves 2k for bumpers/plates.
IE has a pack, premium bumpers, ipf sizes (but not IPF approved) 2x25kg 2x20kg 2x15kg 2x10kg for $995
and 5kg, 2.5kg, 1.25kg plates for $80
so thats an eleiko rack, eleiko bar, and up to 177.5kg of weights for for $9075 (note: i dont know the actual prices on the eleiko stuff so they could be out by a reasonable amount.
by the time you need more then 177.5 u should of saved enough for more plates/bumpers.

only 1 bar/rack is needed for 1 or 2 buddies. because u alternate al the other(s) rest between sets.

i know id be happy with that sort of set up starting a garage gym!

You could do alot with that sort of budget... Hell, I started with $2500 and I'm only now upgrading after 3 years to better barbells and plastic-coated plates to bumpers.

You could do alot with that sort of budget... Hell, I started with $2500 and I'm only now upgrading after 3 years to better barbells and plastic-coated plates to bumpers.
yeah no shit lol, with what i said, all apart from bumpers are eleiko :p

I have a squat rack, pull up/leg raise tower, bench, 7ft olympic bar & plates and tree for storing plates. A range of kettlebells, rubber floor mats, assortment of powerbands and a bucket of chalk :):):)
Can do full workouts quite easily.

I'd get a power rack, oly bar, bench, plates, dumbbells, trap bar, ez curl bar, hi-low pulley, dip attachment, chest-supported row machine, calf raise machine.....and then spend the other $5-$6k on a snorkeling holiday in Thailand.

EDIT - I'd also get rubber mats.

Last edited:
Just lay down sheets of plywood instead of rubber.

Heaps cheaper, maybe just some carpet where you will be squatting/pulling/benching so your feet don't slip

I'd get a power rack, oly bar, bench, plates, dumbbells, trap bar, ez curl bar, hi-low pulley, dip attachment, chest-supported row machine, calf raise machine.....and then spend the other $5-$6k on a snorkeling holiday in Thailand.

EDIT - I'd also get rubber mats.

this defiantly.

Probably add a hanging leg raise equipment, bolted dip and pull up bar. Also a cable machnine, leg extension, leg press, leg curl.

Rack, oly barbell a quality elieko barbell and bumper plates up to 300+kg's, cable cross over, prowler sled, adjustable bench, power tower and some floor covering. With the change some kb's and db's.

monolift
texas power and deadlfit bar
old school plates
ghr
reverse hyper
bench
rack with band adjustments
chains
bands
lat pulldown
dumbells
chalk

done

ive got squat rack, incline bench with dip station, 200kg weights, 3 bars,1 eazy bar, pull up bar, dumbells and rubber matting for about 5 square meters. all up $700, just need to shop around.

farr out, 10k would almost be set for life

10k is huge for a gym set-up. Paz and my original gym set-up cost just over 2k and it served us fine. The extra stuff I bought for Gold Coast Barbell still brings it in at under 9k.

However in keeping with the theme.

Eleiko bar
Texas Power bar
Pendlay bar
EFS Collegiate rack
EFS Comp bench
EFS safety squat bar
Weights
Bumpers
Bands
Chains
DBs up to 70kg
KBs up to 80kg
GHR
Prowler
Tires
Farmers walk handles

Hmmm... that might actually be a bit over 10k actually. I could probably lose the KBs.

Once you have used proper quality stuff you won't ever want to use anything else again.

Yep this is so true. My cheap GD 1500lb bar is bent and I have never dropped it once. Not to mention it is so thick it's hard to grip. Should have just got a better one from the start.

If it is thick it'd be good to squat with.

I used a mastodon bar on Saturday *drools*

Yeah it's 32mm, ok to squat but even with the thickness it is still whippy. Must be very shit steel. Bench and rack pull suck with it. Too thick and knurling is terrible, very hard to grip.

On the plus side it's great for grip work.

Yeah it's 32mm, ok to squat but even with the thickness it is still whippy. Must be very shit steel. Bench and rack pull suck with it. Too thick and knurling is terrible, very hard to grip.

On the plus side it's great for grip work.

I used the same bar up until I opened my gym. I've never had grip problems with comp deadlifts because of it. But its bent as fuck now and rolls in my hands for bench on my back during heavy squats. Not fun.