• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What bar do you own?

I just got one of the new Iron Edge Power bars. I've only had it for a few days but it seems like a great bar. Whether its worth $600 or not is hard to say as I'm still coming to terms with the crazy prices of things here in Australia. It does seem pretty high quality though. Back home in the States I had 2 Texas power bars and an older Pendlay Oly bar.

Hahahahaa, welcome to the land of milk and honey mate, yeh were totally bloody rediculous in terms of cost, but at least we still got jobs for now lol.
Welcome to the forum mate, and how is the grip on that new Iron Edge bar as opposed to the Texas bars mate?

I just got one of the new Iron Edge Power bars. I've only had it for a few days but it seems like a great bar. Whether its worth $600 or not is hard to say as I'm still coming to terms with the crazy prices of things here in Australia. It does seem pretty high quality though. Back home in the States I had 2 Texas power bars and an older Pendlay Oly bar.

Keep us updated on this bar please.

2 Texas bars and 3 cheapos. I won't spend money on anything less than a Texas or ABC bar from now on.

Want:
Eleiko bars
Pendlay bar
SS Bar

Hahahahaa, welcome to the land of milk and honey mate, yeh were totally bloody rediculous in terms of cost, but at least we still got jobs for now lol.
Welcome to the forum mate, and how is the grip on that new Iron Edge bar as opposed to the Texas bars mate?

Thanks. The knurl is about the same size but the Texas bar is a bit sharper. It's been about 4 months since I touched a barbell so it will be awhile until I can work up to a heavy enough pull to really test it but it seems grippy enough.

I paid less for both TPB's than I did for this bar!

@Callan: Where do you buy a Eleiko bar in Aus mate? and how is the knurl compared to a Texas bar?.
contact Minh Nguyen at Titan Australia or i guess u could find him in the book of faces. im pretty sure he is sole distributor of Eleiko in Aus.

knurl is similar in terms of harshness, texas may be a little deeper... if i can remember correctly (havnt used a texas in a while), they will both make a mess of your hands.
but the finish on the Eleiko bars give optimum 'gripage' lol

Keep us updated on this bar please.

Hey, just thought I'd keep my word and give you guys an update on the Iron Edge Power Bar.

Due to a few injuries and schedule problems my training hasn't gone the way I would have liked so I haven't got any where near my PB's but there's no doubt this bar could handle anything my Texas Power Bar could. It resists rust far better than the TPB. I train outside on the patio and it stays outside 24/7 and only occasionally gets small rust spots in the knurl where the chalk traps in moisture but it brushes right out. It spins a little bit better than the TPB as well. My only complaint is that I wish the center knurl was as aggressive as the rest of the bar. I understand why they do it but since they already offer a dedicated oly bar than this should be a dedicated power bar.

Hope that helps.

Vintage ABC bar, 1400 between collars only 350 sleeves, and i think its 31mm thick.has got to be 15 years old still going great, but knurling is a tad worn from racks out wide. I got it as an ex gym bar Sowell used still strait, and spins... $100 Happydays.

A couple of 20 year old Samson Barbell Bars, and my latest is a $55 made in china bar from eBay I use for dead lifts.

Squat bar is home made and about 20 years old now as well, still going good.

We have

1 x Zhang Kong 20kg Competition Olympic Bar IWF Approved
Great for Olympic lifting. Is ok for deadlifting but the knurling is pretty fine on it. Squatting is ok, but it would whip at higher weights.

2 x Pendlay 20kg Bushing Class HD NexGen Olympic Barbells
Good for olympic lifting, not centre knurling like others have said make it poor for back squatting. I do like it for deadlifting because it does whip and the knurling is just enough to hold on but not tear up my shins.

1 x Ironedge Olympic Barbell
El cheapo bar. Its slightly bent and we keep it in the gym to use in the torsonator.

2 x ABC Power Bar
Good powerlifting training bar. Wouldnt use it for olympic lifting though.

1 x Ironedge Power Bar
Same as the ABS power bar.

1 x Gym Direct Hex Shrug Deadlift Bar (27kg)
Trap bar deadlifts or trap bar rows. Definately wouldnt use it for olympic lifting. lolz.

1 x Force USA Commercial Hex Trap Bar (25kg)
Personally hate this, anyone want to buy it? lolz. The handles on it are shoddy, and the weight plates dont actually sit on the floor, wierd arrangement.

1 x Force USA Commercial Grade Olympic Fat Bar (150mm)
Good fat bar. Its used in the gym for strongman training, grip work etc.

1 x The Log Bar (40.5kg)
From ironedge, good bar with two different grip options.

1 x Cambered Squat Bar (40kg)
Just had this delivered, its made locally by a friend. Great damned bar. Good for training pelvic stability.

Weve ordered a Texs Deadlift bar, and will be ordering an Eleiko Comp bar soon as well.

Texas powerbar for powerlifting
Hercules oly bar for weightlifting
Garage Gym G2S for strongman (i bent it doing squats so I use fat grips and tryres on it)

2 x ABC Power Bar
Good powerlifting training bar. Wouldnt use it for olympic lifting though.

1 x Ironedge Power Bar
Same as the ABS power bar.

If you could only recommend one of these two power bars for primarily bench, squats and deadlifts, no oly lifts, which would you recommend?

1 x Eleiko competition powerlifting bar (Titan Australia)

1 x Ivanko OB-28 budget bar (Aus BB Co)

1 x Aus BB Co ezi bar (Aus BB Co)

Next purchase will be a Texas deadlift bar (Underground Elite)