• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What do you think it is that gives some people really muscular forearms???

kindred

Mine are stronger and bigger because I have been lifting weights for a little bit but I see so many people with stronger looking forearms than me and the rest of there body is way way way lagging behind. Kinda like there upper arms are the same size or smaller than their forearms.

Im not the only one that has wondered this as a few of my friends have asked the same question a few times.

It seems clear they arent exercising but yet have really strong forearms what could it be? Is it genetic?

I dont think its because they are labourers or trades people either as I have one friend who is an electrician and one thats a cement contractor and they both have smaller weaker looking forearms.

Genetic.
Same with calves.
Some guys have really good looking big and full calves, and you can tell they obviously don't train.

Genetic.
Same with calves.
Some guys have really good looking big and full calves, and you can tell they obviously don't train.

hahah this is me. a few years ago I was 100-105kgs a fair bit of it fat. So I was all flab but then had muscular calves, not ridiculously big, but as big as a serious athletes and just as cut. I don't get it, but I enjoy it.

It can be a number of things

Mine are stronger and bigger because I have been lifting weights for a little bit but I see so many people with stronger looking forearms than me and the rest of there body is way way way lagging behind. Kinda like there upper arms are the same size or smaller than their forearms.

Im not the only one that has wondered this as a few of my friends have asked the same question a few times.

It seems clear they arent exercising but yet have really strong forearms what could it be? Is it genetic?

I dont think its because they are labourers or trades people either as I have one friend who is an electrician and one thats a cement contractor and they both have smaller weaker looking forearms.

It's about what they do with thier forearms, sure masterbating has been mentioned but that wouldn't do jack, otherwise we'd all have forearms like arnie, lol.

If you do repetitious activities with your arms, with even moderate weight they will grow. So I would say if you find someone with decent looking forearms, ask what he does for a job, or how many times he masterbates in an hour, LOL.

There are plenty of excersises for forearms, just look it up. As for calves, lugging around 100kg + will of course give you hugs calves but running is good as well if your smaller.

deadlifts and farmer walks.

Above plus i know a few guys who dont do weights but are mechanics, tensioning up bolts and hard outdoor labouring type work like concreting etc will help. Genetics yes like the calves. Train them, buy some grippers or a Ivanko wrist/forearm gripper and work'em 3 times a week, you start with 100 pounders and go up to well over 300 pounds. Fairly inexpensive as well. Its a sport of its own, grippers, tearing decks of cards in half, phone books etc.
AZZA

and farmers too have strong forearms, hence 'farmer walks' lol.

Various chin ups every 48 hours should do the trick.

Forearms respond well to forearms curls till they burn at the end of every gym session, cardio or not.

i have good calves... mine are strong too. i am the only person in the gym who can calf raise more than a 25Kg plate... makes me laugh cause i have near 18 inch calves... mine were big too when i was fat. then i see the big dudes who have calves as thin as their ankles trying to calf raise as much as me and not getting anywhere... though they do have the better upper body... but still legs get seen more often than your body :p

Now what you need to do is grab one of the fat guys and lift him onto your back and use him to do calf raises.

...and use metric or ill punch you in the eye joking.

i have good calves... mine are strong too. i am the only person in the gym who can calf raise more than a 25Kg plate... makes me laugh cause i have near 18 inch calves... mine were big too when i was fat. then i see the big dudes who have calves as thin as their ankles trying to calf raise as much as me and not getting anywhere... though they do have the better upper body... but still legs get seen more often than your body :p

Wow, 18 inch calves with 15 inch arms....
Usually calves are the same size as arms.

My first post apart from my intro (sigh)

I have "popeye" arms. I have to lift and carry for the majority of my working day. Good grip strength comes from strong forearms. Anybody who has worked a hands on type job such as a landscaper, bricklayer, mechanic etc for a few years will generally have big forearms even if they don't lift heavy items all day.

Forearm curls

grippers

barbell curls work good for forearms.

anything you do using your hands operates your forearms,i have always been a hands on worker as well as working out for a long time,just my opinion but i dont think you should worry to much about working your forearms they get plenty, as in every time you pick up a dumbell or barbell or grip a bar of some discription, besides if you pull a muscle there you wont be doing many exercises at all .
but unless you are going into competion or your work isnt phisicly demanding i wouldnt worry they will grow with you.

possibly the most neglected exercise in commercial gyms

people always look at me funny when i train forearms thinking im a newbie with no idea what im doing. yet they are the ones using straps to shrug 100kg's

im not totally against straps
i only use them when my grip gives out and my target muscle hasnt fatigued yet

I was thinking about that exercise where you tie a rope through the middle of a stick the tie a weight plate to the end then move arms out strait and keep them there then wind up and down the rope. Has anyone seen anything like that? I dunno im probably just imagineing it.

I'm lucky and have decent forearms / calves as is without doing any specific exercises for them.

My calves are 18-18.5" which isn't too bad I guess, and my forearms are 15" and my upper arm is 17.5", I dont want the forearms to get any bigger or else I will be popeye lol.