• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What do you think is a begginers major error?

sometimes the pt's and gym instructors sorta have to give shit machine workouts to people. usually the untrained, elderly or female.
unless the trainer will be there for all the session, he cant prescribe squats, benches and deadlifts to some mother, or 50 yr old, or overweight dude. they will have bad form, not use enough weight, feel uncomfortable(and probably stop coming), be confused etc.

i know its not the best thing for them but its better than nothing. after 4-8 weeks of lat pull down and leg press the client will have the hang of pushing themselves, body awareness and see the benefit to Resistance training and then you can prescribe deads, squats etc. its not right but sometimes you don't have much choice.

but pt's who training their clients using only machines all the time are lazy retards, who don't know the power of resistance training.

you also have to remember that we all enjoy working out, we're lucky that we love to do something that is so beneficial to us.

biggest mistake beginners make - not using enough effort

What did all those people you describe do before PT's?

I know, we didnt have fat lazy people back then, beause we all squatted, deadlifted and pressed.

The reason they keep them on by giving them useless exercise is for the dollar, its a business first, doesnt matter if the client isnt improving, just tell them they are.

the range of people that go to a gym today are very different to those who went in the 70's and 80's.

people who go to the gym now, go to improve health, social pressure, body image.

before now the people i described didn't go to gyms. it was only filled with those who enjoyed the sport and were willing to learn and actively look to get better.

also people were a lot more active(back then) and the idea of exercise was non-existent. Living and working was exercise.

Last edited:
I agree it depends on your goals. Your not going to go into a gym do some 5 sets of 3 reps if you're a marathon runner. An older lady is not going to come in and want to lift a heavy squat (they should be taught full range movements slowly and with light weights as it is a maintenance of quality of life that is important for them).

But we are talking about lifters ie bodybuilders, powerlifts, strongmen, athletes, people who want to put on size and strength. Maybe we just need some new gyms specifically for lifters and to ban anyone from commercial gyms unless they are a middle aged 'would not pick up a barbell if it would save my life' person and anyone older.

We have some good info here maybe it should be a requirement of all gyms to have it as a large poster with neon signs all around the gym.

We are fatter and unhealthier now than ever before, yet more people visit gyms, a lot more

Please discuss and explain

maybe from personal experience .. i remember when i frist started before a good samaritan *very big guy pulled me over and explained

1. Doing bench presses only halfway down
2. Over-training
3. Not eating enough protien and couldnt figure out why i wasnt putting on any size fast
4. not doing any squats or leg work

We are fatter and unhealthier now than ever before, yet more people visit gyms, a lot more

Please discuss and explain

Most people want something for nothing.
Alot of these fat and unhealthy people go to the gym because it feels like they are doing something, but don't wanna really put in the effort to make a difference.

No effort, no gain.

Most people want something for nothing.
Alot of these fat and unhealthy people go to the gym because it feels like they are doing something, but don't wanna really put in the effort to make a difference.

No effort, no gain.

They arnt taught what effort is. or how to go about getting it..

A beginner´s major error is lack of consistency. It doesn´t matter how awesome your workout and diet are if you don´t stick to them. 75% of new gym members stop going after the first month, 90% after the first three months. Guess what, you don´t do it, it doesn´t work.

As for why more people are fat and unfit nowadays, it´s lifestyle. We move our bodies less and eat more.

A generation ago more people moved their bodies in work, more worked as labourers, in factories or on farms or in mines, now they sit at a desk.

More people moved their bodies in entertainment, a generation ago kids played kick to kick, now they play Nintendo.

More people got themselves to work or shops using their body´s power. We own more cars and motorbikes than ever before. Not many buff truckies, are there?

A generation ago most food was prepared at home from fresh ingredients, now more of it is prepared for us. When a company or restaurant prepares food for you, they tend to add salt and sugar, and process it so that it has more energy and less nutrition. We consume more calories than we did a generation ago.

Size is all about energy out vs energy in. We dropped our energy out and increased our energy in. We move our bodies less and eat more.

