• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What Body Type Are You?

What Body Type Are You

• Ectomorph

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Mesomorph

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Endomorph

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
All - my experience with the types scenario is you cannot ask yourself this question while you are training (or starting to train) as an adult. The older you get also skews the answer terribly.

This should be asked of your body type BEFORE you began weightlifting. So in other words, when you were 16 or post puberty (assuming you weren't seriously weight training at 16 or younger), what body type were you then? Skinny, fat, or known as muscular and big for your age? There's your 3 types.

When we are still somewhat 'children' is when these types are most applicable, in my experience. To simplify it completely, Ectos are the 'dweebs' and 'nerds', Endos are the 'fat' kids, and Mesos are the 'jocks' and 'sportos'.

After that, as mature adults, the lines are too blurred to be useful as just 3 types. Our metabolisms and ability to change up or down our training/eating etc are too much for such a simple 'types' system to cope with.

Last edited:
All - my experience with the types scenario is you cannot ask yourself this question while you are training (or starting to train) as an adult. The older you get also skews the answer terribly.

This should be asked of your body type BEFORE you began weightlifting. So in other words, when you were 16 or post puberty (assuming you weren't seriously weight training at 16 or younger), what body type were you then? Skinny, fat, or known as muscular and big for your age? There's your 3 types.

When we are still somewhat 'children' is when these types are most applicable, in my experience. To simplify it completely, Ectos are the 'dweebs' and 'nerds', Endos are the 'fat' kids, and Mesos are the 'jocks' and 'sportos'.

After that, as mature adults, the lines are too blurred to be useful as just 3 types. Our metabolisms and ability to change up or down our training/eating etc are too much for such a simple 'types' system to cope with.

Based on this i think I am Meso. Definately not a jock type in high school but always excelled in sports. Gain muscle easy, lose and gain weight easy.

this would have made me a "sort of" endo when I was a kid but an ecto from mid 20s ... omg just like my dad.... :eek:
is that even possible...to change like that?

Ecto lol, but short, so I'm not really that 'lanky'. But I agree with Candyflip. Now that I'm a bit older, its a lot better and easier to put on a little mass.

As a kid I was the classic Ecto...but once I stopped growing at around 15, I started getting bigger shoulders etc. I put 90% of my weight on around my lovehandles/gut...E.T style body lol....
Now I am slowly putting the bulk on and looking a little more meso

As a kid I was the classic Ecto...but once I stopped growing at around 15, I started getting bigger shoulders etc. I put 90% of my weight on around my lovehandles/gut...E.T style body lol....
Now I am slowly putting the bulk on and looking a little more meso

hmm interesting. lol

I think most of us are a combo D1cko ;) You're doing so well, you should be really proud of the strides your making and the numbers you're hitting! Am deeply impressed, I can't wait to see what the next few months bring for you :)

I dont see a category for "Mouseomorph" - why are my people never represented. One day our squeaks will be heard!! lol

The only body types are male and female.

Claiming being an ectomorph is not an excuse for not being able to put on weight.
Claiming endomorph is not an excuse for being too fat.

Ectomorph

and I read a book that talked about this and often bodybuilders
or even just people in general fall between categories one
week an Ectomorph the next week not etc.

Some exmaple of bodybuilding body types
Frank Zane: Ecto-mesomprorh
Dave Draper endomorphic mesomporph

What ends up is a hybrid of different types.

just my two bob

Ectomorph

and I read a book that talked about this and often bodybuilders
or even just people in general fall between categories one
week an Ectomorph the next week not etc.

Some exmaple of bodybuilding body types
Frank Zane: Ecto-mesomprorh
Dave Draper endomorphic mesomporph

What ends up is a hybrid of different types.

just my two bob

They bulk in the off season then cut for comps. It's not one week to the next, more like bulk for months then cut for months.

I'm the biggest (ie smallest) ectomorph on the planet. Right now I'm sitting at around 67-68kg and not worrying much about my bodyweight. 12 months ago I weighed this much, and it was the heaviest I'd ever been (although now my highest weight to date was 77kg about 6 months ago). This time 4 years ago, I was about 52-54kg, and the heaviest I'd been was 58kg at the very most. Growing up people often thought I was sick because of how skinny I am.

Of course, right now I only know that I'm an ectomorph because I have the OP to reference. The day I decided to forget about body types is the day I started growing, because on that day I removed the mental limitations of being such-and-such a body type.