• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What are your thoughts?

mojo

Hello everyone,

I’ve been attending the gym for the past 3 years but have not been consistent. I’m now determined to take things seriously and hoping to see dramatic gains.

I have started a plan which seems to be working rather well but wanted to get some opinions.

Its 2 workout programs over a 3 day Split:

Week 1
Mon Workout A
Wed Workout B
Fri Workout A

Week 2
Mon Workout B
Wed Workout A
Fri Workout B

Workout A
Bench Press 5 x 10 Reps
Military Press 5 x 10 Reps

Workout B
Squat 5 x 10 Reps
Deadlift 5 x 10 Reps
BBR 5 x 10 Reps

My goal is to successfully complete 3 x 10 reps for each exercise on the current max weight. Once that is achieved I add additional weight the next time I return to the gym. It usually only takes two sessions to succeed.

For Deadlift, Squat and Bench I add 5 kilos
For BBR and Military I add 2.5

What are your thoughts?

Looks good, short and sweet
Maybe add lat pulldowns or pull-ups to the first workout, your backs not going to overreach all that easy

I like it, as Oni says, short and sweet.

Only thing I would do is put SLDL instead of BBR and add BBR to workout A, or switch out BBR for Pull-ups.

But that's more a personal thing.

Good luck
G

what is the point of this program when you could just do a beginner's strength program like the PTC one, or SS, or SL etc.

what is the point of this program when you could just do a beginner's strength program like the PTC one, or SS, or SL etc.

It's an individual thing I guess LAandE, not everyone wants to follow someone elses pre-written routines. I myself have gone down that path before. I made progress but not as much as I liked, so went back to a more fundamental program with results that could be verified by others who have done it. That's not to say that the basics of a program won't work when done with consistency and progressive weight added to each workout or there abouts.
He has the right exercises IMO, basic big compound movements, so should make some solid gains if he sticks it out.
There is something that attracts me (and others like mojo here) to the thought of making your own destiny in the iron game, so I understand where he is coming from, but I also understand why you question this as well.

G

Read here first... Starting strength!

FAQ:The Program - Starting Strength Wiki

Practical Programming (2nd Ed) Novice Program:Edit

For the first few workouts:
Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift
Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Once the freshness of the deadlift has worn off a little and the deadlift is established well ahead of the squat, the power clean can be introduced:

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
5x3 Power Clean

After the above is followed for a short time, chin-ups and pull-ups can be added along with back extensions or glute/ham raises for a break from pulling every workout:

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift/5x3 Power Clean (alternating)

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 Back Extension
3xFailure(15 max)* Chin-ups/Pull-ups (alternating)
Unweighted Chin-ups/Pull-ups are performed for three sets to failure to a max of 15. Once 15 reps per set can be completed start adding weight.

So a two week example of this last, more complex, version of the novice program using a Monday/Wednesday/Friday workout schedule would look like this:

Week 1
Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 Back Extension
3xFailure(15 max) Chin-ups

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power Clean

Week 2
Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 Back Extension
3xFailure(15 max) Pull-ups

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
3x10 Back Extension
3xFailure(15 max) Chin-ups

I do a similar thing.

A
Overhead Press 5x5
Chins 3x8
Deadlift 3x8

B
Squats 3x8
Bench 3x8
Barbell Row 3x8

I'm still progressing on every lift each workout. Keeps it short. And I can workout two days in a row if I need to no problems.

i recommend you do squats and deads on a different night, like what cott0n has done. that way one wont hold back the other because your tired.

It's an individual thing I guess LAandE, not everyone wants to follow someone elses pre-written routines.

It's called fuckarounditis.

Unless of course, you have passed the beginner stage where you actually need to start modifying your workout to keep progressing.

It's called fuckarounditis.

Unless of course, you have passed the beginner stage where you actually need to start modifying your workout to keep progressing.

No offense but I disagree with you, its only fuckarounditis if he doesn't progress on his routine and chooses to do inefficient exercises. I see a sound program designed with the 4 main compounds that decide any good program, and its basic enough to focus on gaining strength and technique progression.

Is it the best choice?

Probably not, personally I would rather see him do the beginner PTC program but if he chooses to make his own, as long as the fundamental compound exercises are what the routine is based on and he adds weight every session, he will progress.

I will admit that full body routines are better for the beginner and I am living proof that they work. I did the beginner program for 6 months before I changed up my training and gained more doing that than when I made my own.

G