I realise that a conspiracy theory about PTs being the cause of all ills in society is much more enertaining than the simple fact of our moving less and eating more, but I think that rather than rubbishing everyone else to advertise himself, Markos should just stick to using the excellent results his clients get. More boast, less bullshit.

beginner´s major error is lack of consistency. It doesn´t matter how awesome your workout and diet are if you don´t stick to them. 75% of new gym members stop going after the first month, 90% after the first three months. Guess what, you don´t do it, it doesn´t work.

sorry kyle but i really wanna go against this , why do 90% people who have paid alot of money for memberships to gyms stop going ? Granted some are lazy and like the idea of telling friends theyve just been to the gym , but i believe its because there miss informed and mislead buy SOME (not including yourself in that statement as i dont know you) pts. Yes its true most eat more and move less but the question was WOTS THE MISTAKES NEW LIFTERS MAKE, and ive seen many a pt in shiney gyms showing a 20something guy silly exercises (ie pec deck ) .

New lifters should squat,dead and press and throw some curls in (everyone loves guns) not an hour of isolation exercises that will lead to pussy physiques , no new gains after 4 or so weeks and injury. i have a small gym were we lift,and i train boxers,to make extra money i visit shiney gyms to do crappy boxercise classes and to be honest it pisses me of to see these people pay huge amounts of money to be giving thr wrong infomation by some hair-highlited spray-tanned idiot weighing 65kg whos done some 4 week course just so he can touch up the 40 something cougar .....
Please dont take it personnaly kyle but there are alot of those sorts of pts.

Slight correction Kyle, seeing your a PT now.

Energy out versus energy in. Pretty simple hey.

Client A burns 2200 calories a day. If she eats 2100 calories a day, she'll lose weight. Correct?

How about if she only eats one meal a day, at 9.00pm at night. Or she eatsa total of 2100 calories of tim tams.

Or her macro nutrient breakdown is 5% protein/50% carbs/45% fat.

Two eyes, two ears, one mouth.

Keep reading Kyle, if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem.

Stop spreading crap like energy in v energy out, mass media has that garbage covered.

Five minutes in the job Kyle.

definitely over training.... the amount of begginers that I see walk into my gym to do 30 sets of bicep curls is crazy..

I was in a commercial gym for the first time in years yesterday.

This is one of the better gyms around. It has a separate powerlifting corner, some of the best equipment available, and Australian Powerlifting Champions training there. Its a serious gym.

While there for 30 minutes, I witnessed things I couldnt explain to Max. There was a guy squatting in a power rack, touch and go to a serious of stacked plastic seats, around 75cm high. I'm not kidding, he had a trainer instructing him, around 40kg on his back, a 6" dip. Stunning.

But the guy who was standing on a balance board, doing rack pulls, while sitting back to a bar, with his hands in the curl position, WITH AN EMPTY BAR, took the cake. Max was dissapointed that his dad with 30 years experience couldnt tell him what exercise the guy was doing. He too had a trainer.

This is a gym that has guys that squat 200kg raw and 280kg assisted lifting in the corner, and 300kg deadlifters on the platform.

The guy who took an $1800 Ivanko bar off the bench press, placed it in a power rack, put a 10kg plate on each side, then complete with gloves and a belt, proceeded to do military press.

I dont know how you guys can train in these facilities, that would drive me nuts. We had to go looking for the Ivanko bar as its the one to be used at the State Titles.

The gym was quite busy, but in the corner, there was thousands of kilos of Ivanko plates, bumper plates, 50kg chrome plates etc, unused, squat racks, lifting platforms, bench press, not touched.

Very strange.

I still class myself as a begginer. I train from home because I dont know of any gyms that have guys moving big numbers.
I'd say my biggest mistake is lack of drive. Im VERY determined to move the numbers that i have set in my goals this year, but I think because im stronger than the other 3 guys that come round (except 1 guy benched 130) im only pushing 90%.
I need to go to a strong gym in brisbane from time to time just for a wakeup call about how weak i really am.

Anybody go to a strong gym in brisbane?